View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Warning to Online Merchants Using Windows XP

(courtesy EcommerceBytes Newsletter)

Sat Apr 5 2014 08:38:21
    Warning to Online Merchants Using Windows XP Operating System

Do you know which operating system is running on your computers and laptops? For a threat that sounds as potentially dangerous as Y2K, there's relatively little awareness of the "Windows XP problem." On Tuesday, April 8, 2014, Microsoft will stop supporting the Windows XP Operating System, leaving many computers vulnerable to virus and malware. And it's sure to effect a lot of online sellers, both large and small, not to mention online shoppers.

Articles about the topic project 10% of computers will still be using Windows XP after the April 8 deadline. And that includes ATM machines and computers in healthcare settings - and the federal government.

Microsoft has created pages on its website to help consumers and businesses learn more. What does the end of support for XP mean? "Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information." The company has no shame in using the pages to push people into buying new computers running its Windows 8 operating system - though some experts advise moving to Windows 7, which is more popular than the newer version.

In an article on Friday, BusinessWeek said XP is the second-most-used OS in the world, behind Windows 7, and its customers account for more than 18 percent of Internet users, according to StatCounter.

MakeUseOf was on top of the problem last year. In this August article, it offers practical tips for those with XP systems. The best advice appears to be taking the computers offline altogether and use USB flash drives to transfer data if needed. You can use the programs (like Word and Excel), but don't use it for browsing the Internet or checking email. (Of course, that still leaves you needing a computer you can use to go online.) MakeUseOf offers advice on how to minimize the risk these computers present to their owners.

Here's how to learn if this problem affects you: when you turn on your computer, watch the screen - it will tell you what kind of operating system your computer is running. You can also go to Start - All Programs - Accessories folder - Systems Tool folder - when you click on System Information, the first line reads "OS Name" - that will tell you if you are running Microsoft Windows XP. (If you use Microsoft Windows 7 or 8, this problem won't apply to you.)

Once you've checked your own business and home computers, be sure to check with family members, friends and neighbors.

One can only hope Microsoft will extend the deadline til the end of the year to give people more time to become aware of the problem and deal with it. But don't count on it!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Warning to Online Merchants Using Windows XP

Interesting comment below article - if you use Firefox, you should be able to keep on using XP for at least 2 more years.

There has been a lot of publicity about this for a long time and a lot of people are aware that support is being withdrawn for XP. This is not new news.

The problem with articles such as these that can be found on many websites is that many are written by people who have insufficient technical expertise to give any sensible indication of the risks arising from the ending of support so that readers can make informed decisions about what to do.

A lot of businesses including myself will continue to use XP. It has been very popular with businesses and a lot are still running XP.

The key area of support that will disappear is that Microsoft will no longer develop fixes for security weaknesses in XP. This is an important issue that people need to consider as part of their risk assessment about whether to change to a different operating system.

I think it unlikely that Microsoft will extend support for XP beyond this week. Microsoft moved on from XP some time ago and has elsewhere to focus its resources and from which to generate its financial returns. It has given people more than enough warning about the ending of support and they have had plenty of time to decide what to do.

View shabbird's Feedback (+89)
    All-About shabbird
    View shabbird's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had to upgrade to windows 7 this week. as just couldn't take the risk. I love windows XP
    but no fixes means your computer is open to many risks out there.

I don't really understand all this but I thought your antivirus and firewall protected your PC and would the hackers not be more likely to hack at 7 and 8 than XP. I am just asking and not stating anything as like i said i don't understand it all.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I don't really understand all this but I thought your antivirus and firewall protected your PC and would the hackers not be more likely to hack at 7 and 8 than XP. I am just asking and not stating anything as like i said i don't understand it all.
    Yes, your antivirus and firewal will still protect your PC...it's that Windows XP will no longer receive ANY updates, etc., to the program, so you leave yourself open to problems with buyers "communicating" with you and XP...that's my understanding anyway. I'm sure some techie-guru will come along and give you a better explanation.

I hope so as I don't get that either..............I must be totally thick lately, I think my brain cell is hibernating at the moment.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    it's that Windows XP will no longer receive ANY updates, etc., to the program
    That is such good news.
    I wish they would cease updates for Windows 8. I regularly lose work because the computer receives an update and reboots after updating.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have been using the free MS Essenitals for my virus protection and as of Mon they have uninstalled it. Does anyone have another free virus protection to recommend?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use Avast which works well. Just remember to stop it updating when you switch your PC on

Thread Information