Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Argh!!!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Argh!!!

Been having various problems with my PC of late, so decided to go for a full format and reinstall.

Formatted OK, but Windows 7 then refused to install. It decided it no longer liked the drive it had been running on for years.

Had to get 'down and dirty' with DOS to sort the problems out. I used to be a whizz with DOS but years of Windows have clearly blunted my skills (though my profanity skills are still top notch).

Had to destroy the partition that was my drive D:\ though - which was never in the original plan. As such I never specifically duplicated it before starting. Hopefully my backup sets work (backups usually fail when you actually need them).

So what started out as a few hours job has taken all day. As at now Windows is still installing and I still have to reinstall everything (assuming the Windows install completes) after that.

Not a happy bunny.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Argh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Been having various problems with my PC of late, so decided to go for a full format and reinstall.

Formatted OK, but Windows 7 then refused to install. It decided it no longer liked the drive it had been running on for years.

Had to get 'down and dirty' with DOS to sort the problems out. I used to be a whizz with DOS but years of Windows have clearly blunted my skills (though my profanity skills are still top notch).

Had to destroy the partition that was my drive D:\ though - which was never in the original plan. As such I never specifically duplicated it before starting. Hopefully my backup sets work (backups usually fail when you actually need them).

So what started out as a few hours job has taken all day. As at now Windows is still installing and I still have to reinstall everything (assuming the Windows install completes) after that.

Not a happy bunny.
    it's that pesky rabbits fault. LOL
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post

Not a happy bunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    it's that pesky rabbits fault. LOL
    Yeah, Argh!!

Here is a site that has some great free programs http://www.aomeitech.com/ I have used the partition assistant to recovered lost partitions & backupper to make backups.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

I feel your pain.

I've just replaced motherboard, processor and hard drive.

http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...64#post1615964
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jammalooms
    View jammalooms's Listings
    Forum Posts

yep, ive had trouble too, i tried to reinstall windows 8 from disc, i couldnt do it, because i kept getting a message on the install, this windows 8 os has reached its maximum amount of installs. so iinstalled my old windows 7 disc, i still need to buy a new activision code, as my old is no good, again, used to many times.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jammalooms View Post
    yep, ive had trouble too, i tried to reinstall windows 8 from disc, i couldnt do it, because i kept getting a message on the install, this windows 8 os has reached its maximum amount of installs. so iinstalled my old windows 7 disc, i still need to buy a new activision code, as my old is no good, again, used to many times.
    I remember that from XP, you just had to call Microsoft for an activation code though - no payment involved.

I usually like a fresh install each year, just to get rid of all the hidden system clutter and remains of old applications. Took me two days just to get Windows to install this time - it really did take against my hard drive for some reason. Then 170+ updates to get through. I've took a disk image this time, so hopefully I can use that to wind the clock back next time and save a lot of grief.

Thread Information