My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Stamp Collecting Nostalgia

Default Stamp Collecting Nostalgia

How many members remember going into shops like F W Woolworth as a child and buying packets of "Ace" stamps? You could buy 6d (old money = 2.5p decimal currency) packets of one country stamps or thematic packets. Seeing these packets affixed to a display card started off my interest in collecting stamps when I was about 10 years old.

I was reminded of this recently when I acquired a parcel of stamp material and amongst the items was a shop stamp display card with three packets of stamps still affixed to it.The header on the card was "Teegee Postage Stamps for Collectors" and the stamp packets each comprised a used set of the Great Britain "Centenary of First Postage Stamps 1840 - 1940" stamps (ie SG479 / 484). Each packet sold for 1s3d old money (ie 6.25p decimal currency). The display card was further endorsed "War Economy Packet".

Although I remember "Ace" packets of stamps, I do not recall "Teegee" packets, and I suspect that the additional wording of "War Economy Packet" on the card indicates that the stamps were sold during wartime - before I was born.

Are there any members that do recall "Teegee" stamps" ?

Ray

Default Re: Stamp Collecting Nostalgia

I forgot to attach an image of the card to my earlier message. Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Stamp Collecting Nostalgia

"War economy standard" and similar imprints were in use into the 50s. The fact that the war was over did not put things back to normal for some years...in another thread (about childhood) recently I mentioned that I could remember my first choc ice and my first banana - and that was 1951!

I remember "Ace" but first met them in about 1948. Teegee I never saw at all.

Thread Information