Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 16 of 109 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Why would the No vote side need to give any answers.
    The vote isn't about the situation as it was or as it is. It's about how things will be in the future, and some might argue that information on what happens if I vote "No" would come in handy.

For instance:
    Are we staying in the EU or not? Can anyone tell us now that The Lords have rather made a mockery of the EU Referendum promise.

How will Scotland be funded... Is the Barnett formula going to be scrapped if we stay in the UK.

Will there be more powers devolved to the Scottish parliament as recommended by the Calman Commission, or are the main parties going to continue to ignore his recommendations.

I know, or at least I've been told, that after voting "Yes" there will be an attempt to get rid of nuclear missiles from the Clyde.

What if I vote "No", are we replacing Trident?

If I vote "Yes" we're concentrating on Green Energy (whether I like it or not, but that's beside the point, because at least I know). If I vote "No", then what? Fracking and Gas? Nuclear? Green? Flavour of the month?

So that's just a few reasons as to why the no vote needs to give some answers.

The White Paper may be a wish list, but it is at least a statement of intent. The no side don't even have that?

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Yes and no. I can't say I have read and analysed every word. As I have no part in the decision I don't feel I need to study it at that level. I have read through it though and certain sections have leapt out as being pure speculation; not based on fact, but on what the SNP thinks should come to pass on the assumption that everybody else does what the SNP wants them to do (even if they disadvantage themselves in doing so) - but no roadmap of what happens if they don't.
    I'm much the same, glossed over it. But I'd suspect that that puts us in a very small minority, I doubt that most folk have even bothered.

It does read much like a wishlist I suppose, but I guess publishing a Plan B would be a bit like admitting deafeat before you've even started. The SNP argument is all about hope for the future, so you can see why they've done it. Just don't ask me to believe it all.

But there's one thing a lot of people appear to have overlooked, and that is that Independence and SNP aren't the same thing. There's no reason, at least in theory, why the Conservatives couldn't be the first government of an Independent Scotland.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

So, now that George Osborne has explicitly ruled out a currency union in the event of a yes vote, do we think that he's secretly defected to the Yes side without telling anyone?

Ladbrokes, who aren't noted for voluntarily giving their money away, suspended all betting on this one when the story broke initially. Now that the Chancellor has made this statement, they're allowing betting again and are offering 1/3 on Scotland using the pound in the event of a Yes vote. So presumably they just don't believe him, and Danny Alexander (Chief Treasury Secretary) was on the radio last night denying the story entirely.

Answers on a postcard to... well, to this thread.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    ....Ladbrokes, who aren't noted for voluntarily giving their money away, suspended all betting on this one when the story broke initially. Now that the Chancellor has made this statement, they're allowing betting again and are offering 1/3 on Scotland using the pound in the event of a Yes vote. So presumably they just don't believe him....
    I think you may be confusing currency union (which is not on offer, good good good ) and the fact that an independant country called Scotland could use sterling as their currency but have no control of it in any way.

If I remember correctly Equador for example uses the USA Dollar as their currency.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Only just crawled out of my pit so haven't caught up with this yet. But using the pound and currency union are not the same thing. Scotland can call their currency whatever they like.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Only just crawled out of my pit so haven't caught up with this yet. But using the pound and currency union are not the same thing. Scotland can call their currency whatever they like.
    Agreed see Post number 153.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Ah, my bad there.

The bet before it was pulled was for a currency union. Misread it this time around.

If Scotland votes for independence I have no problem with them keeping the pound...but decisions on interest rates should be made by the Bank of England based on what is best for the remainder of the UK and not take Scotland into account.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

One of the sad things about this is that, whatever the result of the referendum, relations between Scotland and the rest of the UK will have been damaged.

I can't say I have seen what the view of Wales and Ireland is on the Scottish independence issue. It all seems to be Scotland -v- England.

Maybe that is down to every Nationalist party needing a bogeyman to blame for everything, breed division, and divert attention from their own true objectives. The English are the SNP's Jews.

Forum Lurker
    View abyorkie's Feedback (+1404)
    All-About abyorkie
    View abyorkie's Listings
    Forum Posts

If we can't have independance in/for Yorkshire then why should anyone else??????!!!!!!!!
    Only joking, hope it works out for the best, whichever way the vote goes, but I imagine it will cost a fortune
    Cheers Alan
    Please have a look at my shops, you may find something you like
    http://abyorkies-stamps-cigarette-cards.ebid.net
    http://abyorkies-old-manuscripts-ancestry.ebid.net
    http://antique-prints.ebid.net
    http://collectables-and-everything-else.ebid.net
    http://archibald-thorburns-bird-prints.ebid.net
    Thank you

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abyorkie View Post
    If we can't have independance in/for Yorkshire then why should anyone else??????!!!!!!!!
    Maybe the seeming silence from Wales and Ireland is because they are hoping for a 'Yes' result. They can then sit back and watch what happens. If Scotland crashes and burns then they are happy to stay in the Union. If Scotland turns out to be the land of milk and honey that the SNP promises then they will call for independence themselves.

In the latter case I can't see how they could be refused a referendum, given that Scotland were allowed it.

Thread Information