Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying this stamp from Greece - Hermes

Default Identifying this stamp from Greece - Hermes

I'm confused about this issue of stamp. Identification is way beyond a beginner like me.

Here is the first one that I'm looking at ... front and back. I have another green one scanned with '5' on the reverse.

1861 - 1906 Issues

Name:  Greece Hermes #1a.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  410.6 KB

Name:  Greece Hermes #1 (1)a.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  271.7 KB

Is anyone able or willing to help with this one? I've been looking through my Scott's catalogue and trying to understand. Yes, I'm confused. But I'm finding it all very interesting.

:-)

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14465)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Identifying this stamp from Greece - Hermes

I think its Scott# 53 -5l green on cream paper, hence the 53 on the reverse?

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

A bit more info for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hermes_head

If I am unsure about a stamp (often!) I do a Google image search.
    Try it for 'Hermes stamp'

Hope this helps
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

How much does condition matter? E.g. that torn corner?

I'm an ignoramus about stamp collecting, I'm curious because I'm thinking of listing some from my childhood collection, but some of mine aren't by any stretch 'mint'. Does that make it pointless listing them?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thank you, JD Stamps and Poscar.

Yes, it may well be the 1880 Scott 53 on cream paper. Looking at the various catalogue values, it wouldn't surprise me (as that's the one that has the lowest CV.) :-)

There are several issues in the period, similar but with subtle variations. So, it's quite interesting. Some of them have an interesting CV too.

Google searches are very helpful. I use the web a lot as I research.

I also wonder about the torn corner and how it would impact a realistic resale value. It would seem to me that the impact would depend on how rare a stamp is.

Thanks again and I'll continue my reading.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    I also wonder about the torn corner and how it would impact a realistic resale value. It would seem to me that the impact would depend on how rare a stamp is.
    And perhaps the age. I have quite a lot of Victorian stamps without perforations, roughly cut, and it looks as if your Greek stamp also lacks them. I can imagine that many people in those days chopping a stamp out of a sheet with a pair of scissors (or worse!) would pay little attention to getting it "just so".

Had they invented OCD back then?

Good luck!

PS: I don't know why, for I'm not a stamp buyer, but I just took a look at your stamps. At last, an ebid seller who is selling things for tiny prices! I get so fed up with the new sellers with 0 feedback who come along here and try auctions for 50 or 100 quid or more and then whine when they don't have sales.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 18th January 2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: curiosity!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Hi Johnwash1, I am trying to list a variety of items at a variety of prices, but it all takes time to set up the listings. Pricing is a challenge as the shipping is a bear (for most sellers of course). And a person does need to make a profit at the end of it all. Thanks for having a look. I appreciate it. :-)

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

If I came across that stamp, I would pop it into my packets of bargain mixtures because although it has a catalogued value of £16.00, it is in very poor condition, but it could be a space filler for someone's collection.
    However, a specialized collector of Greece might notice that the stamp is a rarity and would value it greatly. That's the fun of stamps!

Usually if there is a number in pencil on the back of the stamp it would refer to a catalogue number - but sometimes the person that put the catalogue number on the stamp would be mistaken - you have to check.

Early stamps came in sheets that had no perforations, so that the post office staff had to cut the stamps with scissors. It was only several years later that perforations came into general use.

Some stamps issued in the 20th century were produced both perforated and imperforated to get more money from stamps collectors

Quote Originally Posted by gbsbks2010 View Post
    If I came across that stamp, I would pop it into my packets of bargain mixtures because although it has a catalogued value of £16.00, it is in very poor condition, but it could be a space filler for someone's collection.
    However, a specialized collector of Greece might notice that the stamp is a rarity and would value it greatly. That's the fun of stamps!
    I agree. Even though that corner is torn away, someone might consider it a treasure because of the age of it etc.

This is fun. I agree. I'm enjoying this new pastime.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Hi Johnwash1, I am trying to list a variety of items at a variety of prices, but it all takes time to set up the listings. Pricing is a challenge as the shipping is a bear (for most sellers of course). And a person does need to make a profit at the end of it all. Thanks for having a look. I appreciate it. :-)
    Yes, I did ignore the shipping prices to UK, bearing in mind you're in Canada. No doubt it works out better for collectors more local to you, and I guess many trades would use combined postage.

Still, at least stamps are nice and light, and will even be affordable with airmail. I've just listed a piece of furniture, and I'm certainly not taking that down to the Post Office! But you say a person does need to make a profit, and there I disagree with you. The furniture I'm selling came to me for free, so I'm happy to see it reused as long as I don't make a loss. And the stamps from my childhood collection may have cost me pocket money back then, but I've long since written off that... I'd give them away now if it weren't for the thought that I might make a bit of cash from them which is always welcome.

Thread Information