Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shill Bidding?

Forum Newbie
    All-About barrydixon
    View barrydixon's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Shill Bidding?

Hi,

I bid on an item last week and was the highest bidder for pretty well the whole auction. I had put quite a high maximum bid in and the high bid was quite a bit lower than my maximum up to a few minutes before the end of the auction then another user came in and outbid me. The item was re-listed later the same day with the seller saying that it was because of non-payment. I bid on the item again and the same thing happened, with the same user as before outbidding me at the last minute. This seems very suspicious to me. Why would a user bid on the same item twice if they don't want it?

The seller had a Buy Now price with a low auction start price and I suspect when the bidding wasn't getting anywhere near the Buy Now price the seller didn't want to sell at the lower price so put in a high bid on another account. Does this sound likely?
    Last edited by barry.dixon; 15th October 2014 at 09:57 AM.

Default Re: Shill Bidding?

This does sound rather strange to have this happen twice. I would report this to support giving them both the item numbers and let them investigate. support@eBid.net

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

It also happens when a seller decides they do not want to sell for the price bid. In any case, report.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Newbie
    All-About barrydixon
    Forum Posts

Thanks, I'll do that

Forum Newbie
    All-About barrydixon
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    It also happens when a seller decides they do not want to sell for the price bid. In any case, report.
    I thought they could put a reserve price on it, or at least set the starting price to the lowest price they will accept.

It's just a waste of time for buyers if people do this and if they are bidding against themselves with another account isn't that against eBid rules?

I see that practice as fraudulent. If my bid was, say, £150 and the highest but I had put a maximum in of £400, if they then bid on it they could boost the price up to £400 so on winning the auction I would end up paying £400 whereas if they hadn't boosted the price themselves I would have got it for £150.

I'm new to eBid and if that is the sort of practice that goes on I don't think I'll bother.
    Last edited by barry.dixon; 15th October 2014 at 10:06 AM.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barry.dixon View Post
    I thought they could put a reserve price on it, or at least set the starting price to the lowest price they will accept.

It's just a waste of time for buyers if people do this and if they are bidding against themselves with another account isn't that against eBid rules?

I see that practice as fraudulent. If my bid was, say, £150 and the highest but I had put a maximum in of £400, if they then bid on it they could boost the price up to £400 so on winning the auction I would end up paying £400 whereas if they hadn't boosted the price themselves I would have got it for £150.

I'm new to eBid and if that is the sort of practice that goes on I don't think I'll bother.

no seller or buyer can have two accounts on ebid unless its for very good reasons and they need to apply for it through management , if you think a auction has been shilled or ring fenced you should give the details to ebid.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

eBid take action straight away if there is a case of shill bidding. Someone's account was closed only a couple of months ago because of that very reason. Management here take it very seriously that is why I said you should report it to be investigated. Shill bidding can happen on any auction site, not just eBid , at least here you can be assured that action would be taken.

Forum Newbie
    All-About barrydixon
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    no seller or buyer can have two accounts on ebid unless its for very good reasons and they need to apply for it through management , if you think a auction has been shilled or ring fenced you should give the details to ebid.
    It's simple to create a second account. As a test I've just created a second account and it went through fine.

I have reported it to eBid so I'll see what they do.

It's simple to create a second account. As a test I've just created a second account and it went through fine.

I would advise you to close the second account pronto if you haven't asked permission because you might find yourself locked out of eBid altogether !

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

do w se you ?
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Thread Information