Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance

Default Car Insurance

Due to the untimely demise of my previous vehicle I needed another. Got one last week but managed to nurse the old one to the end of the month rather than paying a months tax for a few days. Used the comparison sites and while doing so on Compare the market (kids want a Meerkat) I got a reasonable quote for fully comprehensive, then had a look at third party, then refreshed the fully comprehensive quote to buy it. The results were:

9.43 am Fully Comprehensive - £268.53
    9.46 am Third Party - £366.97
    9.46 am Fully Comprehensive - £335.66

So Third Party was almost £100 more than Fully Comprehensive, then the Fully Comprehensive increased in price by over £67 in 3 minutes for the same insurer!

Forget the Meerkat, went to Confused.com and got insured for £267.96 and got a talking Brian robot, which might end up getting listed.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Car Insurance

Maybe you could swap Brian for a meerkat

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can't stand those comparison sites (some of which are reported to have iffy practices). Every insure has their own few stupid questions, so to get quotes the comparison site has to ask you every stupid question from all of them. Like I was asked if my house was within 400m of a water course - with no indication of their definition of a 'water course' (have a disused canal and an underground river nearby) or how I was supposed to measure it and to what accuracy.

I tend to use 3 insurance companies and rotate amongst them each year for the best price.Beyond that I don't find the savings worth the hassle of dragging my sorry a* around loads of companies. Mind you... I would pass out if I got quotes as high as yours.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I tend to use 3 insurance companies and rotate amongst them each year for the best price.Beyond that I don't find the savings worth the hassle of dragging my sorry a* around loads of companies. Mind you... I would pass out if I got quotes as high as yours.
    I rotate like you do Mel. This year's choice (mid March) was PO @ £134.91 (Fully comp; Protected NCB; + Key Card insurance ~ with a failure to price match refund of £42.92) = total cost for the year ~ £91.99.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

We're with Admiral and have their 2 car policy - and pay roughly what Kreative was quoted for fully comp !

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

i have commercial insurance just shy of a grand a year mainly cos its london
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's a good idea to compare the comparison sites.
    Martin's Money tips is also good, and comparatively independent.

When you get a renewel notice from your insurance company, it can be quite profitable to go online and get a new quote from them. I once saved about 30% by doing that. Same car, same details, same company.

My actual renewal quote was £537.18. That was with eSure, the policy I took out for £268.53 was with...eSure. So eSure can pay the comparison site commission but cannot undercut themselves. I did phone them to see if they could do better than the renewal and they could do it for around the £400 mark. When I pointed out that I had a quote for eSure for way less they said that those were deals negotiated with the site and not available direct from the company!

PS. The second cheapest quotes I had were for Sheila's Wheels. Pretty sure I ticked the box that said male, but maybe I didn't.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    My actual renewal quote was £537.18. That was with eSure, the policy I took out for £268.53 was with...eSure. So eSure can pay the comparison site commission but cannot undercut themselves. I did phone them to see if they could do better than the renewal and they could do it for around the £400 mark. When I pointed out that I had a quote for eSure for way less they said that those were deals negotiated with the site and not available direct from the company!

PS. The second cheapest quotes I had were for Sheila's Wheels. Pretty sure I ticked the box that said male, but maybe I didn't.
    Insurers will no longer be able to charge different premiums to men and women because of their gender following a ruling by the European Court of Justice (ECJ).The industry was given time to prepare for the change, but the changes have now come into effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12608777

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    Insurers will no longer be able to charge different premiums to men and women because of their gender following a ruling by the European Court of Justice (ECJ).The industry was given time to prepare for the change, but the changes have now come into effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12608777
    Not seen an ad for them for a while, but I would presume they still target the female population more than the male. As for price the wife was with them a few years back (before she was actually my wife), mainly because they offered a better deal for women. When her insurance was due up I managed to half it with a general insurer. Oh the power of advertising.

Thread Information