eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Paypal really as bad as it sounds?

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is Paypal really as bad as it sounds?

Or is it like Wagner's music?

There has been a lot of angst expressed here about Paypal's new scammers charter, where theives and vagabonds can return goods after 6 months at the sellers expense, and claim a refund.

Sounds terrible, but how likely is it to affect anyone here?

When we walk about the streets, we know that we might be run down by a drunken motorist who mounts the pavement. Or struck by lightning. These things happen, but not often and not to many people. So we continue to walk the streets.

Shouldn't we take the same view about Paypal's policy - worry about the effect when it happens.

I'm dismayed to read posters who say they won't use Paypal now, and so disadvantage themselves severely with online selling.

Aren't they doing the equivalent to never going out to avoid being struck by lightning?

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is Paypal really as bad as it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post

There has been a lot of angst expressed here about Paypal's new scammers charter, where theives and vagabonds can return goods after 6 months at the sellers expense, and claim a refund.

When we walk about the streets, we know that we might be run down by a drunken motorist who mounts the pavement. Or struck by lightning. These things happen, but not often and not to many people. So we continue to walk the streets.

Shouldn't we take the same view about Paypal's policy - worry about the effect when it happens.

I'm dismayed to read posters who say they won't use Paypal now, and so disadvantage themselves severely with online selling.

Aren't they doing the equivalent to never going out to avoid being struck by lightning?

it can effect anyone here who accepts PP just as it can effect anyone using PP on feebay

you are being naive if you believe scammers only operate on feebay , as if they dont know of other e-commerce sites

you might well be able to handle a return of a 4.99 chisel after 6months, your not really the first in line for a scam are you, but give a thought to some one selling a 500 note item for instance who really needs the money, suddenly after 5 months being hit with a return and refund.

your analogy of a drunken motorist is a bit simplistic , you failed to mention if you did get hit , your road to recovery could be along one , the same as being hit with a large or multiple small returns and refunds , it could well end a sellers selling activities and course them financial difficulties, you also failed to mention with your analogy that a drunk driver victim has two recourses to compensation a paypal seller does not,

were as i have always been a seller paypal user i shall now be looking seriously into using another payment provider,

im surprised your being so naive
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wagner's music, LOL!

Agree with you, haven't had a problem yet (knock wood) and refuse to worry about "what if."

Happy holidaze and best wishes for many sales to all,

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have stopped offering Paypal on eBid for a few months now. It has not stopped me from making sales here. Am now accepting Skrill as my integrated payment method here, as well as money orders. I have had no problems with receiving payments or buyer issues with either method. See it as a matter of seller choice; and each seller has a right to determine how to run their own sales activities.

In support of Paypal, I have never had a problem with them as a buyer or a seller. Have even had them give me the benefit of the doubt when faced with unscrupulous buyers. However, as I departed from eBay as a seller long ago, because of what I saw coming for sellers; I have made a decision concerning Paypal, because I can see the potential damage this new policy could cause sellers.

If proven wrong, I will be the first to admit it. If Paypal works for a seller, than continue to use it, if you choose; but please allow other sellers to make this choice for themselves, without having to deal with peer pressure from others who sell here. JMHO.

I'm not worried about it. We have never had an item returned, but I know it could happen. I wait 60 days before I update our records and remove items on the Sold page. Just in case. Because we sell collectibles, if something ever does get returned we can list it again.

I can see this being a problem for sellers who have seasonal items, new items, novelty items that lose their value fairly soon, and people who buy for resale and have to manage their inventory carefully.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

The six month policy will most likely only affect a very small number of sellers. A number of sellers now running away from PayPal will, no doubt, see a drop in their sells as the new policy will make buyers feel more secure and buyers will not want to move to another payment service. Most of these sellers will drift back to PayPal.

As a buyer, I will always chose a seller offering PayPal to one using a payment service I don't belong to or in a lot of cases never heard of before

Even when given a choice by the large well known companies to enter my CC on their site or PayPal I will use the latter simply because it's easiest.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    The six month policy will most likely only affect a very small number of sellers. A number of sellers now running away from PayPal will, no doubt, see a drop in their sells as the new policy will make buyers feel more secure and buyers will not want to move to another payment service. Most of these sellers will drift back to PayPal.

As a buyer, I will always chose a seller offering PayPal to one using a payment service I don't belong to or in a lot of cases never heard of before

Even when given a choice by the large well known companies to enter my CC on their site or PayPal I will use the latter simply because it's easiest.

according to your favourite site forums without the return and refund over 6months SNADs are already on the increase have been for a few years and you dont think it will escalate with giving buyers even more time, there again as you say yourself , its hardly going to effect you as you hardly sell anything these days,

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

That last remark was a bit uncalled-for.

Sellers of some items are always going to be at a higher risk of dishonesty than others. Sellers of diamonds and gold bullion are more likely to be targetted by armed robbers than a hot-dog stall. They have to take preventative measures.

There are some things I would never sell online, like clothing, because it is just asking for trouble even without Paypal's scammers charter. If you choose to sell it, you also choose to take on the problems. Having made the choice and experienced the problems, a seller can either change the product, or accept the losses.

It's a free choice, so no justification for complaining about the problems if one makes it. Boring, too.

There aren't many safe, cheap ways to transfer money nationally and internationally that are easily available. Paypal happens to be one. Weighing up the benefits and risks, it still comes out ahead of most alternatives.

My problem with this is primarily that Paypal will almost always take the buyers side. For example:

Sold a dolls house for £129 on 10th November.
    21st November a dispute was opened claiming damage and missing parts. No contact had been made with me.
    22nd November I received an email with the following message:

"hi Andrew I'm email regarding the dolls house that arrived damged"

I replied asking for details with photographs so that I could launch a claim with the courier.

25th November the reply was:

"hi yeah ill do that for some weird reason my reply has disappeared "

28th dispute changed to a claim.

I had no more emails despite sending several myself. I sent Paypal copies of the emails showing no co-operation and that despite the buyer stating on Paypal that pictures were sent that they were not.

The outcome, despite me providing evidence and the buyer doing nothing was this from Paypal:

"We contacted the buyer and let them know that you would agree to process a full refund if they return the merchandise to you in its original condition."

I had not agreed to refund as there was no proof provided by the buyer, his claim was looking more and more like a scam all the time. Luckily he has not returned the goods or provided Paypal with the required shipping details, so he has the goods that were sent and I will get the payment.

But as with other cases, Paypal automatically sided with the buyer, despite apparently looking at the evidence and reviewing it. This case could easily have left me over £100 out of pocket and I have little confidence in Paypal being fair to the seller under the extended returns.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

That last remark was a bit uncalled-for.

Sellers of some items are always going to be at a higher risk of dishonesty than others. Sellers of diamonds and gold bullion are more likely to be targetted by armed robbers than a hot-dog stall. They have to take preventative measures.

There are some things I would never sell online, like clothing, because it is just asking for trouble even without Paypal's scammers charter. If you choose to sell it, you also choose to take on the problems. Having made the choice and experienced the problems, a seller can either change the product, or accept the losses.

It's a free choice, so no justification for complaining about the problems if one makes it. Boring, too.

There aren't many safe, cheap ways to transfer money nationally and internationally that are easily available. Paypal happens to be one. Weighing up the benefits and risks, it still comes out ahead of most alternatives.
    the last remark as you put it was called for, it really matters little what you sell the point is you sell if some one wants it some one else will want it at some point some one will scam you for it , like the dolls house exampled above, the same scam was also tried on me here for a £7.00 packet of seals, a £30.00 lamp, justt because you have not experienced it does not mean you wont, which is the point of my post, i can not believe this " suck it and see" attitude, il bet you money squem if paypal dont change this policy and people dont work to find alternative payment options this forum will increasingly be come tails of being scammed for SNADs and not received,the brunt of this problem or the solving of it , is sellers to sharpen up, offer alternative payment options , always send by a tracked and recorded means , your returns policy out front , that is know the law, pack for the roughest of handling and state so, and site owners to give this some serious thought, ive read lots of tails of sellers leaving the e-commerce world because the odds are stacked to high against them.

Thread Information