Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: newbie seller needs info on payments

Forum Newbie
    All-About jammalooms
    View jammalooms's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default newbie seller needs info on payments

hi all, im new and plan on getting seller+ tomorrow when im paid from my normal job,

i have afew questions about accepting payments,

i dont want to use paypal, ive had a nightmare with them in the pass when i tried to move alot of money from my paypal account to my bank, they limited my account and held my money i had to upload my photo id and NI number along with bank statements to release my money, they even wanted a passport id, i dont have a passport as i dont travel aboard, was a nightmare. and took 2 and half months to release the money, after many phone calls and emails back and forth not getting anywhere.

i see ebid accept pppay, has anyone got any expereince with pppay, are they like paypal - (idiots)

is it the norm for buyers to use pppay on ebid, (ive dumped ebay - do i even need a reason)

i normally sell as a hobby, and to make a bit of money on the side. i'll probably list a max of 5-6 items a week, is it worth going seller+ ?

my main concern is paypal, i do not want to deal with them.

Default Re: newbie seller needs info on payments

While I have also had issues with Paypal in the past the unfortunate truth is that they ate the main payment method for most buyers, so despite what we may think of them about them you are likely to get fewer sales if you use other payment methods. I would offer as many as you are comfortable with to at least try to restrict what goes to Paypal, but I would grit my teeth and use Paypal. I try to take the money out as quick as I can to try to avoid it building up and causing problems.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

As a hobby seller I don't need to make a living here so I don't accept paypoo & have still managed to make sales.PPPay has improved a lot just lately &,touch wood,I haven't had a problem with them.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jammalooms
    View jammalooms's Listings
    Forum Posts

thanks for quick replys, im going to try give paypal a miss, but if its obvious im getting no where then i might have to use them,

im the same bluebedouin, just a hobby seller, nothing serious. when i had the trouble with paypal, i had saved money in the account for almost a year, obviously they dont like it when you want to move it out of their account. i felt like they where trying to steal it from me.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Two issues with PPPay which (as far as I am aware) have not been fixed....

1. New PPPay users must complete a verification check. Until they do that a payment can be stuck in limbo with the buyer thinking they have paid but the seller not able to take the payment.

2. Every time you have to update your card details you get stung for a non-refundable verification fee.

I stopped using it for these reasons. As it is an eBid sister company I would love to support it.
    Last edited by astral276; 21st July 2014 at 03:55 PM.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Jammalooms and welcome to eBid!

You can also use Skrill. Would recommend checking their fee structure for buyer and seller. I preferred them when they were moneybookers. I put my own account on hold a long time ago, when they first changed to Skrill due to unclear answers about fees and terms of use. It has been long enough and they may have their act together by now. Would use them again if they are sorted.

You can also use checks, money orders, etc.

P.S. I also can accept payment by Dwolla, but think they are only offered in USA at this time. Their fee structure is fantastic.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

You can use any form of payment you like on eBid, PPPay, Skrill, money orders, even chocolate as Her Majesty says.

IMHO seller+ lifetime is a good deal if you're going to list more than a few items and/or stick around for a while. You get 5 free stores to sort your items, plus no listing/relisting fees and only 2% FVF when items sell. Oh and 5 free pix per listing.

Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Newbie
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View FatSpider's Feedback (+193)
    All-About FatSpider
    View FatSpider's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've had a personal Paypal account for over ten years and a Business account for over 5, I've never had problems with either, with my personal account I've only transferred funds to my bank on a couple of occasions but I do it at least once a month with my Business account and the money goes through in a couple of days without a hitch.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

I feel that i you decline to accept paypal as a payment method then you'll see next to no sales on this site and will be back here, and telling your associates that Ebid is a waste of time or you as you couldn't make any sales.

You can offer to accept cheques, postal orders, bank transfer, but these payment methods will offer buyers no protection should the transaction turn bad. Hence they will not in most cases make a purchase from you.

Thread Information