eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stamp Catalogue

Default Re: Stamp Catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I'm amazed that people are happy to sell stamps for a fifth of catalogue value.

My Dad said that when he collected stamps you sold them at about half catalogue price.
    Before the days of the internet there was little competition for the local stamp shops which meant they were able to charge higher prices, but in return had a lot smaller audience from which to make their profit.
    Now you can buy stamps from anywhere in the world easily, the competition has brought prices down. When I want to buy a particular stamp to add to my collection, an internet search will probably reveal several places where I can buy it so the ones charging 50% of catalogue price will not get my business.
    Simple economics!

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1958)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Collectors will not buy heavily cancelled or damaged stamps no matter what price they are offered at. These type of stamps, especially if they are common and readily available are best removed from circulation and put in the bin. ( I am talking about modern stamps here and not ones that are 100 years old)

For the less common stamp which is fine used I don't see a problem with the seller trying to sell at 50% of catalogue value.
    As a buyer you are either prepared to pay that price and fill a gap in your collection, or you let the gap remain in the hope you can find the missing stamp cheaper elsewhere.
    In my experience you are better paying the higher price, as you probably won't see the same stamp again.

I'm new to this and setting the price that I want to charge is something I'm still not sure on. I consult the Scott's catalogue, do some internet research and make a guess.

Another factor that comes into play is currency exchange rates.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lots of great comments - many thanks all.

Yes, condition is key - as in all paper antiques - I guess catalogues, whatever flavour, can only indicate scarcity and not true market values... ?

View gonzo45's Feedback (+7467)
    All-About gonzo45
    View gonzo45's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you collect Australian Stamps:

The "Comprehensive Colour Catalogue of Australian Stamps" is considered by many to be a Must Have.

Name:  Acc3.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  226.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    View rjasper's Feedback (+1)
    All-About rjasper
    View rjasper's Listings
    Forum Posts

Her in the Netherlands we us the NVPH catalogue.
    NVPH stands for Nederlandse vereniging van postzegelhandelaren (Dutch Association of stamp dealers).

By the way, I use colnect (www.colnect.com) to 'translate' various catalogue numbers.
    It would be a very nice addition to eBid's functionality to have 'automatic subsitution of catalogue numbers, based on preferences in My eBid.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjasper View Post
    ....By the way, I use colnect (www.colnect.com) to 'translate' various catalogue numbers.
    It would be a very nice addition to eBid's functionality to have 'automatic subsitution of catalogue numbers, based on preferences in My eBid.
    I am not trying to be negative but

I thought that copyright problems prevented the using of unauthorised software from converting one catalogue numbering system, for example Stanley Gibbons to, for example the corresponding Scott Catalogue numbers.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjasper View Post
    Her in the Netherlands we us the NVPH catalogue.
    NVPH stands for Nederlandse vereniging van postzegelhandelaren (Dutch Association of stamp dealers).

By the way, I use colnect (www.colnect.com) to 'translate' various catalogue numbers.
    Also trying not to be negative but I have had a quick look at a few countries I am interested in. In some cases the site only gives one catalogue number. The number of cataloguenumbers given for any one stamp varies from 1 to 5 and can differ for different values of the same stamp set. To find a particular stamp you have to click on the year of issue but unfortunately these are not listed in any order. So IMHO the site is of only limited value

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I'm amazed that people are happy to sell stamps for a fifth of catalogue value.

My Dad said that when he collected stamps you sold them at about half catalogue price.
    I am joining this debate a bit late. An interesting statement from Julie which shows how stamp prices have developed over the years - possibly down to there being so many stamps being issued these days and to the number of sellers around on eBid and the other sites which affects prices.

A thought springs to my mind. Do eBid members believe that, faced with a choice of two same-quality copies of a stamp on sale by different sellers, buyers would ignore the stamp priced at, say, 10% of catalogue value and go for the stamp that is priced at, say, 30% to 40% of catalogue value? In other words do you think buyers have a perception that low prices generally mean inferior quality?

Ray

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondwatkins View Post
    I am joining this debate a bit late. An interesting statement from Julie which shows how stamp prices have developed over the years - possibly down to there being so many stamps being issued these days and to the number of sellers around on eBid and the other sites which affects prices.

A thought springs to my mind. Do eBid members believe that, faced with a choice of two same-quality copies of a stamp on sale by different sellers, buyers would ignore the stamp priced at, say, 10% of catalogue value and go for the stamp that is priced at, say, 30% to 40% of catalogue value? In other words do you think buyers have a perception that low prices generally mean inferior quality?

Ray
    I hope that they would look at the picture or scan of the stamp and make a rational decision. But who knows why buyers buy what they do?

Thread Information