Thread: Five Myths About Yard Sales

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Five Myths About Yard Sales

Five Myths About Yard Sales
    By: Julia Wilkinson

The season is here, y'all! (I can say that because I live in Virginia, even if we're just a stone's throw from DC and no one has Southern accents). I'm talkin' 'bout yard sale season. Just get-outta-your house, round up your cash, throw on your sun hat and roll season. Now that we're gotten that clear, I'd like to present what I've found over my (cough) considerable years of yard saling to be myths, or at least grey areas, about yard and estate sales.

Five Myths About Yard Sales

1. You Have to Get Up Early to Get the Good Stuff.
    OK, yeah, early birds will find some of the fattest worms, but that does not mean there aren't gems to be had if you show show up a bit later in the morning. There are several reasons for this, and these are only the ones I can think of:

- Some of the stuff requires digging for, in a box, under layers of stuff, under a table. A lot of people just don't think to look there.
    - Sellers may start the day w/ crazy high prices (especially good...the ones who tape a paper with a "comparable" eBay price to a thing - hey people, this is a yard sale!), but later in the day they've been beaten down into slashing prices to rock bottom.
    - Some shoppers simply may not recognize something as valuable as you do, because it's your specialty area, or you've been doing this a while, or you're just so darn smart.

My fave story? I found a first edition *in French* of "The Little Prince" / aka "Le Petit Prince," just loitering in the back of an unassuming box in a slightly chipped dust jacket, around 11 a.m. (There were a lot of boxes of books). People maybe assumed it was just a worthless children's book? (This is the edition author St. Exupery had with him when his plane tragically crashed, so it is especially prized by collectors).

2. Rich Neighborhoods Have Better Stuff than Not-So-Rich 'Hoods.
    Maybe. Maybe not. I have hit up a wealthy 'hood near us that is packed with gorgeous homes. The stuff I've found? Meh. Some very nice household items. Awesome, old collectibles? Not so much. One theory I have is these folks cling to their antique stuff more. Or look up its value more. Or it could just be random. In fact, my rule of thumb for all yard (and estate) sales is "you never know." So get out and look.

3. If It's Not Listed on Craigslist or in the Paper, It's Not There.
    Not true! One of my favorite types of sales is one where you drive past a sign you did *not* see on Craigslist, or EstateSales.net, or what have you. The teeming masses are less likely to have been there!

This is similar to hitting up a "Community" Yard Sale, where the sales are listed, but more as just one big sign. The bigger-looking sales get crowds, but the sad, small little sale of a few boxes and lamps (and maybe a few ugly dishes for good measure) may contain a treasure. What if there's a first-edition Joy Of Cooking in one of those boxes? Again, you never know.

4. Sellers Only Take Cash
    OK, so, sellers really do prefer cash. And don't think I don't start out the morning with a wad of cash. But if you run out, or didn't plan ahead, if you can show them on your checkbook that you're local, or you seem normal, and enough other stuff to convince them you're not gonna stiff them with a bounced check, they are likely to take a check. At least, I've talked some of them into taking mine. (Hey, I can't look "normal" every day).

5. When the "Ick Factor" Keeps You Away: a Nasty Smell or Other Means You Best Not Risk Shopping the Sale
    This is more about estate sales than yard sales, but I still recall one of my favorite estate sales. There was a pungent odor of....well, I won't gross you out, but let's just say a certain episode of "Hoarders" comes to mind.

Still, there was so much cool stuff inside. Many "Gone with the Wind" lamps. Hobnail city. Mugs, collectibles....and a real, antique pair of Native American beaded moccasins.

Now, I'm not telling you to risk your life over mold or asbestos poisoning. I'm just saying, I'm not going to let a certain organic smell keep me from shopping. (But I won't be buying linens).

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Five Myths About Yard Sales

Cool, Mary, lots of good points, thanks for sharing this.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Five Myths About Yard Sales

yes thanks for sharing it was good

Thread Information