Thread: false advertisment

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: false advertisment

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    In which case he should have got an invoice with a 50% discount off the third item. It would appear from the buyer that the invoice sent was the total amount for the 3.

Never let me near a shop offering buy 3 get one free . Buy 3 and get an additional one free fits into my obviously warped shopping logic but if I see buy 3 get one free then my shopping brain is somewhat out of touch!

Ok so I know that I am wrong........
    wrong

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

might be right.

13 members viewing and 5 guests

To me it seems like a little misunderstanding all round that has not been improved by poor communication. I would read it as buy and pay for 3 and get a 4th free or buy 3 with 2 at full price and get a third at half price. Maybe that could be made more clear on the listings, but it should certainly have been made clear when the invoice was sent. I would not pay part of an invoice that I thought was wrong, I would want to sort out the misunderstanding prior to making any payment. A polite exchange should be all that is needed with both sides admitting to a little of the confusion and misunderstanding.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Take this to a different level.

Buy one get one free. Would this mean just pick one out and it's free? Of course not. You buy/pay for one and get one free. Also known as Buy/pay for one get another one or second for free.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    To me it seems like a little misunderstanding all round that has not been improved by poor communication. I would read it as buy and pay for 3 and get a 4th free or buy 3 with 2 at full price and get a third at half price. Maybe that could be made more clear on the listings, but it should certainly have been made clear when the invoice was sent. I would not pay part of an invoice that I thought was wrong, I would want to sort out the misunderstanding prior to making any payment. A polite exchange should be all that is needed with both sides admitting to a little of the confusion and misunderstanding.
    Agreed any issue could have been handled properly, professionally and politely. However, I can't see where the seller should be blamed for lack of clarity.

I read books.

I read books.

Do I no longer read books?
    Must sellers explain all possibilities of any given scenario? If so we're not going to gain a lot of sellers.
    My opinion is the listing is clear as a bell. The buyer misread it and took it to read what they wanted it to read.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I suppose we could all just BOGOF!
    I'll take the free one!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I understand the statement as purchasing 3 items and get a 4th item for free.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Never had chance to really look at things before, was busy with more important global problems that have to take precedence for me over everything else. After reviewing listings, how things are worded etc. it is clear to me that the offer is that you buy and pay for 3 while getting a 4th item free. The seller really does need to reword their offer to state the following so there is no mix up: "Buy three and get a fourth item free" of whatever the item is.

I can see why some people can get mixed up by thinking buying three means the third item will be free because a store like Boots will run an offer where you buy 3 items and the third item is in fact free (the 3 for 2 offer but is stated as 3 for 2) so it is easy to expect buyers to jump to the conclusion that this is what the seller of this particular item may have meant - bad wording from the seller and a misunderstanding by the buyer.

Either way, even when invoiced for the three items, no discount was given for the so-called third item at 50% off as according to the sellers' other offer. And the seller did not mention anything during the invoice process about selecting the "fourth free item". I would also question why the seller is invoicing via PayPal and not invoicing properly through the eBid system.

Sellers really do need to take care with wording when it comes to special offers. I used to run a 3 for 2 offer on action figures but it clearly stated that the third and cheapest item would be free.
    Last edited by rokins_toys; 24th July 2014 at 12:20 AM.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    . I would read that as having to purchase three items to get an ADDITIONAL free one. Not buy TWO get one free as the buyer has assumed.

The seller has NOT threatened any negative feedback. That, again, is the buyer's assumption.

Agreed...thanks!

Thread Information