Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: double listings saga again!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: double listings saga again!

I use Gazza's last option (repost and delete). So far, touch wood, I have not had any problems. I hope this hasn't put the curse on me.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    You can repost a closed listing as many times as you like (as long as you follow our duplicate listing rules)

We added specific information about a closed listing's reposted status on the closed listing details page as some users were losing track of what they had and had not reposted. This has helped answer quite a few questions since it was added.

Some users user mass repost (checkboxes in "Listings I Ran" section) together with the delete option to remove any reposted listings from their "Listings I Ran" section.

Gazza

Gazza there are instances where there has been a system glitch which has caused this. I bulk repost only so it blanks out the bulk repost when completed once.

Whilst I haven't had this 'glitch' for ages, when it did happen there were more sellers than just me affected - all from exactly the same time period. I know this because I did a track on other sellers listings from the same time as my duplicates and found a similar situation for every seller who did a repost at that time. It took me a good hour of time to notify the other sellers so they could get rid of their duplicates.

The other week there was an instance along the same lines - I bulk reposted 50 listings - deleted, confirmed that they had been deleted by checking the total in the 'listings I ran - unsold' section. 2 hours later those deleted were back in my listings I ran section where they could have been reposted again via bulk. I left it until morning - and by morning they had gone again. But if I had reposted again on the bounce back then I would have had duplicates and so would anyone else who did that at that time.

In the instance where many sellers were affected (probably a couple of years ago) I did contact support with a very detailed account of what had happened - because it would have been real easy for you to see the glitch, and it corresponded with some eBid updates around the same time. The reply I received from support made me think I had sent the information to Mcdonald's.

(I will add that I think in the majority of cases where it is individual listings it is probably is user error - but having seen this glitch happen with a bulk repost then I have a good deal of sympathy for other sellers when it occurs.)
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 13th March 2015 at 04:26 PM.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We've investigated the problem very deeply a few times now and we were not able to find any evidence of a system fault. If we had we could have fixed what we found. But as nothing was found we couldn't make any fixes.

We added the information on Closed Listing details pages about when and how the listing was reposted to help sellers understand when and how they reposted.

We will bend over backwards to fix any bugs that we can find but until that happens we can only assume it is human error.

Probably not what you want to hear but my hands are tied.

If you can give me specific listing IDs of duplicated listings that you are 100% sure were deleted from your "Listings I Ran" section and then reappeared again we will take a look straight away.

Gazza
    Last edited by gazza; 13th March 2015 at 08:40 PM.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    We've investigated the problem very deeply a few times now and we were not able to find any evidence of a system fault. If we had we could have fixed what we found. But as nothing was found we couldn't make any fixes.

We added the information on Closed Listing details pages about when and how the listing was reposted to help sellers understand when and how they reposted.

We will bend over backwards to fix any bugs that we can find but until that happens we can only assume it is human error.

Probably not what you want to hear but my hands are tied.

If you can give me specific listing IDs of duplicated listings that you are 100% sure were deleted from your "Listings I Ran" section and then reappeared again we will take a look straight away.

Gazza
    If I come across it again (3 times in 3 years, so don't hold your breath) then I will endeavour to send it through again.

That one time when I sent through the information it could not have been more clearer that it was a system glitch and it was within 2 days of the glitch - so easy to track - I had the time details of the glitch and subsequent duplicates, other sellers that were affected at exactly the same time with the same time difference between the duplicate listings etc.. The response I got was... (I am not even going to put it on here but it certainly was not investigated - that was very clear). What annoyed me most was the time lost discovering all the info to make it easy for support to see the problem and tracking down other sellers who were in the dark about their duplicate listings.

That was a missed opportunity because it was obvious. There is a problem - once in a blue moon it happens, but it is a problem.

So when I saw the bounce back of deleted items a few weeks ago - because of the above I would never of thought to have reported it and waste more of my time, it didn't affect me because I noticed it. Next morning the bounce back had corrected itself - and just in case I did an export and check, but if anyone had done a bulk repost before the glitch and then another one during the bounce back then they would have had duplicate listings.

Now I am wasting more time on this subject - back to listing.

Forum Lurker tkauctionworldwide's Avatar
    Rhondda Cynon Taf S. Wales, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View tkauctionworldwide's Feedback (+2593)
    All-About tkauctionworldwide
    View tkauctionworldwide's Listings
    Forum Posts

This thread brings back bad memories. I was one of the sellers who used to experience the problem on a regular basis.
    Had the problem a few years ago on both IE & F/F

Touch wood I have not had the problem for a while or just bot noticed..

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looks like an intermittant fault that could lead to neg/neutral feedback for sellers who sell one of these duplicate listings, so far ive been lucky as i have not received such feedback for this problem.

I bulk relist then i go and delete what i have just relisted. So in theory these listing should not come up for relisting until they have gone throught their listing cycle. for now im leaving my items on run till sold.

To Annie thank you very much for your advice re locating the duplicates this is far easier than downloading a spreadsheet!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post

To Annie thank you very much for your advice re locating the duplicates this is far easier than downloading a spreadsheet!
    Glad to be of help

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I always repost & delete all in one go - so there should be no deletion and no relisting of sold items but, this morning I'm involved in a huge stock check to find a missing item. I remember selling it some time ago - mostly I do not remember which knitting patterns I've sold but this one is illustrated in red & green and I thought the colourway vile - 135517180 is the item number.

It HAS happened to me before. It happened when I was in Canada and specifically NOT relisting items as they expired.

Fortunately, I have a very similar pattern which I shall send, free to the buyer which should solve the problem this time but I still believe there has been a problem and, if one item has sold and the other remains relisted, a stock check against listings is the only way to go. With 4000 listings on each account this is no minor task!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I have it set to send an email each time they close and when I re list, I then double check as I relist, then go back and double check as I delete them and then delete the emails in pairs, but I still managed to get a double a few days ago.
    Luckily I dont have many so its not a problem for me, I dont think I would be able to cope with thousands of listings.

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zaranvalesasterix View Post
    I have it set to send an email each time they close and when I re list, I then double check as I relist, then go back and double check as I delete them and then delete the emails in pairs, but I still managed to get a double a few days ago.
    Luckily I dont have many so its not a problem for me, I dont think I would be able to cope with thousands of listings.
    Wouldn't it be easier not to let them close, you can do this by resetting the repost count to 10 with a single Bulk Edit before they are due to close? Its seems an awful lot of work letting them close then manually relisting them.

Thread Information