Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

The behaviour of these companies, and of the media reporting is nothing short of a disgrace. And before anyone says anything, if they'd all come out in favour of Yes I'd be saying exactly the same thing.

If the companies had started warning 2 years ago that this would be the case and had continued warning that it would be the case, then I'd have no problem with that. Everyone would know that it was something to take into consideration. But to wait until a week before the referendum is nothing short of cynical opportunism. And why, suddenly do all these statements all come out when 1 single poll puts Yes ahead?

What makes it worse is that upto 800,000 people may have already voted via postal voting. Were they not entitled to know these things before they put an X in the box. http://news.sky.com/story/1334420/sc...g-their-choice

Here's some reporting from 9 months ago:
    Morrisons said it was "wrong" to say they were planning to hike food prices, with a spokesman telling Newsnet Scotland: "If an independent Scotland increased or decreased regulation or taxes we'd have to take a second look at our pricing. Clearly that could work for or against Scottish customers depending on the direction of travel."

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Asda said the supermarket chain had no plans to increase food prices in the wake of Scotland gaining independence in next year's referendum.

Lets see what's been reported about Tesco in the last week or so regarding price rises:
    "They said this suggestion was "entirely speculative" and wrote to a querying customer: "I can confirm that this is not true", adding that it had "a great business in Scotland" and would "continue to offer the best prices whatever the outcome of the referendum"

And finally, both Waitrose and John Lewis say prices would be going up. Except that they're both the same company.

So either: All of the supermarkets in the last 9 months have suddenly realised that they might have to make some changes to their systems Or, all of the supermarkets are making statements for political ends?

Which one is it? The incompetent, or the dishonest?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I wonder if anyone has kept a count of how many times Salmond has used the word 'scaremongering'.

post 800........hi carpets, I understand what you are saying, but it would seem that these companies are under the impression that a yes vote would mean a hike in taxes. I agree that they should pay their fair share, but would you not move your business if it meant saving a large amount of money?
    following in the same vein of taxes, I last night watched the "childrens debate" on tv. it was great to see how knowledgable the Scottish youngsters are. after each answer the audience were asked for their comments, one young lady in her comment asked "it is known that Norway and Scandinavian countries have more oil than we supposedly have in Scotland, so why are their income tax rates at 47%?". this without a doubt was something that needed an answer but was not even commented on by either yes or no. please don't tell me that they cant answer for other countries tax systems. maybe she should have asked "as Norway is independent and have more oil wealth than we have, will we have to put our tax rates to 45+%?".
    the only down side to the program were the idiot from the greens and Galloway who hav,nt a clue between them and the fellow in charge who asked for opinions from the audience and then ignored them. the youngsters of Scotland did themselves proud.

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    If the companies had started warning 2 years ago that this would be the case and had continued warning that it would be the case, then I'd have no problem with that. Everyone would know that it was something to take into consideration. But to wait until a week before the referendum is nothing short of cynical opportunism.
    Or maybe just good sense....

Veteran SNP politician Jim Sillars warned that they would pay for trying to scupper independence.
    He said: ‘When we get a Yes majority, we will use that power for a day of reckoning with BP and the banks.’
    Concern over a Scottish Nationalist version of Krystallnacht rather stifled businesses speaking out.
    Last edited by astral276; 12th September 2014 at 11:23 AM.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

BT, which has an obligation to deliver telecoms services across the UK under the terms of its licence, is understood to be particularly concerned about the cost implications of an independent Scotland
    Why is this an issue? An independent Scotland would be neither UK or British. BT have no obligation to deliver services to a foreign country.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHabitat View Post
    post 800........hi carpets, I understand what you are saying, but it would seem that these companies are under the impression that a yes vote would mean a hike in taxes. I agree that they should pay their fair share, but would you not move your business if it meant saving a large amount of money?
    following in the same vein of taxes, I last night watched the "childrens debate" on tv. it was great to see how knowledgable the Scottish youngsters are. after each answer the audience were asked for their comments, one young lady in her comment asked "it is known that Norway and Scandinavian countries have more oil than we supposedly have in Scotland, so why are their income tax rates at 47%?". this without a doubt was something that needed an answer but was not even commented on by either yes or no. please don't tell me that they cant answer for other countries tax systems. maybe she should have asked "as Norway is independent and have more oil wealth than we have, will we have to put our tax rates to 45+%?".
    the only down side to the program were the idiot from the greens and Galloway who hav,nt a clue between them and the fellow in charge who asked for opinions from the audience and then ignored them. the youngsters of Scotland did themselves proud.
    Problem with the business tax theory, is that current proposals are a 3% cut in corporation tax.

I didn't see the Childrens Debate last night. But I did hear the George Galloway was going on about fascists again. One interesting thing that did hear via some comments on twitter and facebook from parents was that some of the kids were asked to say that they were "No" or undecided as there were too many saying they were "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Or maybe just good sense....
    Concern over a Scottish Nationalist version of Krystallnacht rather stifled businesses speaking out.
    If good sense is telling the population that whatever way they vote there will be increase in prices and then 9 months later saying that if you don't vote the way we want then all your prices will go up, then I'd hate to see a bad idea.

Ooooh Krystallnacht. Good one! That's one of the few that I haven't been able to mark off of my Nationalists are Nazis bingo card!

Why is this an issue? An independent Scotland would be neither UK or British. BT have no obligation to deliver services to a foreign country.
    I can just imagine the board meeting. Right. That's Scotland independent. Lets just pull out entirely, abandon all of our infrastructure and investment and let someone else profit from the 5 million people. Great idea!
    Last edited by PetBazaar; 12th September 2014 at 01:03 PM.

pets, are you honestly saying that the program was rigged?, surely only the English media would attempt something like that!!!

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

In previous debates the BBC have openly admitted that they've been having problems finding sufficient numbers of No and undecideds to make up a balanced audience.

As I didn't see the debate, I'm only passing on what some parents have tweeted and Facebook'd.

That said, my personal feelings on the BBC are that on this particular subject they cannot be trusted and really should be registered as No campaigners. Fortunately, they appear to have forgotten that social media exists and you can frequently find complete versions of their heavily edited videos.

The most recent example is Nick Robinson where the BBC News version has Nick asking a question. The video then finishes with the statement that Alex Salmond didn't answer the question. Go onto Youtube and you'll find the same episode filmed by someone else. The full video is 7 minutes long.

Now once you watch all 7 minutes you can decide for yourself whether or not the question was answered. As I said in an earlier posting, part of the question was rhetorical and there is no factual answer for it. But to cut the film and state, as fact, that the question was not answered is pure and simply deception. It is not the actions of an impartial broadcaster.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post

Ooooh Krystallnacht. Good one! That's one of the few that I haven't been able to mark off of my Nationalists are Nazis bingo card!
    Ok, for a full house... State guardians under the Young People Act. The first step towards 'Der Salmond Jungend'? Parents rights overridden by the state.

The point being that if you follow a Nationalist agenda you should look at history where it went so badly wrong, learn lessons and be vigilant.

I can just imagine the board meeting. Right. That's Scotland independent. Lets just pull out entirely, abandon all of our infrastructure and investment and let someone else profit from the 5 million people. Great idea!
    I made no mention of what BT (and other Telecoms providers) would or should do, merely pointing out that their current licence obligations would not apply to an independent Scotland - as the quote implied.
    Last edited by astral276; 12th September 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Ok, for a full house... State guardians under the Young People Act. The first step towards 'Der Salmond Jungend'? Parents rights overridden by the state.

The point being that if you follow a Nationalist agenda you should look at history where it went so badly wrong, learn lessons and be vigilant.

I made no mention of what BT (and other Telecoms providers) would or should do, merely pointing out that their current licence obligations would not apply to an independent Scotland - as the quote implied.

I'm lost now. Who did even mention BT?

Reminds be of yesterdays great headline in the Guardian... " Independent Scotland 'faces doubling of BBC licence fee' "

It was only last week that we weren't even allowed the BBC.

Admittedly, the State Guardians legislation is a bad piece of law, but with good intentions... But it's a big step from that to invading Poland.
    Last edited by PetBazaar; 12th September 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thread Information