TOMMY

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: about time

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    I'll do my best.
    I'd rather have the Conservatives than Labour; particularly Labour controlled by the SNP.

The rise of the SNP is likely bad timing for UKIP. Many may feel like me and not, as they had intended, vote UKIP but vote Conservative from dread of Labour+SNP getting in. I still plan to vote for the party that best reflects my desires for the future of this country.

My guess is that DC is no longer as big a fan of the 'First Past The Post' system as he was.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I'd rather have the Conservatives than Labour; particularly Labour controlled by the SNP.

The rise of the SNP is likely bad timing for UKIP. Many may feel like me and not, as they had intended, vote UKIP but vote Conservative from dread of Labour+SNP getting in. I still plan to vote for the party that best reflects my desires for the future of this country.

My guess is that DC is no longer as big a fan of the 'First Past The Post' system as he was.
    I'd rather have Labour than Conservative.
    What happened to "Better Together" which was pushed by Tories and LibDems during the Scottish Independence Referendum. Surely, in that case, if we are better together the Scots are entitled to elect whoever they like as MPs, who can then vote as they deem appropriate in Parliament.

How times have changed! When I left Wales to work in Essex where I still live, I used to get sarcastic comments from others that there would be a Conservative Government were it not for the "Celtic Fringe" .I used to counteract with "it's only the English who change their minds every few years, depending upon what sweeties are on offer!" - and the SNP were regarded as "Tartan Tories" (and do not forget that "Tory" is the Gaelic word for a bandit!)

Now the SNP seems to have swung left and the "bandits" are afraid of their power. So-called "New Labour"...the Westminster Left, which is the Right Wing of my childhood , stands confused...and why? Because the vast majority of this UK of ours is politically ignorant.

This is not a football match...it is much more serious. The major problem is that had we gone to P.R. many years ago the Tories would have been sunk without trace. Dissension has resulted in a situation which was their great fear years ago....this election will be a natural P.R., ironically very close to many European models! Dream on the right wing! I am so glad I am too old really to care any longer!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I used to counteract with "it's only the English who change their minds every few years, depending upon what sweeties are on offer!"
    More to do with a short memory by most Brits. While Labour are out of power people forget how bad things got the last time they were in power. Having to clear up Labour's mess each time wins the Conservatives no fans, so people looking back through rose-tinted glasses vote Labour back in to screw everything up again. And so it goes on - around, and around, and around......

Trust Labour with the country's finances again? I wouldn't trust them with my niece's pocket money.
    Last edited by astral276; 18th April 2015 at 01:57 AM.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    ...and the SNP were regarded as "Tartan Tories"...
    I'd be interested to hear an English/Welsh take on the whole tartan Tory thing. What's your understanding of it? In Scotland it almost always originates from Labour and to a lesser extent LibDem.

Amazing to think that a single vote 35 years ago is still used as the basis of an argument on who to vote for today. They never talk about why that vote came about in the first place. What it does best nowadays, I always think, is demonstrate the sheer sense of entitlement that Labour seems to have regarding its right to govern in Scotland. It seems to forget that only 25 years earlier Scotland's political map was just as blue as anywhere else. Indeed, in 1955 Anthony Eden only managed to get the Conservatives into power (after losing to Labour) as a result of an alliance with the Scottish Unionists.

Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View brian64's Feedback (+125)
    All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

I will be voting Labour this time round.The Conservatives have lots of polices i agree with but i can't vote for a party that will hit the the most vulnerable in our society the sick and the disabled with cuts to Welfare and Social services whilst giving tax cuts to the Rich.I support the cuts to benefits for those fit to work and are just idle but not to those who are genuinely sick and disabled and i am aware that Labour will have to make cuts too but i believe they will do it more fairly

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian64 View Post
    I will be voting Labour this time round.The Conservatives have lots of polices i agree with but i can't vote for a party that will hit the the most vulnerable in our society the sick and the disabled with cuts to Welfare and Social services whilst giving tax cuts to the Rich.I support the cuts to benefits for those fit to work and are just idle but not to those who are genuinely sick and disabled and i am aware that Labour will have to make cuts too but i believe they will do it more fairly
    Not only will Labour make cuts more fairly but the cuts will be smaller because Labour are not afraid to tax high incomes. I believe they will also do more to close the loopholes which allow multinationals and others "export" their profits to offshore tax havens.
    Labour will also stop (or reduce considerably) the selling off of the NHS to organisations whose prime interest is profit. Remember what happened when Circle found that they could not make enough profit out of Hinchenbrook Hospital so unllaterally withdrew from the contract. There will be more of this if TTIP is introduced.

Thread Information