Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: International postage costs and size/weight of letter/parcel and contents

Forum Lurker
    View baandbr2010's Feedback (+261)
    All-About baandbr2010
    View baandbr2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default International postage costs and size/weight of letter/parcel and contents

Hello. Just opened a shop and am now trying to navigate my way thru' the postage costs and letter/parcel sizes. I sell dressmaking and knitting patterns which are fairly lightweight, but am shocked to discover that my local post office are telling me that an A4 envelope size is classed as a parcel and the cost to the US would be £3.80 airmail (£1 cheaper surface) and the smaller envelope, (think A3 size?)is the same price. Only the very small 'letter' sized envelope gets sent at a cheaper rate and it has to contain only a letter and nothing else - not even photographs! Is there an easy to use postage chart out there detailing postage costs and sizes as I do not find the Royal Mail download that easy to understand Babs..

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: International postage costs and size/weight of letter/parcel and contents

Why not use this Royal Mail tool.

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31482)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: International postage costs and size/weight of letter/parcel and contents

And there is a walllist if you are infuriated by the time it takes to use the price-finder

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...s_Mar2014a.pdf
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

My advice would be if possible to take it to another post office; you would be surprised how many interpretations of the rules there are since the RM muddied the water with PIP. Some people understand it and others do not, it sounds to me as if the one you deal with do not.

I had similar problems when I sent something to the Isle of Mann, a clown in the first PO told me that it was in Europe (it is but only geographically as is England and Scotland). Postally it is part of the UK (despite having their own government and tax system etc). The second office took it with no problems. I also had the parcel/package disagreement for a paperback.

Does anyone you know work in an office with a mail room? If I have have queries I normally take the item to work and ask advice of the mail room staff; who normally know their way around the system.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

When I was residing in the UK, I wanted to send a letter to a relative living in Austria - the PO person kept telling me there is no such place and that I meant Australia - Well now, some of you know me and my temperament (which is very patient and understanding - no remarks please ) but once my back is up I'm ready for a fight, and fight (argued) I did. Lots of people waiting behind me etc and I took it to the top until someone finally realized that there really is a country called Austria. I mean, come on!! Really??? are some PO staff THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ignorant??? I even got applause for it LOL! sheeeeesh

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31482)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    When I was residing in the UK, I wanted to send a letter to a relative living in Austria - the PO person kept telling me there is no such place and that I meant Australia - Well now, some of you know me and my temperament (which is very patient and understanding - no remarks please ) but once my back is up I'm ready for a fight, and fight (argued) I did. Lots of people waiting behind me etc and I took it to the top until someone finally realized that there really is a country called Austria. I mean, come on!! Really??? are some PO staff THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ignorant??? I even got applause for it LOL! sheeeeesh
    The staff at my local post office are very friendly and helpful.

The problem is that English is their second language, if not third, and unless it is in the Indian sub-continent, their geography is non-existent.

This is actually good, because if Dr Bill comes in and says Austria is in Africa, they believe me...
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Lurker
    View baandbr2010's Feedback (+261)
    All-About baandbr2010
    View baandbr2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you all for replies, however I remain puzzled by the envelopes being classified as parcels. And yes, my local post office is owned by an arrogant and rude man who infects all his staff with the same traits. Twice I have reported him to the Post Office to no avail. It has got to the stage that when I see him behind the counter I often drive 12 miles to a country post office (run by an Asian lady) to post my mail, she is efficient and nothing is too much trouble for her, she even gives me separate receipts for proof of posting, which my local refuses to do. At my local PO the owner refuses to deal with my parcels waiving me to the next counter saying 'I don't do parcels'! As there is a one queue system there it means I have to wait until the staff member has dealt with the customer already there who was behind me in the queue anyway. I could go on and on about this man but do not wish to bore everyone. And having a broken leg at the moment I am unable to drive so am stuck with the local. Regards, Babs.

Thread Information