eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Societies and Associations-worthwhile membership?

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14465)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Societies and Associations-worthwhile membership?

Whilst I appreciate that Postcards are just as important as Stamps, I started this thread to find out stamp enthusiasts views' on Societies and Associations, hence the Stamp category........!!

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11878)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDStamps View Post
    Whilst I appreciate that Postcards are just as important as Stamps, I started this thread to find out stamp enthusiasts views' on Societies and Associations, hence the Stamp category........!!
    Apologies once again - there doesn't seem to be much take-up on your origanal query.

How do you stand on Stamp Societies / Association - are you a member of one?

Most Stamp Collectors I know belong to a Society, for example... they seem to be actively involved in their own collecting interest(s) and are always happy to share their collecting with other people, especially at their Society meetings... their depth of knowledge is amazing too!

Forum Lurker
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am looking to join a Trade Association, I already have several Trade links and references but some of the Associations cost a lot to join - Philatelic Traders' Assoc £125 per year (!). Have found a few others a bit cheaper, hence I am looking for recommendations before I part with my hard earned......
    Whilst I have been a member of several Societies over the years, these are more for the occasional seller/ collector, and those with plenty of time to make up displays. Regrettably, I no longer fall into these categories as I am now turning a part time business into a full (ish) time one, selling not only on here but hopefully at Stamp Fairs as well in the near future.
    Any advice/ recommendations would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    From that perspective that may not be ideal for the PTA membership as they give no guarantees to buyers themselves - shame, a lost opportunity for all...
    Unfortunately I rest my case your honour and it is the same for the other site..... I am not against either site, I am just against either of them being allowed to join ANY such association, as, by their own admission, they are only venues and therefore might not abide by the associations rules if it suits them not to.

25 years! - congratulations!

Yes I will speak to Mike, and our Chairperson - they are both busy at the Notingham Postcard Fair today...
    well Pam has...

Give Mike our regards when you see him, and tell him that Pam & Nigel will see them at Shepton in a few weeks

Now shall we hand the thread back to the OP lol

Any advice/ recommendations would be much appreciated.
    I can not recommend any Trade Association for stamp dealers however I have heard good things about the ADPS, so you might have a look at them

under the advice part of the question...

Although some Trade Association seem expencive it is always worth looking at what the Association covers you for. Some cover more than others hence their cost. (cheap is not always best )

P.S

I have just thought... if you are going to stand at stamp fairs, why not ask the other dealers that are there... They will know far more about stamp associations than 20sent06 and I do....

Of cause if you start selling postcards as well as stamps (Pam and I ended up doing that in reverse, due to having to buy mixed lots at auctions) you know where to come if you want any help.

Forum Lurker
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for that-ADPS is one on my list of potentials.
    That's a good idea to ask other dealers at the fairs too.
    Have sold a few lots of Postcards many moons ago, only problem for me is space to store them, but I am working on it......

All the best
    John

Have sold a few lots of Postcards many moons ago, only problem for me is space to store them, but I am working on it......
    You should worry lol we have a fair stock of 100,000 a shop stock of 75,000 online stock of 20,000 and more cards than I care to think about that still need sorting/listing.... and then there is the 500,000+ Ciggy cards...... Pam and I dont live in a house any more we live in a warehouse (well it feels like anyway)

The other "problem" is/was that Pam and I were both postcard dealers in our own right before we got together, so we both had our own stock

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

There will be a stamp club or a philatelic society in your area.

Joining the society/club is a great way to learn about stamps.There are guests who come and display their material and members evenings with members displaying their stamps. Even if you are not interested in the country or display that is shown, you are bound to pick up extra bits of information to help you with your own collection.

It also means that you can chat to people who have the same interest as you. The more knowledgeable collectors will always help out new collectors and freely give advice. M

eetings occur once or twice a month so it is not too arduous to spend a couple of hours attending these meetings.

The society could also have a "packet". Members make up booklets of stamps they wish to sell and this goes into a box that contains 10-16 of these booklets. This packet then goes round all the members to look through and they buy what they want to add to their collections.

Stamp clubs have broadened their outlook and welcome postcard collectors.

If you are a genuine collector I would advise you to join a local stamp society if you can - you will be pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it is.

Thread Information