Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Stamp Dealers have just missed out on 2000 pounds worth of QV 4d Red

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Stamp Dealers have just missed out on 2000 pounds worth of QV 4d Red

I listed on ebid 19 x QV 4d Reds SG79/80/82. I listed exactly the same on feebay.

10 day auction here with 10 auto reposts and a Front page listing. I offered them at £40 post free or make an offer - no takers

As an experiment I listed on feebay 3 day auction start price 99p they sold today for £25 so if some one had offered £26 on ebid I would have taken it. So, £2000 worth of stamps went begging and a dealer on feebay snapped them up.

Now it does not bother me what my stamps sell for, some you lose some you win. I always look at bottom line and as that it is always a plus then I am happy.

The point I am making is that a dealer or collector has missed out big time on ebid even though I front paged it, so where is the exposure?

Or, are buyers scared of buying, I don't really know

Kind regards
    Alan

http://stampsandcoins1.ebid.net

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Stamp Dealers have just missed out on 2000 pounds worth of QV 4d Red

Quote Originally Posted by stampsandcoins1 View Post
    I listed on ebid 19 x QV 4d Reds SG79/80/82. I listed exactly the same on feebay.

10 day auction here with 10 auto reposts and a Front page listing. I offered them at £40 post free or make an offer - no takers

As an experiment I listed on feebay 3 day auction start price 99p they sold today for £25 so if some one had offered £26 on ebid I would have taken it. So, £2000 worth of stamps went begging and a dealer on feebay snapped them up.

Now it does not bother me what my stamps sell for, some you lose some you win. I always look at bottom line and as that it is always a plus then I am happy.

The point I am making is that a dealer or collector has missed out big time on ebid even though I front paged it, so where is the exposure?

Kind regards
    Alan

I hope you told that buyer that you list here

Default Re: Stamp Dealers have just missed out on 2000 pounds worth of QV 4d Red

OP, I presume that you are referring to catalogue values as in the catalogues produced by the well known leading philatelic companies. As you seem to be making some criticism of eBid, please could you put your monetary values into context and advise readers of this thread of your best estimate of what percentage of stamp sales here and on eBay and on other auction sites usually sell for around their official catalogue values. I would guess that the percentage is small. In other words most stamps do not get sold for anywhere near their nominal catalogue values, especially if their condition is not as good as assumed in the catalogue valuations. If that is correct, it could be a bit misleading to quote full catalogue values as your benchmark when it is almost certain that those values would never be achieved on eBid or any other similar kind of auction site.

I am a bit puzzled about your comments when you have several eBid fixed price listings selling the same stamps you are complaining about at £2.80 each with free postage when at the same time you advise in their listings that their catalogue prices are £100. Once the cost of postage is taken out of your prices, you yourself seem to be happy selling at around 2.5% of catalogue value in some of your fixed listings so I do not understand why you are making comments about eBid. With respect to you, I doubt that you would ever sell these stamps for anywhere near £100 each because that is simply not their current market value. A good idea of their current value can be found by looking at the sold listings for these stamps on eBay. There are loads of these stamps for sale all the time on the internet so there is not usually a scarcity factor supporting high prices.

Some of your listing numbers that I am talking about are123874696,123874738, 123875763, 123878796, 123879991 and 123880030.

I am not trying to undermine you with this response but we have to remember that everything that gets posted to this Forum is available for everybody with internet access to view. There are always threads on this Forum that seem to talk eBid down unnecessarily and I am concerned that this thread is going to give the wrong impression about eBid if the numbers are not presented in the correct context.

Thank you.

Kind regards
    Alan

Maybe I am missing something here, but if you listed them here for £40 and they sold for only £25 on the Bay, does that not imply that you listed them too expensively here?

If you had said you listed them here for 99p and no takers, yet sold them for £25 over there - than your reasoning of lack of exposure would make sense.

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainlypostcards View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but if you listed them here for £40 and they sold for only £25 on the Bay, does that not imply that you listed them too expensively here?

If you had said you listed them here for 99p and no takers, yet sold them for £25 over there - than your reasoning of lack of exposure would make sense.
    Hi mainly and westlondoncarpets

I am not running eBid down, on the contrary, I promote eBid everywhere. I have had and hopefully will continue to have good sales on here.

I am happy to sell stamps at 2.5% of cat value (Unless it is a £5 Orange or a Penny Black Plate 11)

The point I am trying to make is that some one has a nice little earner and good luck to them. Shame it was from the bay and not a buyer from here and yes I will inform that buyer about eBid.

I have a number of these stamps left (catalogue value c£100 each) and I will list them on eBid at 1.5% of cat value..

Maybe I am not articulate enough to explain myself properly but I never knock eBid and I am happy to continue to list - and sell - on here. Ebid is so easy to use and so easy to list and I already have repeat Customers bless them.

I have only been here for a year so I am still building, I do not expect miracles overnight.

I have made11 sales on Ebid today alone so I am not complaining

Kind regards
    Alan
    Last edited by stampsandcoins1; 13th January 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Kind regards
    Alan

Hi Alan,

I found your experience a very interesting exercise and you have my empathy.

Now I do not know what your 19x 4d QVs looked like but you gave the lowest catalogue value of £100 for the three cat. numbers the highest being £140 in my 2013 cat..

Nonetheless it was a bargain at the price sold.

Point to remember is that not many would want so many. A good number would probably go for good quality cancels only.
    Also think of the many Bounty hunters looking for their bargains in ad nauseam is just a fraction here which point you have proved.

A buyer of such quantities if a collector himeself would keep the best and dispose the rest. A Plater or expertiser may want such as reference material.

The question you are really asking why it was not sold on eBid.
    The simple fact is and I am sorry to say, eBid does not have the traffic period. Explaining why and wherefore would not be approbriate in this thread.

In all, you put a valid question why it never sold here having done your bit advertising. Only you would know how to do better (e.a. point out to your previous GB buyers of the bargain)

I try not to fragment advertising too much but concentrate in one area avoiding advert mayhem.
    Facebook, twiitter and the like may well work some, not for me though.

So in this respect we should rely on eBid to do their bit which may need fresh approaches to keep attracting new members.

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philactica View Post
    Hi Alan,

I found your experience a very interesting exercise and you have my empathy.

Now I do not know what your 19x 4d QVs looked like but you gave the lowest catalogue value of £100 for the three cat. numbers the highest being £140 in my 2013 cat..

Nonetheless it was a bargain at the price sold.

Point to remember is that not many would want so many. A good number would probably go for good quality cancels only.
    Also think of the many Bounty hunters looking for their bargains in ad nauseam is just a fraction here which point you have proved.

A buyer of such quantities if a collector himeself would keep the best and dispose the rest. A Plater or expertiser may want such as reference material.

The question you are really asking why it was not sold on eBid.
    The simple fact is and I am sorry to say, eBid does not have the traffic period. Explaining why and wherefore would not be approbriate in this thread.

In all, you put a valid question why it never sold here having done your bit advertising. Only you would know how to do better (e.a. point out to your previous GB buyers of the bargain)

I try not to fragment advertising too much but concentrate in one area avoiding advert mayhem.
    Facebook, twiitter and the like may well work some, not for me though.

So in this respect we should rely on eBid to do their bit which may need fresh approaches to keep attracting new members.
    Good point and at last some one who knows what they are talking about, thank you The 4d ranged from space filler to VFU some were oblits. I have a further batch of about 50 which I am going to list individually starting at £1.

Good old eBid, I had 11 sales on Sunday and 17 yesterday

Kind regards
    Alan

Well good luck then with those Alan.

New word "oblits" but know what is meant in that context.

Best wishes from NZ

Erich,

Thread Information