Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ebola

Default Re: Ebola

So has anyone given any practical thought to what they'd do if Ebola was reported in your own town? Would you still go to the local shops, post office or other public areas? Would you lock the door, curl up with a stack of books and wait it out? Would you turn the postman away in case he brings more than your eBid order? Or would you just carry on believing those in power when they say it's all under control?
    Last edited by damian_steele; 15th October 2014 at 01:23 PM.

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

Has any one read this

Honest, reliable seller looking for honest, reliable buyers.

Emmily's Pin Badges
    New and used pin badges

NAWT Charity Store
    Take a minute to take a look

End of the Rainbow
    Will you find treasure at the end of the rainbow.
    Cuddly puppies and kittens now available.

YDC Charity Auctions

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

The first known case of Ebola was reported in 1976 so was only a matter of time before it reached the West. Guess we needed a bit more time to prepare for it
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

The medical people say that the ebola virus can only be transmitted between people through body fluids. Consequently there is little risk of catching it at the shops or from your postman.

To put this all into perspective, in the UK we have high numbers of deaths amongst the elderly each winter caused by the flu and other coldness related issues. A lot of this could be avoided if the elderly had enough money to keep themselves properly warm and if there were adequate social services visits to look after them. However, the values of our society are that money is more important than looking after elderly people so as a society we let them die.

So this fuss about ebola in the UK seems strange to me when we have not yet had a single case of ebola and when we let thousands of elderly people die unnecessarily each winter and do not even notice it.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/11Novemb...st-winter.aspx

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

this chap has a interesting view on ebola as well as a few other things, the video is a couple of months old now what he predicted has come to pass its also very interesting on how the virus can travel, which we are not told about, that is were not lied to because of the official definition of " air born " there again were not actually put in the picture !!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnQV...VSIA63OV3J6vhA
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

This thread seems to have lost a lot of weight.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    The medical people say that the ebola virus can only be transmitted between people through body fluids. Consequently there is little risk of catching it at the shops or from your postman.

To put this all into perspective, in the UK we have high numbers of deaths amongst the elderly each winter caused by the flu and other coldness related issues. A lot of this could be avoided if the elderly had enough money to keep themselves properly warm and if there were adequate social services visits to look after them. However, the values of our society are that money is more important than looking after elderly people so as a society we let them die.

So this fuss about ebola in the UK seems strange to me when we have not yet had a single case of ebola and when we let thousands of elderly people die unnecessarily each winter and do not even notice it.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/11Novemb...st-winter.aspx
    Couldn't agree more; if you replace UK with U.S., it's pretty much the same situation over here. IMHO poverty and inadequate provisioning for the less fortunate (not to mention drug company greed and profitmongering at the expense of public health) are the bigger problems, not a virus.

This ebola issue reminds me of the HIV scare some years ago, when everyone was afraid of contracting HIV/AIDS from handshakes, sneezes and the like, and even health care workers were somewhat afraid to care for those with HIV. I was in nursing school at the time and took care of a man who was HIV positive and died of AIDS; (though the hospital stated heart failure as the cause of death even though he tested positive for HIV and had kaposi's sarcoma, as there was such a public stigma at the time of declaring that an HIV positive patient had been in a particular place, especially a small city hospital); a polite and very lovely gentleman, and never contracted the virus, due to taking proper precautions. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I refuse to be mastered by fear and think there will be a solution as there was for HIV - I only hope in the interim there won't be an attendant stigma as great as that of HIV in its time.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 15th October 2014 at 05:55 PM.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emmily121 View Post
    Has any one read this
    yes i read it, interesting they now admit it can be transmitted through the air, however unlikely, only took a couple of months to get that correct

So far, nobody has said there is.
    If you read what was written you'll see that I have been trying to stimulate a discussion by posing a few questions; I have not been advocating a course of action.

All quite true. However, these issue are beyond the scope of this thread. If you want to discuss them feel free to start another thread on that topic.

So this fuss about ebola in the UK seems strange to me when we have not yet had a single case of ebola ....
    If I understand your use of the word "fuss" there will always be a fuss over any issue that is seen as a threat to a large part of society. Often once the media have a new story to concentrate on the fuss will die down. Such is life.

At the moment Ebola is a topic that is in the media and on the minds of many. I felt it would be a suitable topic for people to discuss their thoughts and share information about. It is often a good idea to get people thinking about how they'd deal with a situation before that actual situation arises and, should the worst happen, having planned ahead may even save someone's life. So feel free to join in with both the topic and spirit of the thread, or not, as you choose.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    So has anyone given any practical thought to what they'd do if Ebola was reported in your own town? Would you still go to the local shops, post office or other public areas? Would you lock the door, curl up with a stack of books and wait it out? Would you turn the postman away in case he brings more than your eBid order? Or would you just carry on believing those in power when they say it's all under control?
    if it does start spreading in the uk were im currently living, then its a virus at the moment theres not a lot we can do to treat it or be vaccinated for, so my plan is i head back to my mountain retreat, which you know i already have, im lucky in that fact i know,

as for others i would advise to stay in quarantine your selves thats the easy bit, what people need to do to prepare for such a event is the next question

Thread Information