eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy St.George's Day and Happy 450th Birthday Shakespeare

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Happy St.George's Day and Happy 450th Birthday Shakespeare

So is this the day that everyone is proud to have some English lineage? (like what happens on St.Patrick's Day)

Will you all walk around with a dragon perched on top of your headgear or St.Georges flag face-painted on?

Naaaah!, we are English, we just keep things low key.

Anyway, enjoy the day and be proud to be English.

Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Default Re: Happy St.George's Day and Happy 450th Birthday Shakespeare

Sorry, Poscar! Despite the BBC and the Cameron (as quoted in the Daily Telegraph), St George's Day is next Monday, 28th April. This is true in the Anglican Communion, the Roman Catholic Communion and the Orthodox Communion ( as this year Easter lined up for Rome and the East.)

I did write a note on this here earlier in the year. I'm beginning to wonder whether confusion over the date has caused the problem of its sad demise.
    Last edited by cambrensis; 23rd April 2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you for your input, but for the last 63 years I have celebrated St.Georges day on 23th April.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View redkiteshoard's Feedback (+3018)
    All-About redkiteshoard
    View redkiteshoard's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would have taken Will to the pub but apparently he`s bard!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    So is this the day that everyone is proud to have some English lineage? (like what happens on St.Patrick's Day)
    I don't think so. The PC Brigade have done a pretty good job of convincing us that our history and traditions are something to be ashamed of, and that celebrating or displaying regalia connected to it is a racist activity. It is not celebrated in the way that other countries do their national days.

Not that I would be out parading, but those who would wish to should be free to do so without looking over their shoulders for the thought police.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redkiteshoard View Post
    I would have taken Will to the pub but apparently he`s bard!
    I'll get your coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    Thank you for your input, but for the last 63 years I have celebrated St.Georges day on 23th April.
    Well, good for you!

I've lived in England for only 53 years and used to watch for the signs of St George's Day as I passed local Anglican Churches.

However, I don't drive around a lot now (long since retired) so have not checked in recent years. As I said, such confusion explains its disappearance and that is a pity. St George was brought in by the Norman French; he is still patron Saint of Normandy as well as Catalunya, where every other bar is named for him, as well as a few other places.

The fact that so few here seem to know about the possibility of April 23rd being incorrect indicates how few actually care about their Patron Saint's day. The date was correct for 2012 and 2013, for example, but not for 2011. I used to think it was one of those wonderfully quirky things that seem to get adopted here, but apparently this is not so.

At home, as a schoolboy , I always knew when our Saint's Day was, as it was celebrated with flags and special events, as it still is. What reinforced the date in memory was the fact that we were always given a half holiday from school!

Anyway, whatever the day, have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I ... The PC Brigade have done a pretty good job of convincing us that our history and traditions are something to be ashamed of, and that celebrating or displaying regalia connected to it is a racist activity. It is not celebrated in the way that other countries do their national days.
    I made a similar point here a couple of months back and said what I have always said : "It's time you took your flag back from the BNP and other usurpers!" They are ignorant anyway, as they use the Flag of St George and claim the White Dragon of the Saxons. Strange - as it is the White Wyvern, not a dragon, and the Patron Saint of the Saxons appears to have been Saint Andrew.

I used to force my former boss to put a Red Cross in the window every year (he used to mutter about "flipping foreigners") making exactly that point. If you stop using it then others will mangle it.

Go on! Be proud! I shall put the flag in my window (and here) on Saint George's Day. As I've said before, I am naturalised by now!

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

23rd April is the date of St. George's death, and for most, the date when it is celebrated.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Happy St. George's Day to all my British friends! Definitely enjoy the day, (PC brigade be darned), I know I had a good St. Pat's and I'm only half Irish.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information