eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what sells here and what doesn't

Forum Newbie
    All-About GadgetStuff
    View GadgetStuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Tell me what sells here and what doesn't

I tried this site a few years ago and didn't sell anything. I'm taking a second look now that I've started a new business that's successful on Amazon and eBay. I only want to sell things on here that I don't need to market or advertise outside of the site. If I have to bring my own traffic here, I'm not going to bother.

1. Does this site do anything to bring traffic on its own, or does it rely on its sellers to bring traffic?
    2. If the site is bringing traffic to the site (other than more sellers), what types of items are the buyers interested in? Only collectibles? What about electronics, home & garden, small appliances, etc?
    3. Why would a buyer come here instead of eBay? Are only eBay-banned buyers coming here? How does the buyer find out about this site?

Thanks.

Default Re: Tell me what sells here and what doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetStuff View Post
    I tried this site a few years ago and didn't sell anything. I'm taking a second look now that I've started a new business that's successful on Amazon and eBay. I only want to sell things on here that I don't need to market or advertise outside of the site. If I have to bring my own traffic here, I'm not going to bother.

1. Does this site do anything to bring traffic on its own, or does it rely on its sellers to bring traffic?
    2. If the site is bringing traffic to the site (other than more sellers), what types of items are the buyers interested in? Only collectibles? What about electronics, home & garden, small appliances, etc?
    3. Why would a buyer come here instead of eBay? Are only eBay-banned buyers coming here? How does the buyer find out about this site?

Thanks.
    The only thing I can say is that if you don't want to have to work at selling your items, this is not the place to be.

ebid will upload your listings to google shopping but you must make sure they are compliant to google to be uploaded.
    You will be told that you should market yourself on social media sites. (Facebook,Pintrest,Twitter) to name a few.

Others will also tell you that if you don't want to put in the work here to sell, then don't complain when you sell nothing.

What Haley said. It sounds like this is not the site for you.

Forum Newbie
    All-About GadgetStuff
    View GadgetStuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    You will be told that you should market yourself on social media sites. (Facebook,Pintrest,Twitter) to name a few.
    Thanks for your honesty. If I have to put in work and time advertising my listings, I'm going to do it to boost traffic to my own website, not to help boost eBid's traffic and then pay eBid's seller fees. Goodbye, once again, everybody!!

Forum Newbie
    View LVS88's Feedback (+1)
    All-About LVS88
    View LVS88's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't know what sells as I just can't see anything with any bids on. I bought a book off here some weeks ago, and that's the only thing I've personally seen sell. Years ago I checked ebid out and couldn't see anything with bids on back then. Recently I looked and mistakenly thought there were now lots of things selling with bids on because on the listings the price is shown in green with the word: 'Bid' above it, creating the immediate impression it has turned green because someone has placed a bid. I feel a bit duped by this but doubt I'm the only one.

Something else that puzzles me on the same listings page are the 'Views.' Without naming an example I'm looking at a book by one of the most popular authors in the world and under 'Views' it shows 97. The book is only a few pounds including the postage and could hardly get any cheaper, so why then hasn't anyone out of the high number of people placed a bid on it?

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LVS88 View Post

Something else that puzzles me on the same listings page are the 'Views.' Without naming an example I'm looking at a book by one of the most popular authors in the world and under 'Views' it shows 97. The book is only a few pounds including the postage and could hardly get any cheaper, so why then hasn't anyone out of the high number of people placed a bid on it?
    That is SUCH a good question. Discovering the answer would be like alchemy! I experience the same on my own items, but I often get sales eventually. I suspect it is a confidence thing on the part of the buyer. Feebay and Amazon are such household names and everyone has used them at some point. Rightly or wrongly, buyers trust them. Ebid, being the underdog may inspire less confidence, perhaps a fear of the unknown. It doesn't stop people browsing, but there are usually many more browsers in relation to eventual sales.You seem to need more views here and wait a bit longer before one of the browsers hits the buy button.

There is a discussion on another thread in website suggestions at the moment about how to inspire more confidence from buyers. Some good points are being made. For instance, eBid is good at weeding out fakes and scammers. perhaps they should shout about it a bit more.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RameRetro View Post
    That is SUCH a good question. Discovering the answer would be like alchemy! I experience the same on my own items, but I often get sales eventually. I suspect it is a confidence thing on the part of the buyer. Feebay and Amazon are such household names and everyone has used them at some point. Rightly or wrongly, buyers trust them. Ebid, being the underdog may inspire less confidence, perhaps a fear of the unknown. It doesn't stop people browsing, but there are usually many more browsers in relation to eventual sales.You seem to need more views here and wait a bit longer before one of the browsers hits the buy button.

There is a discussion on another thread in website suggestions at the moment about how to inspire more confidence from buyers. Some good points are being made. For instance, eBid is good at weeding out fakes and scammers. perhaps they should shout about it a bit more.

confidence your joking right, did my buyers who were all brand new to ebid suffer confidence?

ebid might weed out SOME scammers say in the electronics market, but tell me how could ebid root out say a piece of furniture made up, and sold as a genuine antique ? they cant nor can any site, imagine advertising a site as scammer and fake proof only to find when a buyer does buy something its a fake,

theres very little policing you can do before the event , so you cant advertise ebid for weeding out fakes , nor does feebay ,what they advertise as buyer protection is a myth , sure they will give you your money back, but thats after the event it does not offer protection from the act, it offers compensation in the form of your own money. the same buyer compensation is available on ebid through the payment system and the D S Ls
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post

ebid might weed out SOME scammers say in the electronics market, but tell me how could ebid root out say a piece of furniture made up, and sold as a genuine antique ? they cant nor can any site, imagine advertising a site as scammer and fake proof only to find when a buyer does buy something its a fake,

theres very little policing you can do before the event , so you cant advertise ebid for weeding out fakes , nor does feebay ,what they advertise as buyer protection is a myth , sure they will give you your money back, but thats after the event it does not offer protection from the act, it offers compensation in the form of your own money. the same buyer compensation is available on ebid through the payment system and the D S Ls
    These are valid points. I am merely scratching around for a USP that could be attributed to eBid. eBid IS different to Feebay, but how do you sum it up in a sentence (or two)?

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

....eBid IS different to Feebay, but how do you sum it up in a sentence (or two)?
    eBid operates within the law. Feebay is a law unto itself.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

These are valid points. I am merely scratching around for a USP that could be attributed to eBid. eBid IS different to Feebay, but how do you sum it up in a sentence (or two)?
    you cant sum up the differences in two sentences

you will never attract the amount of buyers you and others want, till the diversity of the site expands, thats not down to ebid,

you need sellers who have a business plan, who understand when they first read the TCs EBID IS A PLATFORM they dont guarantee you as a seller anything. ABOVE anything else is what you sell that attracts a buyer not were you sell , what we dont need is sellers who come here and list identical items across the internet, it does not work unless your selling cans of beans, these same sellers are the ones who come on the forum and complain they have no sales and give up after two weeks , when looked into they compete against themselves they offer no incentive for buyers to look around let alone join up here, there is no limitless supply of buyers across the internet which these sellers seem to think there is, " oh il join joe blogs site and tap an extra few hundred thousand buyers" there living in a dream world! its the same buyers across sites , if they dont want to pay the fees on feebay which is the most common reason why they leave why leave the same stock there and put a copy of it here, theres no incentive for buyers to look let alone move, the truth of this is shown by the sellers who do exactly this achieve nothing here, have a rant on the forum and go back to high fees, and a culture of driving prices down rather than operating in a competitive market, giving these people the term seller is some what over rated, mention a business plan they look puzzled and confused, there more like teenagers leaving the nest for the first time, dont like what they see and go running back home after two weeks, you want to change things your efforts would be well spent educating the teenbayers
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information