Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watermark detecting fluid

Default Watermark detecting fluid

I have been using Prinz Super Safe watermark detecting fluid for some time, generally with good results. My current bottle is nearly empty so I tried to buy a further supply. Horrors! This product is no longer available said to be due to defects in the bottles in which it is supplied - nothing to do with the liquid itself. Surely the solution (!) would have been to redesign the bottle ?

Anyway, I have found a couple of advertisements for other manufactures of watermark detecting fluid ie Uni Safe and Clarity. However, these seem to be only available from the US or Canada, with high postage costs being quoted.

I would be interested in members comments in regard to (1) are there any supplies of Prinz Super Safe still out there, and (2) whether the other products I mentioned above work well and, if so, can they be acquired in the UK?

a great 2015 to all

Ray

Default Re: Watermark detecting fluid

I dont know for sure but isn't there a "box of tricks" that works with different filters within the "light box" to show the water mark, It also shows if the stamp is thined ect

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think that Somer is refering to the Morley-Bright system which might be a suitable alternative.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    I think that Somer is refering to the Morley-Bright system which might be a suitable alternative.
    Thanks for your replies re the Morley-Bright system. I used to use one of these before I started using the watermark fluid. After rummaging around in my desk I found the M-B tool but needed to obtain a replacement ink sachet as my original sachet was dried up. Guess what .... the Morley-Bright system is no longer manufactured because the maker of the glass slab used in the tool no longer supplies them! I will check around a few philatelic accessories shops next time I am in London to see if anyone has any replacement ink sachets in stock, and also check for supplies on the internet.

There are also the expensive electric watermark detectors around, but they are too expensive for my needs !
    Thanks again and best wishes to all

Ray

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14452)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lighter fluid works just as well as watermark fluid at a fraction of the cost, just make sure the area is well vented and give the stamps a little extra time to dry out. I used to use an electric watermark detector but it corroded inside and was unrepairable according to Gibbons, who now want £80 or more for one!
    I think you may have problems trying to import fluid from the USA too with tighter Customs regulations nowadays.
    If you really still want Prinz fluid , PM me as I have a trade account with them and may be able to supply.

All the best,
    John

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31263)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDStamps View Post
    Lighter fluid works just as well as watermark fluid at a fraction of the cost, just make sure the area is well vented and give the stamps a little extra time to dry out. I used to use an electric watermark detector but it corroded inside and was unrepairable according to Gibbons, who now want £80 or more for one!
    I think you may have problems trying to import fluid from the USA too with tighter Customs regulations nowadays.
    If you really still want Prinz fluid , PM me as I have a trade account with them and may be able to supply.

All the best,
    John
    I seem to remember that the liquid was pentane and or hexane before self-adhesive stamps.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thank you both John and Bill

I think I will pursue other means of detection before using lighter fluid ! I suspect John is correct re customs regs - I would need to check with the online sellers if they are aware of this and if they have the all-clear to export to the UK.

John - according to Prinz website the fluid is no longer listed for sale, but it might be worthwhile an approach to them. I will email you shortly.

Ray

Forum Newbie
    View Clanstamps's Feedback (+8633)
    All-About Clanstamps
    View Clanstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondwatkins View Post
    Thank you both John and Bill

I think I will pursue other means of detection before using lighter fluid ! I suspect John is correct re customs regs - I would need to check with the online sellers if they are aware of this and if they have the all-clear to export to the UK.

John - according to Prinz website the fluid is no longer listed for sale, but it might be worthwhile an approach to them. I will email you shortly.

Ray
    Hi, I believe the original fluid provided by Stanley Gibbons for watermark detection was called Benzine I dont know whether this is readly available at retail outlets. Over the years, possibly 60, I have tried most types of devices availabe at a reasonable price including 'Philatector' which is basically a plastic light box with coloured filters and Morley bright with no real success. I have for years now used lighter fuel which does not discolour the stamp and has no effect on the gum when using on mint stamps. It would appear to be a very similar product to Benzine. Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Clanstamps View Post
    Hi, I believe the original fluid provided by Stanley Gibbons for watermark detection was called Benzine I dont know whether this is readly available at retail outlets. Over the years, possibly 60, I have tried most types of devices availabe at a reasonable price including 'Philatector' which is basically a plastic light box with coloured filters and Morley bright with no real success. I have for years now used lighter fuel which does not discolour the stamp and has no effect on the gum when using on mint stamps. It would appear to be a very similar product to Benzine. Hugh
    Thanks Hugh

Lighter fluid might be the next thing for me to try!

Ray

Hugh

I am now down to my last few drops of the wmk fluid I have been using, so now want to explore using lighter fuel. Is there any particular brand that you use?

thanks

Ray

Thread Information