Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 104 of 109 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1083

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    Scotland is a country of diverse communities so not really correct to treat it as a single homogenous unit.

I can only speak about the part that I know about – Glasgow and the Clyde valley – because I used to live there. This part of West Scotland voted for Independence in the Referendum.

After the Union with England, Clydeside developed major trading activities with the English colonies. Clydeside was initially the main importation point for tobacco and then later an important importation point for cotton. This trade created great wealth which was invested in developing a substantive linen industry on Clydeside. Issues with cotton supplies resulted at the time of the American War of Independence and the subsequent contraction in the linen industry was never reversed. Instead, investment took place to develop the western end of the Scottish Central Belt as a major centre of manufacturing industry and this overtook linen as the main economic activity. The local abundance of good coal and high quality ironstone supplies led to the development of substantive iron production and later steel production in the area. This supported the development of heavy industry such as shipbuilding, railway locomotive and carriage manufacture, etc.. At the same time, the evolution of what had formerly been overseas trading activities into the British Empire gave the West of Scotland access to substantive overseas markets which were largely protected from international competition. Although still vulnerable to economic booms and busts in the wider world, heavy manufacturing boomed and this part of Scotland was the most important centre for heavy industry in the British Empire. Glasgow was referred to as the Second City of the Empire and the well worn phrase that ‘the Empire made Glasgow and Glasgow made the Empire’ was quite literally true. The heavy engineering in the Glasgow area could have not developed to such an extent without the markets of the Empire. The manufacturing activities in the Glasgow area made a lot of the products used to build the Empire. At peak times, half of the world’s shipping tonnage was built on the Clyde, a quarter of the world’s railway locomotives were built on the Clyde, etc.. Heavy industry was hit by the global depression in the 1930s. In the post World War 2 period, the ending of the British Empire and the loss of the Empire’s protected markets meant that the area’s heavy industry had for the first time to beat international competition to survive. For many reasons such as lack of investment to modernise production methods, poor quality management, poor industrial relations, lack of meaningful Government support, cheap labour costs in places like the Far East, and so on, much of the area’s heavy manufacturing could not hold its own in international markets and has suffered a long and steady decline in the post war era until we reach the situation today where most of it has gone.

In parallel with manufacturing decline is housing. The housing supply was completely inadequate to deal with the large influx of workers into the Clyde area when industry was booming and Clydeside had the worst overcrowding and the worst housing conditions in the UK. It had the worst slums in Europe. Post war, a lot of the old tenements were demolished and their residents decanted to large sprawling publicly owned housing schemes on the peripheries of the city. These schemes were built without social or community facilities and without any business or industries to provide employment. Consequently, these schemes have experienced very high levels of unemployment through several generations together with social issues such as high levels of alcohol and drug abuse.

The key point to make after such a long discourse and in the context of the Referendum is that the post war political set up has failed to address the substantive strategic issue of the decline of manufacturing in what was the British Empire’s most important manufacturing area. At the macro level, the Conservative party mentality that markets always know best and that the State should keep itself as small as possible has failed on Clydeside because the evidence over several decades has been that the private sector has not stepped in to regenerate the area sufficiently. The Labour party experience has been that although they tried to make a difference in some ways, they completely failed to recognise the size of the task and the resources needed. Harold Wilson’s Linwood car factory venture was doomed to fail because it made no economic sense for car panels to be produced down south and then transported to Linwood for assembly. The attempts at rationalising the shipbuilding industry so that it could compete with the new low labour cost shipyards in the Far East which were able to achieve greater economies of scale were not adequate because the initial scoping of how much needed to be done missed the point. At the micro level, a lot of smaller local publicly funded initiatives have produced benefits but collectively not enough to sort out the wider picture.

So where does that leave Clydeside now with around 30% of households workless and dependent upon the welfare state? Well, the Westminster set up has failed over the decades to support Clydeside adequately through this massive decline and there is no prospect on the horizon of any of the mainstream parties understanding what needs to be done to turn the situation around. The very high unemployment levels on Clydeside will continue. The social and behavioural breakdowns on Clydeside will continue. The UK taxpayer will continue to fund welfare benefits for Clydeside. The real tragedy of all of this is that so much public money has been misused on Clydeside – instead of using it to develop a vibrant regional economy that would provide employment that would pay taxes, successive Governments have used it to fund the consequences of unemployment that does not pay taxes.

In the absence of such failure, it is no wonder that the electorate look for some new political way out of the impasse. If Westminster has failed Clydeside, then an Edinburgh Parliament is not likely to do any worse and in all probability would do better. In my view, hence the Independence vote on Clydeside. And in my view, hence part of the reason why the Labour vote is crumbling on Clydeside.

The good news about the Referendum is that people in Scotland are now talking about issues and some are even daring to believe that solutions are possible.
    A lot of good info. here, thanks for sharing it. What you said regarding Clydeside reminds me a fair bit of what has happened in NY in recent decades, at least the part I hail from, (the far upstate area), in loss of manufacturing jobs and markets. Fortunately, NYers are a resourceful lot and it seems to me that the Scots are, too. I do hope there will be more economic development in days and years to come that benefits all segments of the UK, instead of cheap political promises like we've all heard again and again, which make little to no difference in the lives of most of us working folks.

Thanks again for this thread from a Yank who much enjoys learning about the rest of the world, (something one can't get from Faux News and the like).

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a thought: "the British Empire’s most important manufacturing area." - is that true?

I would have thought the West Midlands would have been: Birmingham, city of a thousand trades, "Workshop to the World".

This area has suffered similar reductions in manufacturing, (attributed to Thatcher, but actually beginning much sooner), but has not evolved into what you claim Scotland has become. Similarly, Sheffield with the loss of the tool and cutlery industry, is dotted with empty factories, as is Manchester. They seem to have found a different solution to that of Scotland.

We are given a picture of Scotland as a bleak landscape, covered with the broken-down shells of old factories. Where the only option is a life on the dole. Populated by families dressed entirely in shell suits, whose only recreation is a trip to the betting office or the food bank. And it's all the fault of Thatcher.

If you do any research about British Industry (as I do when trying to date tools), you find that manufacturing industry started to decline in the Sixties, and that decline was particularly marked in the 1970s. Years before Thatcher was Prime Minister, and had any influence.

Thatcher's influence covered the whole of the UK, so why have different regions evolved differently?

Why don't people in Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds sit back and blame Westminster?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    Years before Thatcher was Prime Minister, and had any influence.
    All Thatcher did was give the order to switch off life support to what had already been dead for years; killed by the unions and a work shy workforce.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a thought: "the British Empire’s most important manufacturing area." - is that true?

I would have thought the West Midlands would have been: Birmingham, city of a thousand trades, "Workshop to the World".

This area has suffered similar reductions in manufacturing, (attributed to Thatcher, but actually beginning much sooner), but has not evolved into what you claim Scotland has become. Similarly, Sheffield with the loss of the tool and cutlery industry, is dotted with empty factories, as is Manchester. They seem to have found a different solution to that of Scotland.

We are given a picture of Scotland as a bleak landscape, covered with the broken-down shells of old factories. Where the only option is a life on the dole. Populated by families dressed entirely in shell suits, whose only recreation is a trip to the betting office or the food bank. And it's all the fault of Thatcher.

If you do any research about British Industry (as I do when trying to date tools), you find that manufacturing industry started to decline in the Sixties, and that decline was particularly marked in the 1970s. Years before Thatcher was Prime Minister, and had any influence.

Thatcher's influence covered the whole of the UK, so why have different regions evolved differently?

Why don't people in Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds sit back and blame Westminster?

Not sure if it was the most important manufacturing area, but would certainly have been a contender.

Perhaps it was a different type of manufacturing. Glasgow for a long time was regarded as the "second city of the Empire" and Clydebuilt became a stamp of quality the world over. With an average of one ship launched every two days between about 1880 and 1950 (1 ship every day in 1913), something like a quarter of the production of the world's shipping tonnage was built on the Clyde, around 30,000 ships in total. Add to that, 20% of all the steel produced in the UK and 33% of all the railway locomotives. Once the various Locomotive builders amalgamated into the North British Locomotive Company in the early 1900s it was, for a time, the largest in the world, producing 600 engines a year (28,000 in total) and exported pretty much everywhere until it closed in the 60s.

All, sadly, long gone. But as you say much of the rot set in long before Thatcher ever arrived.

The North British shut down because it was unable to make the jump from steam, to diesel/electric locomotive building. Their early efforts were plagued with reliability problems and the money ran out long before they really perfected it. Shipyards started their decline once the post-WW2 ship building boom came to an end.

As has been said previously. Thatcher in many cases just cut of the life support, she didn't cause the problems in the first place. In some cases the yards could have had a future but whilst the machinery was upgraded in those with the most potential, the working practices weren't. In an interview in 1998, one Union official said something that was very telling...

"We wouldn't change, we still held the reins. Instead of looking forward, trying to get the best arrangement so that you could retain jobs rather than let them go to Japan or Germany, we held on right to the end. No flexibility … We were the same as the Luddites."

However, that said, our complete lack of a sensible industrial strategy since then compounded the problem and caused the demise of most of the rest of our heavy industry. Where, I believe, we differ from the rest of the UK is with our, until now, unfailing support of the Labour party.

Entrepreneurship in Scotland has long since died. Why invest in something risky, like a shipyard or a factory, when you can make a profit just by owning a house? We've come to believe that we can't cope without someone there to bail us out. Labour have told us, for as long as I can remember, that everything was Thatchers fault and that we need Labour to make sure that it can't happen again. Meanwhile Labour implement policies almost as bad (and sometimes worse) and the situation slowly gets worse, whilst all the time they whisper over our shoulders "it's all Thatchers fault, we'll sort things out". Tell a lie often enough and people with believe it. Scotland has a serious confidence problem I believe. It's possible that it may actually be a source of some of the anti-English feeling that we keep hearing about (admittedly, usually from English based, but frequently Scottish, commentators) and the referendum campaign showed it up very clearly.

On one side the SNP had their vision. Whether you believed it or not is up to the individual. The other side (effectively Labour) had a an unrelenting story of doom and gloom. Your industry will leave, your banks will leave, we'll put up border posts, you'll be thrown out of the EU and NATO, we won't let you use a fully tradeable currency that we let others use, your oil will run out, you won't be able to sell whisky abroad due to exchange rates, the Russians will invade if you get rid of nuclear weapons, we'll then bomb your airports, we'll annexe Faslane as UK territory, your food prices will all increase, you won't be able to watch Doctor Who on telly.* Better Together spent 2 years avoiding telling us exactly how we were better together only how we'd be worse apart.

Ultimately it worked, we chose dependence over independence. A future where others make our decisions for us. A positive thinking, ambitious population that was confident in their own abilities would not have voted the way we did.

There is something odd though about the days since the vote. Although the Yes side lost, the No side definitely didn't win.

* That's just a small sample. For a fuller list (all linked to the corresponding newspaper articles see the following).
    http://wingsoverscotland.com/when-yo...it/#more-59141
    http://wingsoverscotland.com/reasons-to-be-fearful/
    Last edited by PetBazaar; 17th November 2014 at 01:06 PM.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can't believe that Scottish entrepreneurship is completely dead. If you think of all the great Scots there have been, and what they have done, pioneered and settled, it's difficult to believe that that spirit is dead.

I agree that as dependants of the client state under Labour, any incentive has been blunted, but that is true of other parts of the country as well. It has long been policy of the Left to make as many dependent on the state as possible, whether through employment or benefits.

That gives the State control, and you only have to look at the former communist states to see how much innovation it provokes.

But I believe that the human spirit will triumph in the end, whether it comes in the form of inventiveness, entrepreneurship, or discovery.

You say that Scotland rejected independence, and therefore chose dependence, but I don't believe that in this context one is the opposite of the other. For instance, England is not independant from Scotland, but it is not dependent on Scotland for its livelihood.

Admittedly, the Labour Party is dependent on Scottish voters for its political clout in Westminster, but it is about to discover the cost of complacency and neglect.

After such an awakening that the Scots have had with the referendum, I believe that the old spirit of aspiration and self-sufficiency will rise again, and the Scots will gain an independence which will be more valuable to them than anything granted by Westminster.

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Squern Quote"After such an awakening that the Scots have had with the referendum, I believe that the old spirit of aspiration and self-sufficiency will rise again, and the Scots will gain an independence which will be more valuable to them than anything granted by Westminster."(End Quote)

I think Scotland will have Independence within about 5-8 years.
    Cheers Tony

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

I can't believe that Scottish entrepreneurship is completely dead. If you think of all the great Scots there have been, and what they have done, pioneered and settled, it's difficult to believe that that spirit is dead...

...You say that Scotland rejected independence, and therefore chose dependence, but I don't believe that in this context one is the opposite of the other. For instance, England is not independant from Scotland, but it is not dependent on Scotland for its livelihood.

After such an awakening that the Scots have had with the referendum, I believe that the old spirit of aspiration and self-sufficiency will rise again, and the Scots will gain an independence which will be more valuable to them than anything granted by Westminster.
    You are absolutely correct that in the past Scotland was a bit of a powerhouse that punched well above our weight, but that has been in gradual decline since after WW1. The spirit isn't necessarily dead, but it's definitely been blunted rather than sharpened over the years. Our lack of entrepreneurs is widely recognised and there are glimmers of hope, but we're a long way behind on that front. One welcome change is that the number of people employed in the public sector is now around 20%, down from around 33% four years ago. What still hasn't improved though is the sheer number of our brightest and best who have to head to London in order to get the funding that they need to prosper.

In the context of Scottish politics we can either be independent of Westminster or dependent on Westminster. It's a simple fact of political life that all of the Scottish Parliament's budget comes from Westminster. If they chose to reduce it, there's nothing we can do about it. We have no other way to raise our budget, to me that's the very definition of dependency. The same, as you pointed out, is not the case in the opposite direction. England, given its vastly bigger population and economy effectively raises and spends it's own money.

The referendum and the days since have been interesting. The no side are desperate for it all to just go away, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to. Too many people who got involved before the vote have stayed involved. There a spirit of something now, the genie is out of the bottle and I'm not sure that Scotlands politics, or the UKs are ever going to be the same again.

The compete meltdown of Scottish Labour is incredible to see. They've resorted to doing what they do best... Stabbing each other in the back at every opportunity and starting a whole new set of power struggles.

The master strategist and tactician is on his way.

Next stop Deputy PM.

Hopefully next 8th May a large contingent of SNP MPs descending upon Westminster will make the National Parliament meaningful again and will force the pace on addressing the issues that the electorate want solved.

First thing to do is to eliminate the need for food banks. It is a disgrace that such a wealthy country has people so destitute that they have to go to charities because the State would let them starve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30364575

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    The master strategist and tactician is on his way.

Next stop Deputy PM.

Hopefully next 8th May a large contingent of SNP MPs descending upon Westminster will make the National Parliament meaningful again and will force the pace on addressing the issues that the electorate want solved.

First thing to do is to eliminate the need for food banks. It is a disgrace that such a wealthy country has people so destitute that they have to go to charities because the State would let them starve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30364575

Isn't it odd.

We've just had a referendum, where we could have chosen to go away and leave English MP's to vote on English only matters.

But you encouraged us to stay, and now it looks as if there's a reasonable chance that the SNP may end up in a coalition or, at the very least, a confidence and supply agreement with Labour. So we may possibly end up with the SNP passing laws on English only matters.

Now, suddenly folk don't want us to be all part of the UK together after all.

It only seems like 3 months ago when you all loved us and didn't want us to leave.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some of us wanted Scotland to go. Sadly we had no say.

Thread Information