Thread: First ink now paper!

Forum Lurker
    View abyorkie's Feedback (+1404)
    All-About abyorkie
    View abyorkie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default First ink now paper!

Hi Guys
    The thread last week was about printer ink compatability. This one is photographic paper!

Been printing a few photos on my new epson and started to have afew ink smears, false colours, coloured streaks. ?New printer playing up?

Cleaned the nozzles, etc still same problem. Thought I'll try changing the paper--- Bingo no problems!!!

was using a stores own photo paper, glossy etc etc to start with, so changed to a kodak paper and so far they have all come out ok.(touch wood)
    Not much difference in price of the paper, stores own being cheapest, they also sold the kodak paper fairly cheap. seems ther is a massive difference in quality tho. Not much to physically see but it obviously make a difference to the printer!!

Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers Alan
    Please have a look at my shops, you may find something you like
    http://abyorkies-stamps-cigarette-cards.ebid.net
    http://abyorkies-old-manuscripts-ancestry.ebid.net
    http://antique-prints.ebid.net
    http://collectables-and-everything-else.ebid.net
    http://archibald-thorburns-bird-prints.ebid.net
    Thank you

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: First ink now paper!

My current printer doesn't seem to make a very good job of printing photographs. Perhaps it is the paper that is at fault. I will try and report back!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, I found this too.
    I now only use a paper of a primary photographic brand (Fuji) or the printer's own brand if the price is right.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

I thought it was my Epson printer - streaks, poor colour etc. and when I touched it the whole thing sort of slid off the paper.

Mine was an own brand paper. Obviously doesn't pay to be tight

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    Much of the time it does!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    I thought it was my Epson printer - streaks, poor colour etc. and when I touched it the whole thing sort of slid off the paper.

I used to sell Printer paper of many brands and no brand, but have not done so for about 6 years. You may have 6 different colour print papers with one brand name; some gloss, some matt, some extra glossy, differing weights of paper, etc. It is perfectly possible for all six to be produced by different manufacturers in different countries. One big brand name did not produce any of its branded paper itself at all, but had all their papers "farmed out" in this way. Speaking with the rep, it became obvious that next month musical chairs might well have been played and all had changed again.

The only way to be certain of what you are buying is to do a little research first. For example, many UK sellers and a lot in the US will remember Ilford film, paper, etc. Now you WILL find inkjet paper branded Ilford, but that brand belongs to Ciba-Geigy. If you want Ilford inkjet paper you have to get Harman inkjet paper (Harman was the man who started Ilford years ago). You will get good results with either; the Harman is the more expensive as it is aimed at the pro market. The Ilford branded one is fine.

Print sliding off indicates that there is something very wrong indeed as there should be a chemical bonding involved. The only occasion on which I managed to achieve this was when, in a hurry, I printed on the wrong side of the paper. I am not being sarcastic - do check this first, as it can be done all too easily. If that is not the problem then the paper is not fit for purpose. This could be anything from a manufacturing fault to fraud. Also bear in mind that papers intended for "cartridge" type printers will not work with standard inkjets. Paper also has a shelf life.

Thank you for that, Cambrensis.

And......you may not be far wide of the mark re. the wrong side of the paper: I might well have been in too much of a hurry to check.

Okay........I confess...........I had it from Poundland

Thread Information