eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long?

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How Long?

What is the acceptable length of time to wait for a buyer to respond to a request for address confirmation?

Have had my second buyer in a row for a non-charity listing have different Paypal and eBid shipping details.

First was unconfirmed on Paypal, but shipping details were different to eBid details. I had requested address confirmation; buyer would not respond; so I refunded their payment in full. Contacted eBid for refund of fvf, and eBid graciously refunded the fees. However, they recommended allowing more time for buyer to respond to question.

Second buyer with conflicting Paypal shipping details, has confirmed Paypal details. Major issue for me is the name in the verified Paypal shipping details is totally different from the eBid name. The address is also different (zip codes), but emails are the same. Taking into account eBid's prior advise, to give buyer more time to respond; I sent original request for name and address confirmation on sale date. Also sent request nudge next day. Buyer has not responded yet.

My shipping policy states that I ship within 3 days of a cleared payment. Second buyer paid via BIN. So what would be an appropriate amount of time to wait for buyer to answer my request for name/address confirmation. I have heard many state they just ship to the Paypal verified address. In this case I am dealing with different name and shipping details. So how long is long enough for a response, in light of my stated shipping policy?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How Long?

Different address and NAME than payment source? I would definitely wait for a response. Keep records of everything.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Different address and NAME than payment source? I would definitely wait for a response. Keep records of everything.
    Ditto Al. Some people do have multiple Paypal accounts, but even if this is the case IMHO the buyer should respond in a timely fashion to your request for the correct mailing address. I do think asking the buyer is the best policy; I always ask the buyer if there's a discrepancy in addresses which address they'd like their items shipped to, learned this one the hard way.

Does your payment policy include a timeline for expected payment (in addition to shipping within x number of days of payment)? Mine states:

Payment is expected within 7 days of purchase, unless other arrangements have
    been made with seller; if no payment/contact is made within 7 days, items will
    be relisted without further notice and non-paying buyer will be blackballed and
    unable to buy from seller again.

I'm not saying this timeline is the best or would even work for other sellers, (we all have our own timelines that work for us), but putting it in black and white (or red LOL) on your About Me page or in individual listings might be helpful to buyers, if you haven't already done so, so they know upfront what the score is.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yeah Sues, different address okay but different NAME? Red flags for me.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yeah Sues, different address okay but different NAME? Red flags for me.
    Good point. I have had a few buyers use spouse or relatives' Paypal accounts though, so maybe that's what it is. Best to wait for the buyer to write back and explain.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Ditto Al. Some people do have multiple Paypal accounts, but even if this is the case IMHO the buyer should respond in a timely fashion to your request for the correct mailing address. I do think asking the buyer is the best policy; I always ask the buyer if there's a discrepancy in addresses which address they'd like their items shipped to, learned this one the hard way.

Does your payment policy include a timeline for expected payment (in addition to shipping within x number of days of payment)? Mine states:

Payment is expected within 7 days of purchase, unless other arrangements have
    been made with seller; if no payment/contact is made within 7 days, items will
    be relisted without further notice and non-paying buyer will be blackballed and
    unable to buy from seller again.

I'm not saying this timeline is the best or would even work for other sellers, (we all have our own timelines that work for us), but putting it in black and white (or red LOL) on your About Me page or in individual listings might be helpful to buyers, if you haven't already done so, so they know upfront what the score is.

Timing of payment was not applicable to either of these buyers, as both paid via BIN. I generally allow 7 to 10 days for payment, but again that is not the issue. The issue is the differences in shipping details. This happens all the time; what is unusual is that it has happened back to back, and both buyers are not answering.

This brings to mind the issue of buyers claiming non-receipt of goods, which is a major issue on the Bay. I just hope that it does not become a major issue here. The best thing going on eBid is the difference in support. They are responsive to buyers and sellers equally whenever issues arise.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Good point. I have had a few buyers use spouse or relatives' Paypal accounts though, so maybe that's what it is. Best to wait for the buyer to write back and explain.

Agree with you both, and wait I shall. But how long is long enough to wait?

If the eBid system and the PayPal system addresses are different, it is good customer care to clarify the correct shipping address before despatch. It is bad seller behaviour to assume that the PayPal address is the correct one to use. Often people change address and forget to update all address records so the PayPal address could be incorrect even if PayPal advise address confirmed.

There could be a range of reasons why customers do not respond quickly. Even in this day and age, not everybody has their own computer but go to internet cafes instead now and then. So they might not have daily internet access. Or if they do have their own computer, something might have gone wrong with it and they might not be able to get it repaired quickly. Or they might have had to go away for several days unexpectedly because of their work. Or they might be ill. Or they might have some domestic emergency that they are having to deal with. I would not ship until you are satisfied with address details etc. I would keep sending messages for 3 weeks before cancelling the transaction.

To close within a few days of the transaction date would show that a seller is not really customer orientated and would be too soon.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Always check payment system (Paypal or other) for shipping details and compare to eBid details. Always clarify differences in shipping detail, name, etc. To assume Paypal details are always correct seems somewhat presumptuous, or concerned with "CMB".

Agree that there can be many reasons why a buyer does not respond in a timely manner. The 3 week time frame had not even crossed my mind; as I consider it a long time to hold a buyers purchase item or funds without dispatch. I have held purchases for that length of time, after communicating with a buyer and making arrangement for payment.

Was thinking more along the time frame of 7 to 10 days; as it would be a similar range to awaiting payments from buyers. Also 3 weeks pushes it into the time frame when fees would be applied for the purchased item. That is of concern to me as the item was about $90.

Have you tried contacting them through the email address? It may be that as they have paid they haven't thought about logging in to eBid again, just expecting the item to be on its way.

Like you, I have always checked with buyer if the paypal address is different.

Thread Information