Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Non Value indicators

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11878)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Non Value indicators

I have aquired some GB mint stamps for postage use and there are some with the 'Non Value indicators' like 'E' and 'Postcard' - but I'm not sure what value they have... anyone oblige with values, please? - I guess they can still be used?

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14465)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Non Value indicators

'E' is for European Post, covers a small letter up to 20g-current value £0.88p
    Not sure on the Postcard rate, but all NVI's are valid for postage at current rates, so a 1st class issued in 1992 for 20p now suffices for 60p postage, whereas a 20p stamp is worth.......20p!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31482)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use such stamps to send things to buyers on Ebid.

Everyone seems to like receiving old stamps.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDStamps View Post
    'E' is for European Post, covers a small letter up to 20g-current value £0.88p
    Not sure on the Postcard rate, but all NVI's are valid for postage at current rates, so a 1st class issued in 1992 for 20p now suffices for 60p postage, whereas a 20p stamp is worth.......20p!
    Which is odd, as RM tried to charge me for insufficient postage for a Xmas card that had an old style 2nd Class stamp on it. As the charge was over a quid I told them they could post it where the sun doesn't shine.

From what you say, any stamp marked 2nd Class should be valid for the current 2nd Class postage rate.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    .....From what you say, any stamp marked 2nd Class should be valid for the current 2nd Class postage rate.
    Yes, and any decimal stamp with a half penny value for example 7 1/2p is valid just discount the 1/2p.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Lurker
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Which is odd, as RM tried to charge me for insufficient postage for a Xmas card that had an old style 2nd Class stamp on it. As the charge was over a quid I told them they could post it where the sun doesn't shine.

From what you say, any stamp marked 2nd Class should be valid for the current 2nd Class postage rate.
    I have had this happen a few times; unfortunately there are those who like to re-use unfranked postage stamps-RM's Revenue Protection office are being very harsh on suspected re-use, as this practice is costing RM millions in lost revenue.
    I tend to use older GB commemorative stamps on my outbound post-my customers like them- but I always ask counter staff at the Post Office to hand stamp them, most are happy to oblige when I explain they are for collectors.

I have had this happen a few times; unfortunately there are those who like to re-use unfranked postage stamps-RM's Revenue Protection office are being very harsh on suspected re-use, as this practice is costing RM millions in lost revenue.
    I tend to use older GB commemorative stamps on my outbound post-my customers like them- but I always ask counter staff at the Post Office to hand stamp them, most are happy to oblige when I explain they are for collectors.
    If RM have a problem with unfranked stamps that is costing them millions I have a very easy solution - frank them when they are first used.

Forum Lurker
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    If RM have a problem with unfranked stamps that is costing them millions I have a very easy solution - frank them when they are first used.
    Couldn't agree more-even worse is when you get a package and the stamps are ruined with a pen cancel. Several e-mails to complain to RM but I only get bulk standard responses. Why can't they issue the delivery posties with handstamps? Would stop their revenue problems and keep collectors happy too.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11878)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Couldn't agree more-even worse is when you get a package and the stamps are ruined with a pen cancel. Several e-mails to complain to RM but I only get bulk standard responses. Why can't they issue the delivery posties with handstamps? Would stop their revenue problems and keep collectors happy too.
    Whilst I agree that Royal Mail have only themselves to blame, it is worth remembering that re-using unfranked stamps as new is an offence.

Buying and selling unfranked stamps isn’t in itself illegal if they are for collections. I am aware that Royal Mail will prosecute e*** sellers they discover selling unfranked stamps for re-use...

Thread Information