Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patience for possible NPB's

Default Patience for possible NPB's

On several occasions there have been mentions of Non Paying Bidders (NPB's) on the forums. Some sellers have a very strict policy on this. I am a little more relaxed and do not consider it a sale until payment is received. Here is a perfect example of why this more relaxed attitude can help.

On Sunday 14th September I sold an item, not exactly a cheap item, £31.99. Here is what followed:

40 minutes after the purchase I sent an invoice.
    16th September I sent a payment reminder
    19th September a second payment reminder was sent
    Since the second reminder I have done nothing, but was considering getting the FVF refunded. No negative, no NPB dispute and not marked as NPB.

Tonight 4th October, just over 20 days after the purchase the buyer has paid. No contact at any time, just a purchase and a late payment. But would that payment have been made if they had received a negative feedback or been marked as an NPB?

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Patience for possible NPB's

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    On several occasions there have been mentions of Non Paying Bidders (NPB's) on the forums. Some sellers have a very strict policy on this. I am a little more relaxed and do not consider it a sale until payment is received. Here is a perfect example of why this more relaxed attitude can help.

On Sunday 14th September I sold an item, not exactly a cheap item, £31.99. Here is what followed:

40 minutes after the purchase I sent an invoice.
    16th September I sent a payment reminder
    19th September a second payment reminder was sent
    Since the second reminder I have done nothing, but was considering getting the FVF refunded. No negative, no NPB dispute and not marked as NPB.

Tonight 4th October, just over 20 days after the purchase the buyer has paid. No contact at any time, just a purchase and a late payment. But would that payment have been made if they had received a negative feedback or been marked as an NPB?

That is very noble of you. Every seller must decide for themselves what works for their business.

I often look to eBid themselves as a seller model. What seems to work for them is "immediate payment secured for their listings" and "payment of fees within 24 hours, or direct credit card debit will occur". I think eBid has a sound seller payment expectation model.

Personally, I usually allow up to 7 - 10 days for payment, unless buyer contacts me. I have had buyers contact with particular circumstances, and payment arrangement was extended accordingly. Think my longest was 1.5 months, and not a problem.

I would never suggest that all sellers should do as I do, as it simply may not suit their way of running their business.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, patience is a virtue, they say: but, here's my recent saga:

Tue 10 Feb 2015 @ 09:54:58 (GMT) FVF refunded FVF Recredited : Waited so long, still no comms from buyer: request refund of FVF + item relisted
    Tue 03 Feb 2015 @ 18:15:20 (GMT) NPB Notification Entered No communication at all from buyer
    Tue 03 Feb 2015 @ 05:48:48 (GMT) Payment Reminder Invoice Resent to lynnw196
    Fri 30 Jan 2015 @ 21:13:26 (GMT) Question ( #4415758) to lynnw196 nudge Please let me know if you intend to purchase this item - Steve
    Sun 25 Jan 2015 @ 20:45:38 (GMT) Payment Reminder Invoice Resent to lynnw196
    Sun 18 Jan 2015 @ 19:27:48 (GMT) Invoice Created Sent to lynnw196
    Sun 18 Jan 2015 @ 17:17:38 (GMT) Successful BuyNow (buying) Confirmation Confirmation email sent to lynnw196 (popup)
    Sun 18 Jan 2015 @ 17:17:38 (GMT) Successful BuyNow (selling) Confirmation Confirmation email sent to 20sent06 (popup)

I do make allowances, especially for new buyers, and usually the sale happens. But not this time sadly.

If there is a 2-way chat, so much the better - after all, It's good to talk...
    Last edited by 20sent06; 10th February 2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    Yes, patientce is a virtue, they say: but, here's my recent saga: .....

I do make allowances, especially for new buyers, and usually the sale happens. But not this time sadly. ....
    Just one more thing to do.

Leave suitable feedback as currently none is showing.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Just one more thing to do.

Leave suitable feedback as currently none is showing.
    Wilco - regretably so...

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    That is very noble of you. Every seller must decide for themselves what works for their business.

I often look to eBid themselves as a seller model. What seems to work for them is "immediate payment secured for their listings" and "payment of fees within 24 hours, or direct credit card debit will occur". I think eBid has a sound seller payment expectation model.

Personally, I usually allow up to 7 - 10 days for payment, unless buyer contacts me. I have had buyers contact with particular circumstances, and payment arrangement was extended accordingly. Think my longest was 1.5 months, and not a problem.

I would never suggest that all sellers should do as I do, as it simply may not suit their way of running their business.
    Ditto this, my policy is similar to yours, (payment within 7-10 days of purchase, unless other arrangements have been made). It's always nice to get fast payment, (and it's what I do as a buyer when buying online), but if the buyer has issues and contacts me about them, I'm always willing to work with the buyer. Not hearing anything does get me a bit skeeved though; after all, how long does it take to drop a quick line to explain your circumstances?

Kudos to you Kreative, nice to see your patience paid off.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

I also give buyers a chance . . . first an invoice after three days, then two reminders three days apart, then an email. Three days after the email, if there's still no response, I mark them as NPB and request my FVF refund. That's 12 days total for them to respond.

I used to give them more time, but about a year ago I had a NPB for a $30 item. I waited too long and the option to request my FVF refund was gone. I contacted Support and learned there is a time limit to request it (don't remember how long and I can't find their email). I can't find any mention of it in the Help Section either. A FVF of 60 cents isn't the end of the world, but I'm going to be more proactive if it happens again.

Over the last couple of years I have sold a number of items to a buyer who has always paid very quickly, correspondence fine, feedback left on receipt of the items. In all, an excellent buyer. However, a few weeks ago I made a further sale to him but since then I have heard nothing. I have re-sent the invoice, and sent emails, payment request, but not a word back. I note from the buyer's feedback score that nothing has been added since 26 January, despite the buyer being quite prolific in buying stamps on eBid. This suggests to me that something may have happened to the buyer, and he is unable to respond. But I would think it pretty difficult to find out if something has happened to him if he does cannot provide any information himself. Has anyone else found been in a similar situation ?

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondwatkins View Post
    .... I would think it pretty difficult to find out if something has happened to him if he does cannot provide any information himself. ....
    It's not really that difficult to contact someone,particularly if you have a fair bit of information.Do a google search on the name & address and/or the email address.I've done this before & within a few clicks have come up with a phone number.Failing that,explain the situation to support & they might give you the registered phone number.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    It's not really that difficult to contact someone,particularly if you have a fair bit of information.Do a google search on the name & address and/or the email address.I've done this before & within a few clicks have come up with a phone number.Failing that,explain the situation to support & they might give you the registered phone number.
    Good point, a street address and name search will frequently reveal a phone number (try the Ultimates, a good free search source), if the buyer has a landline phone, unfortunately cellphone numbers can't always be found online. If in doubt, as Blue said you can always contact support: support@ebid.net and they may be willing to provide the phone contact info..

Good luck, hope you hear something from the buyer soon, or get the payment for the items purchased.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information