eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overpricing items

Default Re: Overpricing items

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    Have to admit that I didn't look that deeply into the listings, Deano. I just saw the very high prices on the paperbacks and looked no further, which I suspect most buyers would do.
    Sorry, I was referring to the seller the OP highlighted.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    No, of course you can't blame eBid for the pricing - I think we all realise that. The point is, buyers will not return to a site where there is such overpricing. So, it is not entirely the seller's problem - it becomes a problem for all sellers.
    I do agree:
    When I sold on the Dark Side, I often browsed the books and music, and bought a couple of items.
    Here, I find that most are over-priced. I don't buy on TOS now, so I usually don't buy at all.

The problem is that because what I have looked for is ludicrously over-priced, I tend not to look at all. That's a shame, because some sellers price sensibly, but they're lost among the chancers.

I suspect other "buyers" feel the same.

Totally agree, I have been trying to encourage my sister and brother in law to buy from here, they buy a lot from tos, but every time they mention something I rush to look on here and it is always a lot more expensive, sometimes double the price. As a buyer, if I looked twice and saw that I am sure I would never look again.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Would I be correct to say that these sellers that overprice probably don't read the forums?

It's annoying to see overpriced items, it's also annoying that we, as sellers, are going to potentially lose customers because of their lack of business sense.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

They probably don't read the forums, but you would think that lack of sales might tell them something.

I suppose they blame the site.

Don't know what could be done about it, though.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Maybe it's about time to 'Ask seller a question' when an overpriced item is found.

Scenario...

Q. Why is your item more expensive here than elsewhere?
    A. Buy it from over there instead.

If the above happens then a seller can get suspended from eBid according to the Q & A policies

"Your question will be emailed to the seller, they will be asked to come back here to respond. You will be emailed when they respond. Please do not reply to emails directly with another email. Violation of our policies, including offering or promoting your services here or placing a bid here or a verbal offer to purchase/sell outside of eBid will result in the removal of your message , all your auctions (if you are the seller) and suspension of your account."
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

I can fully understand different prices, you can see this on any site or bricks and mortar shop when you shop around. Competition is, after all, healthy.

What has disappointed me more is the fact it's the same seller, with the exact same item, selling with a ridiculous price on this site which offers cheaper fees!

The cynic in me makes me question the sellers motives. Is it a case of using one site to make the item listed on the other site look like a real bargain? Is the seller chancing their arm that not all buyers shop around if they find something that they want straight away?

i guess only the seller has the answer. But for me, as has already been mentioned, I feel it potentially puts buyers off from coming to eBid, and indirectly that affects us all.

All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

We all understand prices that vary from shop to shop.
    But not by a difference of 500-600%. How could you justify selling something for £10 that could be bought for £2 elsewhere?

I've seen similar things on some of the book sites - a book that most sellers are offering at about £3 - 4.00 is £25.00 from a particular seller. And they all sit in the same list, so it's easy to see. Not a hope of making a sale

There's obviously something going on here that has nothing to do with sales.

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

There's obviously something going on here that has nothing to do with sales.
    Opportunist greed.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Kalis
    View Kalis's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've noticed that some items seemed overpriced as well. I wonder if it has to do with the list until sold option.

I just registered here so I'm not entirely sure how everything works, but I could see potential abuse to flood the site with bad auctions just to deter buyers. There are the filters to screen out the auctions but it would be nice if there was at least some sort of nudge for an auction every so often, that way it gets updated if it isn't selling.

IMO, an item that doesn't sell for 4 or 5 months shouldn't remain listed without being updated.

Total newbie here, but I guess I can read about how to list stuff here now.
    Last edited by Kalis; 7th April 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Thread Information