Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: HTML and CSS

Forum Newbie
    All-About soundchaser
    View soundchaser's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default HTML and CSS

Hi, I'm new here and hope to start selling shortly, but can anyone confirm that a page created in HTML linked to external CCS, is okay to use in your listings? Like on eBay? I haven't seen any 'fancy' looking pages on ebid yet, so I'm a bit concerned that any page I've created, might not be suitable for use here - any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: HTML and CSS

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and hope to start selling shortly, but can anyone confirm that a page created in HTML linked to external CCS, is okay to use in your listings? Like on eBay? I haven't seen any 'fancy' looking pages on ebid yet, so I'm a bit concerned that any page I've created, might not be suitable for use here - any advice would be welcome! Thanks!
    If you stick a test auction up giving an example it would be easier to give an accurate answer.

Ah,just noticed your buyer status.Use the pm to send the code to me & I'll stick it up for you.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, you can link to an external CSS file. If the link is in the header block of the HTML file then you should never view/edit the listing in either of the eBid WYSIWYG editors as both strip the header block (among other things); always use the Plain HTML editor.

Do not mess with anything outside the description area. Restrict your artistic efforts to that area alone and don't try to alter eBid's pages.

Forum Newbie
    All-About soundchaser
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replies, obviously the same deal here as on eBay and I'll stick with the plain HTML editor, as advised. I'll probably list one item first and then check it, to see how it looks... oh and I've just noticed I put CCS in the first sentence, instead of CSS! Doh!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think my listings link externally to CSS and JavaScript (not at my main computer so can't check).

Watch out for conflicts with eBid styles naming - e.g. redefining the style description. What I tend to do is prefix all style names I use on eBid with a marker ast_ (e.g. ast_description) to avoid any conflicts.

Forum Newbie
    All-About soundchaser
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I think my listings link externally to CSS and JavaScript (not at my main computer so can't check).

Watch out for conflicts with eBid styles naming - e.g. redefining the style description. What I tend to do is prefix all style names I use on eBid with a marker ast_ (e.g. ast_description) to avoid any conflicts.
    Good point, though something I'd already discovered and I've added the word 'Super' in front of most of mine, but I like your idea better and may change mine - thanks for this.

One particularly interesting thing that I discovered quite by accident and hadn't seen mentioned anywhere on the net, is that unlike with normal html editing, there can be no 'unnatural' spaces after the coding, i.e. coding should always start at the very left-hand side of the page, otherwise their system (in this case, eBay), adds the 'no-break-space' piece of code and it effected the appearance of the listings! I assume that eBid's system will do the same, but it won't matter if it doesn't, because I've written the pages out in this way now. Just thought it was funny that no one else had mentioned it, at least not that I've come across.

Appreciate the replies - thanks for these!

Thread Information