eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: My eBid Cap Trip to Laos & Cambodia!

Default Re: My eBid Cap Trip to Laos & Cambodia!

I want to say a huge thank you to your bro and sis. I was trying to arrange something for them in Phnom Penh, but none of my contacts was in the capital at the time, would have made a hell of an interesting addition the trip report.

Cambodia is a massive part of who I am (I had a place there for a few years in rather testing times). It has been a little difficult to make sure that I don't comment too much on this thread, Cambodia back then could provide (for most people) a lifetime of experiences in just one week. It is the one place in the world that I will never return to because the time that I was there was so unique and I don't want to replace my memories with new ones. So seeing the place through others gives me great pleasure - the country is developing extremely well.

There is not a week that goes by where someone says something which triggers a video replay in my mind of the time that I was there. The most difficult thing for myself and the few others who lived there during this time is that it is impossible to make others understand what it was like and the experiences that occurred, a high percentage of those who were there are no longer here.

It was often the smallest detail in a photo that your bro and sis provided that started a video replay in my mind (your brothers seating position whilst having a beer for instance). There are no words that I can say which will give the sense of gratitude that I have for this thread, has moved me far more than I would admit to.

Thank you!

As an added note:

Cambodia has a tragic history, during the Vietnam war Cambodia became an innocent casualty, with a weak puppet government installed it led to the Khmer Rouge taking over the country in 1975. During the next four years somewhere in the region of 2 - 4 million people were killed (over 25% of the population) in an act of unbelievable genocide.

War in the 1980's followed by a complex 3 way Civil war throughout the 1990's and finally in 1999 the country had some semblance of peace for the first time in 50 years. Although I remember in 2000 when the heads of the UN arrived and left in the space of a few hours because they thought the country was too dangerous to stay in.

If any country deserves to prosper then Cambodia is well overdue.
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 7th February 2015 at 01:24 AM.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    A fascinating trip and I love the orchids
    Hope the orchids are still there next January when we pass through

Have enjoyed this photo blog very much as [as stated above] reminded me so much of Singapore in the early 1970s.

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's been a lovely sofa 'trip' - thanks so much to your bro and sis for sharing and you for posting
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oh what a brilliant thread this has been. Really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for all the work you put into it so it could be shared.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi everyone, I glad you all enjoyed the thread & trip!
    It wasn't such a large chore for me (just a bit of time) as I basically only copy/pasted from Bro's blog.
    The over 800 photos in this thread is what took the time. BTW, Ken & Desley took many hundreds more during the trip.
    I'd just like to thank them for helping me spread the eBid logo around another part of the planet, which was & is my main reason for starting these travel threads in the first place. I hope it has some effect here eventually?

To deanosaur - One of my brothers guides was quoting the figure of 5 million killed, but the real number may never be known for sure. Also, they estimate that ordnance clearance will take another 200 years.
    It must be gratifying for you to see (by the photos) that the population is prospering & greatly benefiting from the dangerous work started by you & your compatriots.
    From someone like me, ignorant on that part of the world, and just judging by these photos & what bro has told me, the peoples of both Laos & Cambodia are for the most part, industrious, happy, friendly, well fed, hard working & indeed prospering. Also, there was not too much evidence of begging as everybody seems to be gainfully employed in some fashion.
    That Phnom Penh skyline photo you'll notice a couple of cranes on highrise constructions in the distance.
    Bro says that from their hotel window he counted at least 14, without trouble. Surely that indicates a large level of investment & faith in the countries future. A trouble free future as you said, that is long overdue, & one it appears, will happen soon. I hope so for their sake.
    Bro & Sil also want me to pass on their thanks to you for your involvement here & your efforts on their behalf. It's a pity things didn't gel at that end, but they appreciate the thought.

Last edited by Oldandintheway; 8th February 2015 at 09:10 PM.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

POST SCRIPT - Nude sisters lucky to be only deported!

Recent news item related to Angkor Wat.

I remind everyone that this place is THE most venerated icon in Cambodia!

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...,d.dGY&cad=rja

What were they thinking? Oh I forgot, you need something to think with first.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I wonder how they would feel if someone did that in their church? Such thoughtlessness really makes me very angry

Thread Information