eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Rural parts of Wales *could* pay more for postal services

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Rural parts of Wales *could* pay more for postal services

Rural Wales could suffer if competition continues to jeopardise the Royal Mail, a business organisation has said.

The South Wales Chamber of Commerce said areas of Powys, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, among others, might have to pay more for postal services.

Shares in Royal Mail dropped by 8.3% after the company warned rivals are "cherry picking" urban mail routes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-30131296

Although about Wales, the implications are much, much wider ...................

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Rural parts of Wales *could* pay more for postal services

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Rural Wales could suffer if competition continues to jeopardise the Royal Mail, a business organisation has said.

The South Wales Chamber of Commerce said areas of Powys, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, among others, might have to pay more for postal services.

Shares in Royal Mail dropped by 8.3% after the company warned rivals are "cherry picking" urban mail routes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-30131296

Although about Wales, the implications are much, much wider ...................
    This "government" is unbelievable. They sell off Royal Mail at a ludicrous low price to their cronies apparently without any guarantees about the service they would be required to provide. They are also stealthily doing the same with the NHS.
    These are both bad ideas we are copying from the USA. Why don't we copy compassionate countries e.g. scandinavian countries?
    I wonder what would have happened in the Scottish referendum if this had been announced before rather than after the vote.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Must admit that I didn't pay that much attention at the time... but I thought that maintaining Universal Delivery was a condition of the sell-off. If RM try to back out of that then they should be penalised to an extent that it is not worth them dropping it.

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Feel that RM only have themselves to blame for loss of revenue. They took the rather greedy road of charging by size as well as weight. Was listing on TOS at the time and a large number of small private sellers had to abandon items they were selling for 99p (i.e toys, books etc) because they couldn't ask £3-5+ for postage - it's had a huge effect on what can be listed online - they killed the golden goose, thinking that they could make more money from what was a monopoly position and opened the way for Courier services to gain a better foothold. Well done, Moya (noticed the Head of Parcels left the following year) Who can calculate how many items were not posted because buyers were not prepared to pay high postage and sellers didn't bother listing them and gave them to charity shops or landfill?
    I can't be the only person that swears every time I list something that's just over 2.5cms/8cm (now 16cms!) and have to ask for a ridiculous amount to post it - not to mention the times that you have to not pack an item as well as you would like because it needs to say inside the size band.

Thread Information