Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knitting Query

Default Knitting Query

I am getting more than my fair share of moaning buyers at the moment. Two recent ones have complained that the recommended yarn is no longer available. This is an obvious 'problem' with vintage patterns - the latest recommending Wendy Miami yarn - but alternatives can usually be found.

But, does anyone know if a site exists where alternatives to discontinued yarn are given?

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Knitting Query

My mother ran a wool shop, in the middle of the last century.

Alternatives then were simple something with the same stitch length.

As in http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/ya...nchart_old.php
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=Knit_Wits_Vintage;1589423][SIZE=3]I am getting more than my fair share of moaning buyers at the moment. Two recent ones have complained that the recommended yarn is no longer available. This is an obvious 'problem' with vintage patterns - the latest recommending Wendy Miami yarn - but alternatives can usually be found.

But, does anyone know if a site exists where alternatives to discontinued yarn are given?

Oddly enough I had this conversation with my mother last week, mainly re jaeger and milan tricot patterns which i seem to have problems selling.
    She did say alternatives can be found for vintage patterns, but i guess people look at the original shades etc and want them.

Shotts, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View mergaruk's Feedback (+1135)
    All-About mergaruk
    View mergaruk's Listings
    Forum Posts

hi,

i hope this helps, when i am working with vintage patterns or patters for discontinued yarns, i check needle size to give me idea of what i can substitute with.

that way helps keep tension in check, i know you are supposed to do tension square but i skip and hope for the best

i have been knitting/crochet for over 20 years and always look at needle sizes on ball bands when picking up wool/yarns so i have idea what patterns to use them on x

PS or visa versa check needles on old patterns to give idea what wool to use
    Last edited by mergaruk; 14th February 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mergaruk View Post
    hi,

i hope this helps, when i am working with vintage patterns or patters for discontinued yarns, i check needle size to give me idea of what i can substitute with.

that way helps keep tension in check, i know you are supposed to do tension square but i skip and hope for the best

i have been knitting/crochet for over 20 years and always look at needle sizes on ball bands when picking up wool/yarns so i have idea what patterns to use them on x

PS or visa versa check needles on old patterns to give idea what wool to use
    Very sound advice.

I think it's only logical that you can't expect to find the same yarn if you buy a knitting pattern that is more than a couple of years old.

Likewise, I've been knitting for 20+ years. Sometimes I buy yarn, because I like the colour(s) and then go and find a pattern I can use it with or I buy a pattern (modern or vintage), check the tension/needle size and buy yarn accordingly to that.

Tbh, I don't think I've ever used the yarn recommended in a pattern.

If you're new to knitting, buy from a shop/dealer who can offer both. If you're an experienced knitter, you should be able to match yarn/pattern.

Having said that, I have one pattern, which I have now used 3 times - first time round with yarn from the same company and after that with different brands and on all 3 occasions, the quantities stated have been too low. I've had to buy/order an additional ball of yarn.

Forum Lurker
    Paderborn-Elsen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    View TanteGrete's Feedback (+6)
    All-About TanteGrete
    View TanteGrete's Listings
    Forum Posts

Let's not forget the TENSION SWATCH. I think even vintage patterns say how many rows and stitches per x amount of inches.

Good morning, Knitters

Yep, all of which I would find pretty obvious: 4mm needles - DK (usually). But, just lately, my buyers have needed spoonfeeding. Two in the past fortnight have told me that the wool is obsolete and asked me what they can use. Yesterday, another buyer said my description should have included the word 'chart' because there was a chart for the cable pattern!

These are, of course, on t'other side. My eBid buyers give me no trouble.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

This one is a bit US centric but still has some useful information

http://www.vintageknits.com/yarncharts.html
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    This one is a bit US centric but still has some useful information

http://www.vintageknits.com/yarncharts.html
    I spotted that one, thanks, Madelaine. I have trawled Google and now decided that I will add a disclaimer to my vintage pattern listings.

Pathetic, I know, but becoming more necessary by the week
    Last edited by Knit_Wits_Vintage; 15th February 2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clumsy fingers

Thread Information