eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Societies and Associations-worthwhile membership?

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14465)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Societies and Associations-worthwhile membership?

Hi Are any ebidders members of stamp Societies or Associations? Do they provide any real benefits to dealers or collectors?

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11878)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Societies and Associations-worthwhile membership?

I am not a member of a stamp society or association, but I am a member of the PTA: Postcard Traders Association: it does have it's own website too.

Being a member implies a guarantee or badge of fair trading which is known to collectors and dealers alike: to promote, encourage and advance the collecting of picture postcards: to benefit members and the general public with whom they deal...

eBid could become a member too and gain a lot of kudos as a result - another well-known auction site has done just that!

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    eBid could become a member too and gain a lot of kudos as a result - another well-known auction site has done just that!
    No they can't...... the PTA by it's very name is for traders.... ebid are not traders, they are merely a marketplace to sell on.... They are not postcard dealers or dealers of any sort for that matter (except buddy point listings, which even then are not sold for cash etc)

As for the other site, their membership of the PTA has been brought up in the committee meetings on a few occasions and should a member ever bring a dispute against them and the site state that they are only a selling venue and not abide to the PTA's ruling they will be booted out of the PTA post haste. (to date no one has bough a case against them.)

All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    No they can't...... the PTA by it's very name is for traders.... ebid are not traders, they are merely a marketplace to sell on.... They are not postcard dealers or dealers of any sort for that matter (except buddy point listings, which even then are not sold for cash etc)

As for the other site, their membership of the PTA has been brought up in the committee meetings on a few occasions and should a member ever bring a dispute against them and the site state that they are only a selling venue and not abide to the PTA's ruling they will be booted out of the PTA post haste. (to date no one has bough a case against them.)
    Quote from their website:

"The Postcard Traders Association represents the UK's foremost dealers (and increasingly from overseas!), auctioneers, fair organisers, publishers and accessory distributors... "

The other site has supported the PTA in recent years, and despite drawing critiscism from some of the membership, it has been a fruitful arrangement for all concerned. I have not heard of any complaints laid by members.

You will also observe on the website that there is a seperate listing of PTA members who are 'xyz' sellers... good publicity for them, eh? I would like eBid to go the same way for obvious reasons.

I know I am only making a case for Postcards, a small part of eBid's makeup, but it is what I call 'more strings to the bow' and that cannot be a bad thing now...

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31482)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I reckon that life is too short to belong to every association I could.

I am probably happier just going my own sweet way without knowing all the things an association could give me to worry about.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote from their website:

"The Postcard Traders Association represents the UK's foremost dealers (and increasingly from overseas!), auctioneers, fair organisers, publishers and accessory distributors... "
    and which part do the other site fit into.... they are not dealers, nor are they fair organisers, nor are they publishers & accessory distributors, and they state that they are only a venue and are not involved directly with any sales therefore they are not Auctioneers in the true sense of the meaning of the word

I believe ebid state the same thing in their T&C's

I have not heard of any complaints laid by members.
    Talk to Mike Huddy (the PTA Secretary)

Yes Pam & I are also PTA members for well over 25 years

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Back at the ranch,...........................what about stamp associations?
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

and which part do the other site fit into.... they are not dealers, nor are they fair organisers, nor are they publishers & accessory distributors, and they state that they are only a venue and are not involved directly with any sales therefore they are not Auctioneers in the true sense of the meaning of the word

I believe ebid state the same thing in their T&C's
    eBid is an auction site and as such encourages the sale of Postcards and would be classed as an 'Auctioneer' in my opinion.

But you are correct to state that the T&Cs are the same: quote - "eBid is only a Venue. Our site acts as the venue for sellers to conduct sales and for bidders to buy, offer or bid on sellers' listings. We are not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers. As a result, we have no control over the quality, safety or legality of the items advertised, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of sellers to sell items or the ability of buyers to buy items. We cannot and do not control whether or not sellers will complete the sale of items they offer or buyers will complete the purchases of items they have bid on. In addition, note that there are risks of dealing with foreign nationals, underage persons or people acting under false pretence.- so from that point of view they would not be resposible

From that perspective that may not be ideal for the PTA membership as they give no guarantees to buyers themselves - shame, a lost opportunity for all...

Talk to Mike Huddy (the PTA Secretary)

Yes Pam & I are also PTA members for well over 25 years
    25 years! - congratulations!

Yes I will speak to Mike, and our Chairperson - they are both busy at the Notingham Postcard Fair today...

All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    I reckon that life is too short to belong to every association I could.

I am probably happier just going my own sweet way without knowing all the things an association could give me to worry about.
    Yep - doesn't suit everyone - and there is a limit to how your time is spread...

Thread Information