eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever broken your ankle and have tips on easing pain/swelling

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Anybody ever broken your ankle and have tips on easing pain/swelling

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshiregirl View Post
    Thanks for the tips

It was re x-rayed 3 weeks after plate came out all was healed apart the holes where the screws were.

Physio I had when I first came out of pot and some of the exercises I still do daily to help.

My job I think is a major factor spending about 5 of the 8 hrs either standing or walking around when I do get chance to sit I have a little stool I pop my foot on. Having said that I would expect this kind of work to help in some way because I'm using the ankle but guess I've got to get a balance .Its great when I get home trainers off and recliner up.

Trip to my doctors I think , I was told it would give me some grief for a while , but it seems to have got to a point and that's it not getting any better and to be honest I'm trying to avoid going as long as I can because I cant really have anymore time off.

Thank you all.
    Wouldnt wear trainers.Poor Support.
    I had trouble with my ankles when slightly sprained.Threw £60 Trainers Away and glad to do it.NHS Doctor advised this
    Last edited by tonyreddevil; 16th March 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Default Re: Anybody ever broken your ankle and have tips on easing pain/swelling

Quote Originally Posted by tonyreddevil View Post
    Wouldnt wear trainers.Poor Support.
    I had trouble with my ankles when slightly sprained.Threw £60 Trainers Away and glad to do it.NHS Doctoor advised this
    I was advised by my physio to get something with laces, due to been able to loosen laces when the ankle started swelling , hes seen them and because they are sketchers which have good support anyway he suggested I worn them for work. I did after the plates came out just wear regular trainers due to still been tender and the sketchers one pressed on stitches wound and as soon as I could I ditched these because I did notice the bad support they give.

Forum Saint
    All-About tonyreddevil
    Forum Posts

When you are at home would it not be best for loose fitting slippers.

I go bare foot as much as poss at home with my feet up

Forum Saint
    All-About tonyreddevil
    Forum Posts

only trying to help.definitely think phsio is best all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tonyreddevil View Post
    only trying to help.definitely think phsio is best all the time
    I know thank you , I do appreciate any tips you all have , it good to get fresh ideas to try especially from those that have had a similar experience, because you will have tried and tested out several things that work best for you beforehand.

View telcotam's Feedback (+198)
    All-About telcotam
    View telcotam's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use a TENS machine which send small electric impulse to help with joint pain but found it also helps where I broke my foot in karate and it is not uncommon for arthritis to set in later on in life with this type of injury and the TENS machine will also help a little with this

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi

Christmas 2012 I broken my ankle in 3 places needed plate and screws to repair.
    I returned back to work in may 2013 , which working as a health care in a hospital been on my feet most of the shift it was painful making me limp when it was getting really bad and always swelling ,I was having to take painkillers all the time and couldn't wait to get home shoes/socks off and feet up.

Christmas last year I had plate and screws removed to see if this would help with swelling and pain etc , but it as only made a slight difference where top of plate was, it still swells and painful and I still limp, which I know could be long term due to where and how I broke it.

Was just wondering if anybody has had this kind of injury and has any good tips or suggestion on anything other than painkillers and feeling drugged out most of the time especially at work that could help relive pain and reduce swelling or just help with day to day in general.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful as I've run out of ideas.
    Don't go to them 3 places again!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the tips

It was re x-rayed 3 weeks after plate came out all was healed apart the holes where the screws were.

Physio I had when I first came out of pot and some of the exercises I still do daily to help.

My job I think is a major factor spending about 5 of the 8 hrs either standing or walking around when I do get chance to sit I have a little stool I pop my foot on. Having said that I would expect this kind of work to help in some way because I'm using the ankle but guess I've got to get a balance .Its great when I get home trainers off and recliner up.

Trip to my doctors I think , I was told it would give me some grief for a while , but it seems to have got to a point and that's it not getting any better and to be honest I'm trying to avoid going as long as I can because I cant really have anymore time off.

Thank you all.
    Wondering as I read this if job retraining would be available. The reason I say this is because I injured my back as a licensed practical nurse back in 1997, (due to lifting issues and scoliosis), and had to retrain. I went to library school, thanks to state aid monies (Vocational Rehabilitation Services), got my MLIS and worked as a medical librarian, much easier on the back to sit at a desk than being on the feet all day every day as I was when nursing.

I wonder, if your injury affects your job performance, (not a criticism, just a thought), if you wouldn't be able to get financial assistance to retrain in a field where you wouldn't have to be on your feet all day? I'm not sure what the situation is where you are, but you might want to look into this, I'm sure there must be local agencies that deal with this sort of thing. IMHO it's much better to do something that doesn't cause pain and possibly permanent injury if this can be at all avoided.

It's too bad Moonwitch hasn't been on this thread, she might have some ideas about contact resources/council stuff, (I think that's what they call it, forgive this Yank if I got it wrong as usual). You might want to PM Moon and see if she knows of any folks you might consult re: job retraining resources.

Good luck and best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 17th March 2014 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    Don't go to them 3 places again!
    I agree haven't been back there :-)

Thread Information