Thread: Increase in no-payers?

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Increase in no-payers?

I sell mainly books and have loads of items listed already with additions almost daily. sales have, to be honest, been fairly poor but selling a few titles every month at least makes the relisting button a worthwhile exercise.

I've noticed a lot of new bidders coming to the site (the fact they have 0 or low feedback would indicate this) which is great news, and I hope the trend continues. But I'm also getting an increase in non-paying winning bidders, which as any seller will know, is extremely frustrating. I've just ignored and deleted the sales from my history up until now. But NO MORE, I've started recording sales as non payment and leaving negative feedback. I wouldn't mind quite so much if they contacted me or responded to emails I send to them but nothing. As I promise next day posting and leave the house for work at 8.00, I try to speed things up by wrapping the item as soon as the auction (or even through the Buy It Now option) finishes - I don't address the item, just in case it's another non-payer.

I really feel that auction sites should start naming and shaming non-payers - even if it's with a RED STAR or CROSS next to the bidder's ID - thus telling everyone that this person has history of non payment. We, as sellers, are, quite rightly, expected to fulfil our side of the deal by describing the item correctly, packing it safely and appropriately and posting it when we say we will, surely it's not unreasonably to ask a buyer to fulfil their part of the transaction as well?
    Last edited by Spot50; 9th May 2015 at 01:13 PM.
    http://uk.ebid.net/items/Spot50

Default Re: Increase in no-payers?

Noticed a BIG increase in NPBs this year ..mind you also a big increase in Newbies
    - AND who come back again which is good.

If someone buys in error and tells me so then I leave a Neutral.
    They might come back to eBid some day.

It is the no contact ones that really annoy me. Do not reply to Questions or resending invoice.
    Do not reply to an email asking if they bid/bought in error and would they like to cancel ...
    .. nothing, nada, zilch.

I have been leaving them a Neutral also with the words : NPB. No contact
    - rather than going straight to a Negative
    If any seller clicks on their name in future they would see the Neutral.
    Or the potential buyer might come back - never happened to me though!

Usually the fees are only pennies so I do not claim them back.
    eBid gives me a platform to sell on so I do not feel it is their fault if a potential buyer is a messer.

So.. what is the way forward? Should I be leaving a Negative right away? Or just stay as I am?

PS...
    auction sites should start naming and shaming non-payers
    If anyone gets too many Negs eBid puts a line through their name
    Last edited by CarnoustieCats; 9th May 2015 at 01:29 PM.
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    PS...
    auction sites should start naming and shaming non-payers
    If anyone gets too many Negs eBid puts a line through their name
    I'm sure you're right in saying eBid do take action against bidders with poor payment issues. My point is that non payment is easy when buying almost anonymously through the internet - whereas not paying and the world knowing about it puts a different light on it.
    Last edited by Spot50; 10th May 2015 at 07:47 AM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

The last three buyers have all been NON-PAYERS!!!! Two of them bought using the 'Buy It Now' option and I have to ask why would you do that?
    This site is a slow selling site at the best of times, but this really takes the biscuit.
    I will give it another 6 months and if it continues in the same fashion as the first half of 2016 then I'm done...
    I had a buyer buy 21 books about 2 months ago, she apologised saying she only meant to watch the items rather than actually buy but if I cancelled then she would buy 5 or 6 items, She was new to the site so I said not a problem and cancelled the sales immediately, I've not heard a word since.. what is wrong with people, don't they understand they are entering into a contract?
    Last edited by Spot50; 3rd June 2016 at 10:25 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    The last three buyers have all been NON-PAYERS!!!! Two of them bought using the 'Buy It Now' option and I have to ask why would you do that?
    Because they are a twit (sorry, wrong vowel in that last word). Some get pleasure and a feeling of power (in their sad and unpowerful life) imagining the angst they have inflicted on you - even though they don't actually know if you are that bothered.

You can set up Require Immediate Payment which (as far as I understand) doesn't complete the purchase attempt until payment is made. As you appear to be suffering non-payers it may be an option worth looking at.

Non-payers are not unique to eBid, these idiots are everywhere.

Forum Newbie
    View maxfli65's Feedback (+220)
    All-About maxfli65
    View maxfli65's Listings
    Forum Posts

I thought I would highlight a sort off scam I got caught out on the "other" site: a bidder bids on 1 item that is just about to finish and another in about 7 days. When the first item finishes they ask can I wait until the next finishes to take advantage of combined postage - you agree. Just before the second item finishes a bid comes in for another again 7 days away and so the cycle continues and finally you stop but don't get paid - have to go through claiming back selling fees etc

A real time waster !!!

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

The problem with requiring immediate payment is that it can be detrimental to encouraging multiple item sales because it makes for complicated shipping charges on combined shipments.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    The problem with requiring immediate payment is that it can be detrimental to encouraging multiple item sales because it makes for complicated shipping charges on combined shipments.
    This is the reason I do not demand immediate payment. As I sell stamps most of my sales are of multiple items. Also, so far, I have had very few non payers.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

I really feel that this (and other) sites should emphasise the importance of placing a bid and if the purchase is not paid for then a consequence should happen, be it as mild as a negative registered against the account - which is displayed in the same way as feedback so future potential buyers and sellers can see how reliable (or not) this person is, to a potential automatic payment being taken for any purchase committed to.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    This is the reason I do not demand immediate payment. As I sell stamps most of my sales are of multiple items. Also, so far, I have had very few non payers.
    I wonder how many people do use it - given all the fuss to get eBid to implement it.

Non-payers are just par for the course. As the old saying goes... If you can't take a joke then you shouldn't have joined up.

Thread Information