Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 41 of 109 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    Latest poll is now out, and this one is interesting for all sorts of reasons. The main question about voting intention is broadly in line with the others at Yes:32%, No:46%, Undecided: 22%, but it's the other questions that are much more interesting... So, without further ado, a selection of some of the best questions and results:

Both the Scottish Government and the UK Government (via the Treasury) have made predictions about the future of the Scottish economy and whether it would be better or worse in an independent Scotland or as part of the UK. Which, if any, of the two governments do you trust to make the most accurate predictions?
    Scottish 25%, UK 18%, Trust Both 10%, Don't trust either 45%

To what extent do you agree or disagree that: So far the Better Together (No) campaign has been negative rather than positive
    Agree 51% (net), Disagree 17% (net)

To what extent do you agree or disagree that: So far the Yes Scotland (Yes) campaign has been negative rather than positive
    Agree 32% (net), Disagree 41% (net)

To what extent do you agree or disagree that: I’ve given up listening to the debate as both sides just contradict each other
    Agree 63% (net), Disagree 22% (net)

To what extent do you agree or disagree that: Because both sides make different claims it’s hard to know who to believe
    Agree 73% (net), Disagree 14% (net)

If the three main parties supporting a No vote (Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats) came together and guaranteed to offer significantly more powers to the Scottish Parliament, would this influence how you vote in the referendum on September 18?
    More likely to vote Yes 11%, More likely to vote No 19%, No Change 64%

In fact, all three main parties supporting a No vote (Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats) have already outlined their separate plans for devolving more powers to Scotland if it remains in the UK. Are you aware of what each of these parties has offered in terms of devolving morepowers to Scotland?
    Aware of Con 21%, Aware of Lab 20%, Aware of LibDem 15%, Unaware of any 71%

In 2016, as a result of the Scotland Act 2012, a number of additional powers will be devolved to the Scottish Parliament.
    Were you aware that this was going to happen?
    Yes 31%, No 68%

If an independent commission / organisation was established to help analyse, check and confirm the claims of the Yes and No campaigns and the claims of the UK and Scottish Governments, how helpful would this be to you in helping you decide how to vote in the referendum?
    Helpful 66%, Not Helpful 30%
    Wow, the thing that stood up and screamed at me in this poll was the number of folks who don't seem to have enough info. to make an informed decision about an important matter. This reminds me of how the mainstream media treats us over here, like a bunch of overgrown idiots. Sad, really, as I'd always envisioned things being different (and somehow more enlightened) elsewhere...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Wow, the thing that stood up and screamed at me in this poll was the number of folks who don't seem to have enough info. to make an informed decision about an important matter. This reminds me of how the mainstream media treats us over here, like a bunch of overgrown idiots. Sad, really, as I'd always envisioned things being different (and somehow more enlightened) elsewhere...

The quality of the information provided by the mainstream media has been dreadfull. Hopelessly onesided in favour of the status quo, any news which favours the Yes side is generally ignored. Any news, no matter how tenuous which rubbishes the Yes side is relentlessly hyped. Occasionally stories which are demonstrably false are published as fact.

However, with regards the "not enough info" point.... Just for you, they asked that question too...

Using a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is ‘I don't feel I have any information at all’ and 10 is 'I have all the information I need', please can you tell me how much information you currently have to help you make a decision about how to vote in the referendum?

1 10%, 2 5%, 3 11%, 4 11%, 5 18%, 6 10%, 7 11%, 8 9%, 9 3%, 10 12%

So 37% (1-4) felt they didn't have enough information.

But wait, what's this... It's another poll from a month or two ago...

Q: Have you ACTIVELY sought out information about the independence debate, or only read/seen what happens to have appeared in front of you?

Have sought it out on the internet: 26%
    Have sought it out in newspapers/TV/radio: 21%
    Have sought it out from friends and family: 8%
    Have sought it out from the official campaigns/political parties: 3%
    Have sought it out from street campaigners: 3%
    Have not actively sought out information: 40%

So, 40% of those polled have made no effort to find out the facts behind what's probably the biggest vote they'll ever take part in. I wonder how many of those are also part of the 37%?

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

there 's very little on BBC News unless someone Politician is mentioning for or against

Hi Pets,was wondering what you think of the uniform of the scots team for the commonwealth games. I understand there are a few "not happy" people on Scottish radio programs. do you think it is a sign of Scottish fashion hitting the world stage?. having seen them on the internet I would call it the 1950,s look. maybe the team are going to wear it to win a bet.

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i think it is awful!
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHabitat View Post
    Hi Pets,was wondering what you think of the uniform of the scots team for the commonwealth games. I understand there are a few "not happy" people on Scottish radio programs. do you think it is a sign of Scottish fashion hitting the world stage?. having seen them on the internet I would call it the 1950,s look. maybe the team are going to wear it to win a bet.
    It's dreadful. Looks like some leftover curtain material. The white hand bag is supposed to be worn across the body to "represent half a saltire". Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous.

All-About suesjools
    Forum Posts

The quality of the information provided by the mainstream media has been dreadfull. Hopelessly onesided in favour of the status quo, any news which favours the Yes side is generally ignored. Any news, no matter how tenuous which rubbishes the Yes side is relentlessly hyped. Occasionally stories which are demonstrably false are published as fact.

However, with regards the "not enough info" point.... Just for you, they asked that question too...

Using a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is ‘I don't feel I have any information at all’ and 10 is 'I have all the information I need', please can you tell me how much information you currently have to help you make a decision about how to vote in the referendum?

1 10%, 2 5%, 3 11%, 4 11%, 5 18%, 6 10%, 7 11%, 8 9%, 9 3%, 10 12%

So 37% (1-4) felt they didn't have enough information.

But wait, what's this... It's another poll from a month or two ago...

Q: Have you ACTIVELY sought out information about the independence debate, or only read/seen what happens to have appeared in front of you?

Have sought it out on the internet: 26%
    Have sought it out in newspapers/TV/radio: 21%
    Have sought it out from friends and family: 8%
    Have sought it out from the official campaigns/political parties: 3%
    Have sought it out from street campaigners: 3%
    Have not actively sought out information: 40%

So, 40% of those polled have made no effort to find out the facts behind what's probably the biggest vote they'll ever take part in. I wonder how many of those are also part of the 37%?
    Wow, that's amazing! It surprises me a bit, as you'd think people would be more interested in getting information about something that will likely make a big difference in their lives. The bit about the news coverage bias also surprises me, as the best non-biased news coverage on this side of the pond is BBC News; it's odd they aren't doing a better non-biased job of covering the vote to be, after all, it is a huge event which IMHO will have lasting consequences.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Wow, that's amazing! It surprises me a bit, as you'd think people would be more interested in getting information about something that will likely make a big difference in their lives. The bit about the news coverage bias also surprises me, as the best non-biased news coverage on this side of the pond is BBC News; it's odd they aren't doing a better non-biased job of covering the vote to be, after all, it is a huge event which IMHO will have lasting consequences.

What's even more interesting about that particular question is when you break it down further. Here's that question broken down by voting intention.

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET
    Yes voters: 41%, No voters: 17%, Undecided: 15%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION IN NEWSPAPERS/TV/RADIO
    Yes voters: 22%, No voters: 21%, Undecided: 21%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY
    Yes voters: 4%, No voters: 8%, Undecided: 16%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM OFFICIAL CAMPAIGNS/PARTIES
    Yes voters: 4%, No voters: 3%, Undecided: 2%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM STREET CAMPAIGNERS
    Yes voters: 3%, No voters: 3%, Undecided: 2%

HAVE NOT SOUGHT INFORMATION
    Yes voters: 26%, No voters: 49%, Undecided: 43%

Three interesting points stand out here. A substantial number of Yes voters appear to be doing their own research on the internet to make their decision rather than using the mainstream media. Nobody appears to have much time for the campaigners when it comes to forming their opinions. A substantial number of No voters seem to have no inclination to search for information.

Even more interesting was an additional question:

Male voters: 30%, Female voters: 49%

This also seems to tie in with the fact that female voters are more likely to vote No then male voters.

All-About suesjools
    Forum Posts

What's even more interesting about that particular question is when you break it down further. Here's that question broken down by voting intention.

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET
    Yes voters: 41%, No voters: 17%, Undecided: 15%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION IN NEWSPAPERS/TV/RADIO
    Yes voters: 22%, No voters: 21%, Undecided: 21%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY
    Yes voters: 4%, No voters: 8%, Undecided: 16%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM OFFICIAL CAMPAIGNS/PARTIES
    Yes voters: 4%, No voters: 3%, Undecided: 2%

HAVE SOUGHT INFORMATION FROM STREET CAMPAIGNERS
    Yes voters: 3%, No voters: 3%, Undecided: 2%

Yes voters: 26%, No voters: 49%, Undecided: 43%

Three interesting points stand out here. A substantial number of Yes voters appear to be doing their own research on the internet to make their decision rather than using the mainstream media. Nobody appears to have much time for the campaigners when it comes to forming their opinions. A substantial number of No voters seem to have no inclination to search for information.

Even more interesting was an additional question:

Male voters: 30%, Female voters: 49%

This also seems to tie in with the fact that female voters are more likely to vote No then male voters.
    Interesting. I'm most surprised at the gender breakdown, (as I always do a fair bit of research myself before voting), but if the female voters are more likely to vote for the status quo, then I guess it makes sense in this case. I wonder why the gender gap in the Yes/No voting to be?

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    i think it is awful!
    When I saw the team picture I thought it was Marks & Spencer's latest fashion offering.

It was obviously designed by an English person who doesn't agree with Scottish Independence - Pre-emptive revenge.

Thread Information