Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's for supper? Any ideas?

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What's for supper? Any ideas?

This recipe is more attuned to those of us who have no restrictions, self-imposed or otherwise, upon our dietary status and it probably exceeds your personal parameters, but it might give you some ideas while giving others an opportunity for a quick and tasty meal.

I just finished house-sitting and caring for an elderly gentleman with not one tooth in his mouth. I grew to be somewhat inventive toward the end of my 10-day stay concerning what was placed on the table. The final meal came into existence thusly:

I started with a box of Stove Top chicken (other flavors can be used) stuffing mix as the foundation. I only name the brand so people (well, Americans anyway) will have an idea about the quantity of product contained in the box. I sliced several good-sized mushrooms (about 1 cup) and chopped up about two cups of broccoli, making sure the stalks were sliced thinly - crunchy broccoli and no teeth are not the best of friends! I also diced about 1 cup of left-over rotisseried chicken.

After bringing the water and margarine to a boil (I usually substitute chicken broth for the water, but had none on hand), I did not immediately turn off the heat. I first added the above ingredients, followed by a sprinkling of granulated garlic to taste, and then added the contents of the box, stirring until all was mixed well. To this I then added a 15-ounce can of mildly-spicy nacho cheese sauce, turned off the heat, and stirred until the mixture was uniform in texture. I then placed the lid on the pot and let the mixture set for fifteen minutes (package directions state five, but I gave it an extra ten minutes to allow the ingredients to get to know each other more intimately).

Served along with potato salad, it was more than enough for the two of us. This would make a very nice side dish where poultry is served as the main course. It is quick, easy, and delicious. If anyone tries this, let me know what you think. I've been told by more than one person that my taste was all in my mouth. In this instance I am in agreement, but I would be interested to know if others think this taste is good or bad!

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

One of my favourites. A really filling, rich and satisfying dish that is eazy-peazy to make. I use puy lentils .

Halloumi, kale and lentils recipe.

A few splashes of olive oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely diced (optional)
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    200g green speckled or puy lentils
    1 bay leaf
    100ml red wine (if you don’t have wine, use stock or water)
    300ml stock or water
    A good splash of balsamic vinegar
    1-2 tbsp mustard
    A bundle of kale
    150g halloumi
    A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
    The juice and zest of 1 lemon

Add a splash of olive oil to a lidded pot. Cook the onion, carrot and garlic until softened. Fold the lentils and bay leaf through. Season well. Allow to sizzle for a moment, then pour in the wine. Let it bubble up for a bit. Pour in the stock or water. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 40 minutes, or until tender. Taste. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar for a touch of sweetness, and a little mustard to give it a kick. Adjust the seasoning.

Finely chop the kale so it is like chopped parsley: carve the green from the heavy white stem, stack the leaves, roll them into a bundle, slice thinly, then chop the slivers a bit further. Be gentle with it. Fold the kale through the lentils. Remove from the heat and set aside. Thinly slice the halloumi, then cut it into little cubes. Fry in a little olive oil until golden. Scatter over the lentils. Finish with parsley and lemon juice and zest.

Enjoy!

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Upon reading Her Majesty's request, I just jumped right in there with what I had to say. It was only after I finished having MY say that I took time to read the other responses, whereupon I almost fell over in a fit of laughter. What you people must think of me!!! Please bear in mind that (1) my intentions were well-meant, (2) my nature tends, at times, to lean slightly towards the impulsive side and (3), in spite of (1), I would not have written my post response had I first read the preceding responses and had not once again fallen victim to (2)!!!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

One of my favorite Pasta dishes. I substitute white wine for the cream and prefer the dish cold.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/twarda/...Asparagus.html

Thread Information