eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

I wouldn't think we'd need a vote, but I don't honestly know, guess that's up to you as the head to decide, (now aren't you glad you accepted this position, LOL)!

I was just using the vote thing as a figure of speech, like 2 thumbs up.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    I wouldn't think we'd need a vote, but I don't honestly know, guess that's up to you as the head to decide, (now aren't you glad you accepted this position, LOL)!

I was just using the vote thing as a figure of speech, like 2 thumbs up.

Got it! Thanks!
    Last edited by hurryb4itsgone; 29th March 2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Ahh ... I think I see now. You are saying that we add OO in the title as a suggestion or recommendation for those that want to opt out. Do I have that right?

Yes, just an idea, I'm sure peeps wouldn't mind putting OO in the title to help you out if they don't want to be in the competition bit and it will save you having to alter the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Yes, just an idea, I'm sure peeps wouldn't mind putting OO in the title to help you out if they don't want to be in the competition bit and it will save you having to alter the rules.
    Hmm ... maybe add a "Requests and Recommendations" section to the rules with a blurb about adding OO to title?

Could also move the bit about not having to support the nominated charity and offering listings to other countries into this section, since they are not rules either.

Since this does not require a rule change, does it need a vote?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Hmm ... maybe add a "Requests and Recommendations" section to the rules with a blurb about adding OO to title?

Could also move the bit about not having to support the nominated charity and offering listings to other countries into this section, since they are not rules either.

Since this does not require a rule change, does it need a vote?
    I wouldn't think so.

Go for it Hurry, you're the boss !

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Go for it Hurry, you're the boss !
    Boss, huh?

Did I get a promotion I didn't know about?

Will give the wording, format, etc some thought and will post what I come up with to this thread.

I feel I can now add again to this thread as the YDC130 is over

I did not use the full wording in the auction. I did not have the exact phrase correct
    This is what I put "

This is a YDC130 charity auction
    All monies raised will go to this months nominated charity which is Janet's Trust. More details on Janet's trust can be found here:

http://uk.ebid.net/users/cheaver"
    I missed the words "This is an entry into"
    Now, although this was a genuine mistake, I still felt as though my listing was still within the spirit of YDC, however was outside the rules regards being an entry.
    In the end it didn't matter as I did not win as Cheavers auction won (unless there is 1 single mistake in the listing,to abide with the YDC)
    No I am not saying that if there is a single mistake or an oversight in a YDC listing it should be disqualified, but feel the main thing to be taken into account is the spirit of YDC
    If the rules are to be enforced, then they need to be enforced correctly.
    I just think that the wording doesn't need to have the words "This is an entry into" for it to be obvious that the item is a YDC listing.

As long as the people bidding see the following who cares if words are missing.
    YDC# in title
    YDC in description, and see where the money will be going

I just think the rules need a little tweak to make it say that you make it clear that the auction is a YDC auction and money made from the auction will go to XYZ, but allow sellers listing for YDC to use their own wording.

Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View brian64's Feedback (+125)
    All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

In my opinion for what it's worth i think you shouldn't have to put the words This is an entry into to enter the competition as too many people forget to do so and as a result they loose the opportunity to nominate the Charity for the next auction and it's an opportunity that doesn't come round often for most so it is a big loss for such a small mistake.
    I think every listing should be considered an entry to the competition so long as they have YCD in the auction title and a named Charity in their listing.
    OO in the title is a good idea as it makes it clear the listing is not a completion entry and if someone who wins the competition forgets to put it in and doesn't want to host or nominate the next YCD then there is no loss to them and the offer can be made to the runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    I feel I can now add again to this thread as the YDC130 is over

I did not use the full wording in the auction. I did not have the exact phrase correct
    This is what I put "

This is a YDC130 charity auction
    All monies raised will go to this months nominated charity which is Janet's Trust. More details on Janet's trust can be found here:

http://uk.ebid.net/users/cheaver"
    I missed the words "This is an entry into"
    Now, although this was a genuine mistake, I still felt as though my listing was still within the spirit of YDC, however was outside the rules regards being an entry.
    In the end it didn't matter as I did not win as Cheavers auction won (unless there is 1 single mistake in the listing,to abide with the YDC)
    No I am not saying that if there is a single mistake or an oversight in a YDC listing it should be disqualified, but feel the main thing to be taken into account is the spirit of YDC
    If the rules are to be enforced, then they need to be enforced correctly.
    I just think that the wording doesn't need to have the words "This is an entry into" for it to be obvious that the item is a YDC listing.

As long as the people bidding see the following who cares if words are missing.
    YDC# in title
    YDC in description, and see where the money will be going

I just think the rules need a little tweak to make it say that you make it clear that the auction is a YDC auction and money made from the auction will go to XYZ, but allow sellers listing for YDC to use their own wording.

Quote Originally Posted by brian64 View Post
    In my opinion for what it's worth i think you shouldn't have to put the words This is an entry into to enter the competition as too many people forget to do so and as a result they loose the opportunity to nominate the Charity for the next auction and it's an opportunity that doesn't come round often for most so it is a big loss for such a small mistake.
    I think every listing should be considered an entry to the competition so long as they have YCD in the auction title and a named Charity in their listing.
    OO in the title is a good idea as it makes it clear the listing is not a completion entry and if someone who wins the competition forgets to put it in and doesn't want to host or nominate the next YCD then there is no loss to them and the offer can be made to the runner up.

Allow me to preface my response to your posts with two things you may not know about me.

First, regardless of how I respond to a post, suggestion, comment, etc I do make every effort to give it careful consideration and attempt to see it from the writer or speaker's point of view. I don't always succeed, but I do try.

Secondly, my perspective may be slightly skewed because of the years in my professional life spent writing, interpreting and implementing rules, regulations and laws.

That being said, here is my humble opinion on the matter:

The "spirit" of YDC, as indicated in the rules, is not unilateral. It has at least two facets. One is to raise as much money as possible for charity. The second is a competitive component.

My original question was about the competitive component of the "spirit".

The words missed in many listings is not "This is an entry", but "this is an entry in the YDC nn charity auction competition.

As the rules are currently written and I understand them, the competition component is optional and not mandatory for any listing in the YDC event. Every listing must be for charity or a worthy cause. Every listing does not need to be an entry in the competition.

Not quite sure what is meant by "If the rules are to be enforced, then they need to be enforced correctly." What would be an example of incorrectly enforcing the rules?

In the US if someone does not like a rule, regulation or law they have 3 options:
    1. To work around it. This may be why there are so many lawyers in the US. No offence to lawyers intended.
    2. To break it and take the consequences.
    3. To work to change it more to their liking.

I have no problem with the current YDC rules. I do, however, think they could be formatted in such a way to make each component of YDC clearer and as a consequence more easily implemented. That was my thinking behind post #34 & 37.

Thread Information