Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st October Tax Discs are gone

Default 1st October Tax Discs are gone

From 1st October 2014 you no longer need to display a tax disc on the windscreen of your car, if you have a Tax Disc that expires in October, November or December or beyond (for those who buy 12months worth) then you can either remove it after 1st October or Continue to Display it until it expires, After this date your vehicle will only be taxed once you've paid for it online, the DVLA will keep a record of your vehicle being taxed on their systems.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: 1st October Tax Discs are gone

Thanks for the info Craig.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see the point of this. Under the current system the police can spot an untaxed vehicle just walking past it. They could do a line of cars in just a few seconds.

Under the new scheme they would have to check each vehicle against the database individually.

Or are NPR cameras now going to police vehicle taxation?

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I don't see the point of this. Under the current system the police can spot an untaxed vehicle just walking past it. They could do a line of cars in just a few seconds.

Under the new scheme they would have to check each vehicle against the database individually.

Or are NPR cameras now going to police vehicle taxation?
    Don't the police currently have some sort of electronic equipment in their cars that detects an untaxed vehicle when they pass it? Maybe the 'beat' police now have some sort of 'mobile' to detect the same thing.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see the point of this......
    Under the current system it is plain to see that there is a real problem of untaxed and uninsured vehicles on our roads. I think that I read some where that the figure was over 2,000,000.

This will now be hidden from the public gaze.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Don't the police currently have some sort of electronic equipment in their cars that detects an untaxed vehicle when they pass it? Maybe the 'beat' police now have some sort of 'mobile' to detect the same thing.
    Some (I believe not all) have on-board NPR systems that can check road tax, insurance, and MOT details of any vehicle they scan. That's why I said are they relying on that system now. Wouldn't work in a car park or in a line of vehicles at the side of the road though.

I don't think there are any 'beat bobbies' left. I haven't seen one in years. The police are now reactive and no longer proactive. So they zoom everywhere in vehicles after the event.

Dump road tax for cars and vans and put it on the fuel. Without fuel the vehicle goes nowhere, which makes tax avoidance impossible.
    Last edited by astral276; 26th February 2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Stupid predictive spell checker

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    After this date your vehicle will only be taxed once you've paid for it online
    Now that could be interesting...... As I get the highest rate Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and I also have a Disabled Parking Permit (commonly called the Blue Badge) I do not have to pay for my car tax as I am entitled to a free one (one of the few "perks" of being disabled)

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was hoping things would go the other way, and that you would have to display an insurance disc as well.

Is there a big brother issue if the only people who can check up on compliance are people with high tech equipment, and not the general public?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Dump road tax for cars and vans and put it on the fuel. Without fuel the vehicle goes nowhere, which makes tax avoidance impossible.
    read the above post Mel..... I don't avoid the car tax, I just don't have to pay for it..... Therefore I would be penalised under that system, unless the Government increased the Higher rate DLA to compensate the extra duty paid for fuel, and how would you put I price on that..... As I live in the "countryside" the shops are not "just down the road" therefore I need my car to go shopping, whereas someone who lives in a town do have shops "just down the road".... Would I have to show my Blue Badge to get a discount on my petrol.... which in turn would lead to extra "paper work" at the pumps

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

I would say add it to the DLA, as your being excused it is a benefit against your disability. All should pay the same road tax if they use the roads. No concessions for smaller engines and the like.

Of course, road tax is just another revenue stream. It has nothing to do with the roads. I read somewhere that if the revenue collected as road tax in one year was actually spent on the road network we would have one of the best in Europe.

Thread Information