Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

Default Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

In my spare time, between nicking a tick or two and spreading the word about YDC, I have been reading old YDC forum threads. The thought was this would give me a better sense of the evolution of YDC from then until now and perhaps help me in this position.

Now I have a bit of a headache and more questions than answers. Name:  headache.gif
Views: 110
Size:  3.4 KB

Here is my first question. Well, actually it's a series of questions! Name:  question-mark-smiley-emoticon.gif
Views: 108
Size:  20.6 KB

The current YDC auction competition rules state:
    Your auction(s) must be for a charity or good cause and the description of your item must include the following text:
    This auction is an entry in the YDC nn charity auction competition. All money raised by this auction will go to:charity name.

Upon further inspection of the current listings, I noticed that many do not have this exact text within the description.

What if the item raising the most money does not state these exact words?

Do they still win?

If they still win,does that mean we do not enforce the rules?

If these words are not in the listing does that mean they do not want the chance to choose the next nominated charity?

If the exact wording is not mandatory, does it make sense to change the rules?

Are there other questions I should be raising on this subject?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    Last edited by hurryb4itsgone; 29th March 2015 at 05:17 PM.

Default Re: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

If memory serves me correct, this has come up before, and the outcome seemed to be that as long as the title had YDC (number) and description was obvious that it was for the YDC then that auction would be OK to win. I seem to recall that the wording did not have to be word perfect to be within the spirit of YDC

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

You are the new administrator hurry so what are your thoughts, ideas and suggestions before I send you a detailed reply?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    If memory serves me correct, this has come up before, and the outcome seemed to be that as long as the title had YDC (number) and description was obvious that it was for the YDC then that auction would be OK to win. I seem to recall that the wording did not have to be word perfect to be within the spirit of YDC
    This makes a lot of sense to me.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You are the new administrator hurry so what are your thoughts, ideas and suggestions before I send you a detailed reply?
    Hey Gill, thanks for asking. As they say in the south, "it really makes me no never mind."

I can go either way. But that being said, if the wording is not mandatory, I think it should not be part of the rules. Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by hurryb4itsgone; 29th March 2015 at 05:18 PM.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Hey Gill, thanks for asking. As they say in the south, "it really makes me no never mind."

I can go either way. But that being said, if the wording is not mandatory, I think it should not be part of the rules. Just my humble opinion.
    I agree with you. Maybe amending it to something like Raindropsies said, making YDC and the number mandatory in the title and mention of the charity in the description would be a good idea rather than requiring specific wording.

Funny thing, I never noticed that about the wording in the rules; I guess I don't read as well as I thought I did.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to answer your own question that was asked in post #1.

I would like to see you come up with your own ideas of what should happen to bring YDC into the 21st Century, if you have any of course.

Should wording be mandatory? If the wording was mandatory and all auctions started at £1 or international equivalent would they be shown on GS if a BuyNow was also shown? By doing this would it add to the auction total by getting a non-member buy because what they want has been listed?

YDC stands for Your Donation Counts - it doesn't stand for you can't BuyNow.

Should postage costs be the responsibility of the seller or should 'postage will be deducted from payment received' in the listing.

I think I'll go now before I get kicked off eBid for speaking my mind!
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

The reason for having that line in the description was (again if memory serves me correct) was to stop people listing in YDC and not passing the money on, however, I have never known it to be an issue since I joined eBid and the YDC auctions and that is over 7 (maybe 8) years ago.

TBH I would think that Shezz would be able to give you the most info as to why that line was supposed to be within the auctions, I only organised them for a short while and the only change that happened during my organisation was it being changed to 4 days starting on 24th as people felt that 7 days was too long and with some months there would only be a break of 10 days between 1 ending and 1 starting as they always used to start on the last (forget what day) of the month

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

In my short time with YDC I've seen that rule being flexible when a long-standing regular had a senior moment and forgot to add the info about the competition, which is fine. Some of the YDCers are of an age when senior moments are more common, including myself there

Not everyone has the time or for other reasons wants nominate a charity and host the next YDC so I think we do need the wording for the competition, or it would be chaos for you Hurry, trying to find out who wins, as the seller who raised the most may be one of those who doesn't want to nominate and host, the second and third highest may not either.

However, I'm not sure it needs to be those exact words (I have copied and posted into my listings, but that's just me) providing the word competition is in the description.

It might be an idea to remind everyone who wants to be part of the competition to include the info in their listings in the monthly YDC announcement thread.

Honest, reliable seller looking for honest, reliable buyers.

Emmily's Pin Badges
    New and used pin badges

NAWT Charity Store
    Take a minute to take a look

End of the Rainbow
    Will you find treasure at the end of the rainbow.
    Cuddly puppies and kittens now available.

YDC Charity Auctions

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it would easier to say -

'if you don't want your listing to be an entry in the competition element start it at £1'.
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Thread Information