Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Possible NGC Slab Tampered with-what to do?

Forum Newbie
    View mycoguy's Feedback (+8)
    All-About mycoguy
    View mycoguy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Possible NGC Slab Tampered with-what to do?

I bought an expensive 845 silver eagle..got in mail today...does NOT look like a perfect MS70, as label suggests..NGC cert verification is fine...BUT...the slab appears to have roughness, cuts, and NOT looking anything like my other NGC slabs I own, so, I am leaning towards a swap, and, the slab was opened up, and glued back together...a lower grade coin was put in....I am taking the coin to some dealers, and, my coin club meeting for opinions...if I have to return this..what do I do to ensure a full refund..I know to mail with insurance and signature confirmation, and tracking...what else? The price was 300 dollars less than what they sell for on ebay...hmmmmmm. And, the seller has an ebay account, and, sells the same coins there, with dual listings..so, must know true value..did they know something, and, just "lied" by ommission?
    Thanks...my other NGC slabs all have these little triangles on edges, and, no rough areas....the slab in question has NO triangles, and, a lot of cuts and roughness.
    Calvin in Petaluma.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Possible NGC Slab Tampered with-what to do?

First did you go to the NGC site and verify the coin. Second email NGC and see (if the coin certification number doen't show verification on their site) and it is registered through them. Third, when in all doubt, send it to NGC and have them re-certify it if it is their coin. It may cost you a couple bucks if you care for the grading, but it will put your mind at rest. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bogus coin. Good luck.

Also, NGC and PCGS use a sonic sealer which is nothing more than heat sealing and that may be why the second pic seems odd. But you may need to send it in if you're not sure.
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 8th July 2014 at 02:42 AM.

Forum Newbie
    View mycoguy's Feedback (+8)
    All-About mycoguy
    View mycoguy's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm just returning the coin..after further inspection, with my 10x loupe..and 30x loupe, there are numerous hairlines..cleaning scratches...the black debris is leftover cleaning crud that the cleaner could not remove, jammed into crevices...there is NO way this would have graded MS70 at all...the coin was swapped...

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mycoguy View Post
    I'm just returning the coin..after further inspection, with my 10x loupe..and 30x loupe, there are numerous hairlines..cleaning scratches...the black debris is leftover cleaning crud that the cleaner could not remove, jammed into crevices...there is NO way this would have graded MS70 at all...the coin was swapped...
    Not making any judgments whatsoever as to if the coin was swapped or not. The second photo looks peculiar. I would do as you are doing, and take the coin to a coin shop, or have it checked out by pros. Or simply return the coin, as you indicated. I would start off with communication to the seller before returning.

The reason I am making no judgments, is that it is also possible to switch after a purchase. Not saying you did, but it is possible. So I will leave the judgment to you, your seller, and the evaluating pros.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just pulled one of my NGC's and counted 3 triangles on both long sides, and 1 triangle on both short sides (top & bottom portion). Also no rough or jagged appearances on the slab.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you are not happy with it for whatever reason, send it back.

Thread Information