eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here know anything about Wordpress?

Default Does anyone here know anything about Wordpress?

I'm having a problem that occurs ONLY on eBid, and ONLY when I'm editing my listings. I hit the "save changes" button and instead of the eBid screen saying it was changed, I get a new page with "http://en.wordpress.com/" in the address box, and a screen saying that the URL is not valid. It keeps happening until I log out and log in and start over. VERY annoying.

Wordpress is not installed on my computers. This happens on both my desk top and my laptop. It doesn't happen on any other websites, but I don't edit and update live listings on any other sites.

I found out it's a legitimate application " . . . a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL, which runs on a web hosting service. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system, used by more than 22.0% of the top 10 million websites as of August 2013." My guess is that eBid uses it, especially since they created their blog.

Before I open a ticket, I thought I'd find out if some software experts here have any suggestions. I can probably figure out how to block the program using my firewall or a Firefox option, but I don't know if that's the right solution.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Does anyone here know anything about Wordpress?

Sorry, never heard of Wordpress, will bump up for our gurus.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

This just happened again, so I'm bumping this thread up hoping someone knows someting about this software.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

How about making a video of exactly what happens & when? It would help support to find a solution.I haven't tried it yet but Gazza suggests http://screencast-o-matic.com/ .They used to use Jing but switched for some reason.

Entering "http://en.wordpress.com/" into the address bar leads you to WP with an invitation to create a website.

Typing "ebid" into the allotted space for your new page takes you to a form to be completed...this informs you that "ebid" is already taken, so your surmise is correct.

Now I have to guess (and you are probably going to need input from above) but my first defence would be to clear all caches (i.e.
    all temporary files including the internet ones) It's surprising what problems this old trick can clear.

If clearing does not do it then it's submit ticket time. Good luck.

One other quick thought and question - Do you have Norton installed? That can do very strange things...

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Entering "http://en.wordpress.com/" into the address bar leads you to WP with an invitation to create a website.

Typing "ebid" into the allotted space for your new page takes you to a form to be completed...this informs you that "ebid" is already taken, so your surmise is correct.

Now I have to guess (and you are probably going to need input from above) but my first defence would be to clear all caches (i.e.
    all temporary files including the internet ones) It's surprising what problems this old trick can clear.

If clearing does not do it then it's submit ticket time. Good luck.
    I already cleared my caches, didn't help. Then I deleted a bunch of cookies. Unfortunately, didn't guess right on some of the names (I wish sites would put their names on their cookies) and I've had to re-enter passwords a few times. That didn't help either.

I won't ever use Norton again. Or McAfee. Avast and Microsoft's security are working just fine.

It hasn't happened since yesterday, so maybe just a hiccup. If it happens again, I'll do screen prints. I don't think a video will work, when it puts up the Wordpress screen it won't let me back up, and of course I can't predict when it's going to happen.

Well at least we know what is not causing the link to occur. You know to clear caches and cookies (I agree so much about naming). I too rely on Avast and the Microsoft Firewall.

One other thing struck me as I drifted off to dreamland last night. There have been a few posts asking about "plain html" recently. If you are using an html generator, that might cause a problem with Wordpress. I have just started to play with WP as a result of your posting to see if a generator may interfere in that way, but this will take a few days to get to grips with.

The last major release of WP was in April and there was a maintenance update on May 8th to iron out over 30 bugs in that; I'd have thought that ebid would be updating regularly as obviously they are programmers and will be totally aware of the pitfalls, so I doubt if this is the issue. I haven't found any reference to anything similar in WP's forums anyway.

If it recurs do contact ebid and also come back here to update please. There are programs which may be run in the background to analyse what is being called, but I'd use one of those as a last resort.

Best wishes.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just recently started using WP for a new site/blog. Have not seen the issue in OP. Noticed mention of Avast; how do they compare to AVG?

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Just recently started using WP for a new site/blog. Have not seen the issue in OP. Noticed mention of Avast; how do they compare to AVG?
    Quite honestly I cannot say that Avast is "better" than AVG. I have used both and at the moment Avast is flavour of the month everywhere. AVG will be working fine for you and you know what to expect from the interface...so stick with it unless it lets you down. I am sure it won't.

Thread Information