eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameras .. Need Help Deciding What is WHAT!!

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Cameras .. Need Help Deciding What is WHAT!!

Okay, most of you know me all too well....just an 'ol senior citizen who doesn't know squat about most things, one of which is what kind of camera to buy.

Here's the scoop: I'm starting a venture raising 4 chickens to keep for the eggs (and the company!). Anyway, I'd like to be able to take pics of them, the coop, things like that, and be able to put them into my computer so I'll have the pics to share online. I'm not in the market for the "bells and whistles" kind of camera, just one that I can easily use AND easily get them into my puter.

When I look online there is a TON of these gadgets....I'm totally lost!! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Default Re: Cameras .. Need Help Deciding What is WHAT!!

The one I have is a mini Digi video camera with SD Card slot, it takes photo's as well as videos so when I use it to take photo's they are saved on to my SD Card which I put into the SD card slot on the computer and photo's are uploaded automatically for me into a file of my choice
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Okay, most of you know me all too well....just an 'ol senior citizen who doesn't know squat about most things, one of which is what kind of camera to buy.

Here's the scoop: I'm starting a venture raising 4 chickens to keep for the eggs (and the company!). Anyway, I'd like to be able to take pics of them, the coop, things like that, and be able to put them into my computer so I'll have the pics to share online. I'm not in the market for the "bells and whistles" kind of camera, just one that I can easily use AND easily get them into my puter.

When I look online there is a TON of these gadgets....I'm totally lost!! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Well, from one 'ol senior citizen to another, I can thoroughly recommend my very basic Canon Power Shot A480 - might have been upgraded by now - which was around £35. Very simple to use and has every function I need. Obviously depends upon your needs, but don't let a low price put you off a camera.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

My Aiptek (bought at Walgreen's for $12 a few years back) is very easy to use, no software needed, it's plug and play and according to the manual it can be used for video, too, though I've never tried it. Unfortunately, it doesn't take the best pix in the world, but that might be partly (or mostly) my fault, I'm a lousy photographer.

At any rate, if a Luddite like me can do it, anyone can! Enjoy the chickens, they sound like fun.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just realized something new that I've learned looking around and gathering info. I don't want a "battery-only" camera. I want one that I can charge up...batteries are WAY expensive.

Mine takes re-chargeable batteries.

Mary, I bought
    Nikon COOLPIX S3500 Compact Digital Camera - Black (20.1MP, 7x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

It is a super little camera and recharges itself, and is easy to use, even for a numpty like me! Check it out .... I'm very pleased with mine.
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    Mine takes re-chargeable batteries.
    From what you have said I guess you would want a compact camera. As for rechargeable batteries, look for a camera that takes AA batteries. These should (I have not come across one that is nto) be able to take recharable batteries.

Having said that the batteries are expensive, it depends on how much you will be using your camera. One downside to the rechargeables is that they lose power VERY quickiy, and I wouldn't even consider using standard batteries (even duracell, the best on the market run out extremely fast).

When I started out I began using rechargeable batteries but you have to carry an infinite number (or have acess to a charger) to stayed "online". I then graduated to lithium batteries (yes they are more expensive, however if you take them out after use it is surprising how long they last). Once the camera is set up it should retain the settings, so all you have to do is replace the batteries.

I can't remember what the name of my current camera is (I will be back later to let you know). But it is VERY easy to use.

The one downside to cameras now is that they do not come with instruction books any longer which means you get either a disc or have to go on-line for them.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Agree with all that, Lofty. I first used Duracell batteries and after taking around 30 photos I was having to replace. Not very cost-effective. I now have two cameras - both compact varieties - and recharge one when the other is getting low.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    From what you have said I guess you would want a compact camera. As for rechargeable batteries, look for a camera that takes AA batteries. These should (I have not come across one that is nto) be able to take recharable batteries.

Having said that the batteries are expensive, it depends on how much you will be using your camera. One downside to the rechargeables is that they lose power VERY quickiy, and I wouldn't even consider using standard batteries (even duracell, the best on the market run out extremely fast).

When I started out I began using rechargeable batteries but you have to carry an infinite number (or have acess to a charger) to stayed "online". I then graduated to lithium batteries (yes they are more expensive, however if you take them out after use it is surprising how long they last). Once the camera is set up it should retain the settings, so all you have to do is replace the batteries.

I can't remember what the name of my current camera is (I will be back later to let you know). But it is VERY easy to use.

The one downside to cameras now is that they do not come with instruction books any longer which means you get either a disc or have to go on-line for them.
    My Current camera is a Fujifilm AV200, and is by far the easiest and most intuitive I have had. I have had it 2 or 3 years so it may not be available now, but it is more than likely that the cameras after it have folllowed suite with the ease of use.

I don't know if you have designated photographic shops in America now, we don't have many in England. But if you can find a place where you can get your hands on (literally) a range of cameras, my advice would be to take a look before you buy. The first compact camera I bought was at the time when everything was getting as small as possible (phones and cameras). I went along to my regular photographic suppliers who were very helpfull, all of the staff were 'togs themselves and made it their business to know the stock inside out. They also let you take a few shots in the store to see how the camera operated.

i went in there thinking I had found the ideal camera, but as soon as I saw it I realised that it was far too "compact" for me with very small buttons. However all was not lost as the sales person could suggest some other options.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Thread Information