eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Laptop techie help please

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Laptop techie help please

I'm not sure if this an eBid site issue or my laptop.

Since I tried to download Google Chrome a week ago I've been having problems.

My system is very, very slow and when trying to use the eBid site I keep getting, 'eBid.net is not responding due to a long running script' - this appears at the bottom of the screen on the forums and My eBid.

I also keep hearing voices in the background but I can't see anything that's been downloaded to cause this.

I've uninstalled Google Chrome as it appeared on the list of installations but the above is still an issue.

I'm using IE11 and Win7.

Any help much appreciated.

Edit - after deleting G Chrome I did a reboot and it's more or less back to normal. I'll wait 24 hours before closing this thread, just in case.
    Last edited by Gill; 17th December 2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Default Re: Laptop techie help please

It's possible that your Anti-Virus or the Microsoft malware check stripped out some crucial part(s) of Chrome. Installing under Safe mode with network should prevent that occurring.

I use Chrome on laptop and tower using W7 with no problem; unfortunately, as we all know, things are rarely straightforward with PC's!

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you for the reply cam.

eBid is still taking a while to load which I'm putting down to the ads. I'm also getting a message - that disappears before I can get a screenshot - that IE is optimised for Bing and MSN but neither appear in the Program list.

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to take this laptop to my PC guy to sort out.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Have you tried running the free version of Malwarebytes? It's pretty good at hooking out the dross that can slow you down.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Download and install "free" version and refuse the offer of a trial of the pro version. When you run the free one it will update its signatures and sort many problems.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I run MS Security Essentials once a week, doesn't that do the same as what you've suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I run MS Security Essentials once a week, doesn't that do the same as what you've suggested?
    Ahh...part of security essential may well have stripped a file or so from from Chrome as it downloaded (see earlier post). To give an example of MS's automatic processes at work:

I had a wifi problem over a year back with two laptops, identical wifi cards. The Virgin Media forums were blaming the hub firmware. I got MS to check the drivers for the cards and it told me they were the latest. Being a suspicious sort of chap I went to the manufacturer's site and found they had a newer driver that addressed this problem specifically, downloaded and installed and problem was fixed.

Whenever Windows updates I double check all the features important to me "just in case." It's time consuming but better than beating out my brains a month later when something does not work.

Malwarebytes will clear PUP's (potentially unwanted executables) and other things. I run this regularly and then run "Wise registry Cleaner" (free version) to clean out the registry.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

A huge THANK YOU cam.

I downloaded malwarebytes and it found 85 files (?), 5 of which were potentially dangerous for want of a better word. I put them into quarantine and now my laptop is running like a dream. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    A huge THANK YOU cam.

I downloaded malwarebytes and it found 85 files (?), 5 of which were potentially dangerous for want of a better word. I put them into quarantine and now my laptop is running like a dream. Fingers crossed.
    Glad to hear that! And yes...keep fingers crossed!

Thread Information