Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Job

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Job

What Went Amiss in Job 3--31?

Job's suffering leads him to lament in a series of 10 speeches, where he attempted to justify himself (Job 3, 6-7, 9-10, 12-14,16-17,19, 21, 23-24, 26-28, 29-31)

Job's quest to justify himself, to determine the reason for his suffering, and to understand divine justice; lead to Job facing God with a series of questions, complaints, accusations, and appeals.

Job's three friends spoke back to Job, condemning him based on no evidence except his suffering:

• Eliphaz (friend #1) - [Job 4-5, 15, 22]
    • Bildad (friend #2) - [Job 8, 18, 25]
    • Zophar (friend #3) - [Job 11, 20]

Aside from judging Job and condemning him with no evidence, they misrepresented God's character. The problem was not always what Job's friends knew, for many of their comments were reflective of truth and insight. The problem was what they had no knowledge of, and that was God's divine purpose for allowing Job's testing and attack by Satan.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Who Were The Characters of Job 3-31?

The only ones speaking in these passages were Job and his three friends. God did not say one word to any of them as they batted words back and forth. Job's wife and Satan are not heard from again, following Job's reply to his wife. (Job 2:9-10)

God was well aware of everything that was said, and the suffering that Job was going through. He remained silent.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why Does God Appear To Be Silent During Human Suffering?

Silent - showing restraint in speaking; saying no more than is needed; still; not appearing to be present; hidden; not discerned with the senses. God may be silent during human suffering, but he is always present everywhere.

I had a very troubling experience, and walked into a New York train car afterwards. I saw the following train car ad pictured below, and knew without a doubt that God knew and cared.

Attachment 50629

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some have recommended reading the Book of Psalms before reading Job. Both books are classified as wisdom literature.

There are various types of Psalms, but the most numerous are the Psalms of Lament. These Psalms express great anquish and suffering, but they seem different in expression than the lament of Job. The lament or expressions of great suffering in Psalms usually moves from lament to praise/grief to joy.

The Psalm of Lament follows a basic pattern with all or many of the following elements:

Addressed to God
    Describe the suffering
    Lay blame on the responsible people or person
    Claim of innocence
    Admission of guilt or fault
    Request for help from God
    Faith that their request (prayer) was heard
    Faith that God would respond or act on their behalf
    Song of thanksgiving in anticipation of deliverance
    Song of thanksgiving for God's demonstrated goodness

Job's lament occurred in large part from Job 3--31; and could in some ways be considered an extreme Psalm of Lament. I have often enjoyed the reading of Psalms following the reading of Job. Now I can see the value of reading Psalms pre and post Job.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

What Was Different About Job's Lament and A Typical Psalm of Lament?

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    What Went Amiss in Job 3--31?

Job's suffering leads him to lament in a series of 10 speeches, where he attempted to justify himself (Job 3, 6-7, 9-10, 12-14,16-17,19, 21, 23-24, 26-28, 29-31)

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post

The Psalm of Lament follows a basic pattern with all or many of the following elements:

Addressed to God
    Describe the suffering
    Lay blame on the responsible people or person
    Claim of innocence
    Admission of guilt or fault
    Request for help from God
    Faith that their request (prayer) was heard
    Faith that God would respond or act on their behalf
    Song of thanksgiving in anticipation of deliverance
    Song of thanksgiving for God's demonstrated goodness
    Job's speeches opened addressing no one in particular (Job 3) or one or more of his three friends.

Job did describe his suffering in a series of complaints and accusations

Job laid blame on one or more of his three friends for being worthless physicians or on God directly; he never blamed Satan, the one responsible for his suffering.

Job did make repeated claims that he was innocent; doing nothing to deserve his suffering.

Job demanded an answer from God concerning his suffering. He did not overtly seem to pray or ask for help with his situation.

Job did not seem to voice that God heard his bitter complaint, saw his suffering, or would come to his aid.

Job did not appear to be singing any songs of thanksgiving for anticipated delivery from his current situation.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Reading of the Book of Psalms pre and/or post reading the Book of Job is beneficial in many ways. The daily devotional reading of Psalms is delightful, refreshing, inspirational, and provides many insights into handling life's challenges and struggles.

The Psalms help to enhance understanding of some of the prickly questions about Job that are frequently asked. The two books share many things in common. Both Psalms and Job are literally complex, and belong to multiple genres (Biblical literary types).

Major Genres of The Book of Job *
    Lament
    Wisdom
    Poetry
    Law ("The Law Suit")
    Philosophical Dialogue
    Controversy Dialogue (Self Vindication)
    Dramatic Irony
    Poetic Use of Mythological Allusions

*Literary Features of the Book of Job by Gregory W. Parsons

Major Genres of the Book of Psalms *

Lament Psalms (Individual & Community)

Specialized Lament Psalms (Penitential - repenting for sins; Imprecatory - uttering curses /appealing to the heavenly Judge for judicial redress)

Prayers of Lament

Psalms of Wisdom
    Psalms of Thanksgiving
    Hymns of Praise
    Psalms of Confidence
    Psalms of Creation

Liturgical Psalms (For Public Worship)
    - Covenant Songs
    - Royal Psalms
    - Songs of Zion
    - Temple Liturgies

*Types of Psalms: Classifying Psalms By Genre, by Dennis Bratcher

*Types of Psalms--Knowing the Genres in the Psalms, Rose Publishing 2015

Aside from having rich and diversified literary styles, both Job and Psalms are included in The Writings [Ketuvim], the third major division of Hebrew Bible. Both books are classified as wisdom literature. Expressions of lament (to express sorrow) or suffering are the key focus of Job (3--31); and are the most numerous genre found in the Book of Psalms.

Would like to look at the genres of lament in Job, his complaint and pursuit of vindication (the law suit), and his use of controversial dialogue throughout Job 3--31. Some of the genres of the Book of Psalms will also be looked at, to address key issues of Job. The goal is to perhaps come away with a better understanding of Job. This of course does not include Job's questions.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job's extreme expressions of lament or suffering were reflected in some of the Psalms of Individual Lament. Following Job's testing in chapters 1--2, ...."he opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth." (Job 3:1) Job asked "the why question" five (5) times in that chapter.

Job asked a series of rhetorical questions as to why he had even been born (3:11, 12, 16); why those in misery are not allowed to die (3:20); "Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in?" (3:23) In response to Job's comments and why questions, his friend Eliphaz starts out by asking if anyone might get a word through with Job. (Job 4--5) He essentially called Job a sinner, a fool.......and gave the catch all solution of......"But if it were I, I would.......I would......" (5:8) He told Job that he could call out but no one in heaven was going to answer him. (Job 5:1) Eliphaz summed up his assessment of Job's predicament with ......."We have examined this, and it is true. So hear it and apply it to yourself." (Job 5:27)

While Job received no compassion from his friend, he was not alone in asking "the why question". Psalms 42 and 43 are Prayers of Lament by an Individual. These two Psalms were originally a single prayer. The psalter asked "the why question" six times in Psalm 42; and in Psalm 43 the question "why" was asked four (4) times.

The psalter in Psalm 43:1 cried out, "Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause....." Job also had asked for God to vindicate him. Aside from the Genre of Lament, the Genre of Law or the lawsuit featured prominently throughout Job's speeches. Job actually demands a hearing with God, for the purpose of vindication.

The prayer of lament found in Psalms differs, in that the cry for vindication was a prayer, a petition , a request addressed to God. The "why" of Psalm 42:5, 11; and Psalm 43:5 are actually being asked to himself; and the psalter actually encourages himself. This is called "faith encouraging faith".

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
    Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." (NIV)

However, "the why question" of Psalm 42:9 "I say to God my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me?' 'Why......' " Also "the why question" of Psalm 43:2 "You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why......" These expressions of questioning God sound alot like Job's questioning.

Jesus cried out on the cross......" Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" -- which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Throughout the ages and during contemporary times, the troubling question has been asked "Why do bad things happen to good people?" (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:33-34)

I also ponder this question, and always feel inadequate to fully explain it. Comfort is available in God's word for many troubling circumstances. Ultimately God is in control no matter what the circumstances look like.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

In regards to the genre or literary types being considered in addressing the Book of Job, the Controversial Dialogue or Dialogue - Dispute will be used as an umbrella for the other genre types. The dialogue - dispute began with Job's opening lament. Job's lament has been classified by some as an extreme Psalm of Lament. (see posts #14 & #16) The Lament of Job is also considered a major genre in Job. His lament was considered extreme in regards to the depth of his suffering (see Job 6:1-3); and that his lament spans at least 19 chapters of the Book of Job.

Following Job's opening lament, the dialogue - dispute continued with three (3) cycles of speeches. The pattern of the disputes was fascinating; one can see that each cycle followed Job's lament(s). This in and of itself is quite a peculiar way to respond to the suffering of a person.

The 3 cycles of dialogue - dispute occurred in chapters 4---14 (Eliphaz thru Job's speeches); chapters 15---21 (Eliphaz thru Job's speeches); and chapters 22 thru 27 (Eliphaz thru Job's speeches).

Job's lament/dialogue - dispute speeches can be found in chapters 3, 6-7,9-10, 12-14, 16-17, 19, 21, 23-24, and 26-27.

Eliphaz's (friend #1) dialogue - dispute speeches can be found in chapters 4-5, 15, and 22; the beginning of each cycle.

Bildad's (friend #2) dialogue - dispute speeches can be found in chapters 8, 18, and 25.

Zopar's (friend #3) dialogue - dispute speeches can be found in chapters 11 and 20.

It is interesting to note that Eliphaz was the oldest of Job's three friends; that he took the lead position in the dispute cycles; and that he was the friend that was named/targeted by God for rebuke. God expressed that he was angry with him and his two friends. (see Job 42:7-10)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job's speeches appeared mainly to be lament and/or complaint in structure. He responded to the dispute/response of his friends with his own mix of lament/complaint/dispute. However, Job's main complaint was directed towards God. In Job 9, Bildad's speech is met with a response from Job.

However, Job makes it clear that he wished to dispute with God directly. (See 9:3, 14-16) Job speaks of the futility of forgetting his complaint (9:27) and goes on to express that he had full intentions of speaking out in full bitterness of soul to God (See Job 10:1-2)

Job never said that he was without sin (9:2); but he does want to know what sin he could have committed, to bring about such suffering. (Job 10:2)

Within this short interchange of scripture, the three main genre's of the Book of Job can be seen. There is a dynamic interaction of lament/complaint; controversial - dispute; and terminology of the law suit. This occurred within the context of Job's third speech found in Job 9-10.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

In the fourth speech of Job (12-14), he again clearly states....."But I desire to speak to the Almighty and to argue my case with God." (Job 13:3) The responses of Job's three friends, has been described by some as a counter suit, to Job's suit (complaint) against God. Job debates this position in chapter 13:6-8 (NIV)

• "Hear now my argument; listen to the plea of my lips. Will you speak wickedly on God's behalf? Will you speak deceitfully for him? Will you show him partiality? Will you argue the case for God?"

Job is desiring to present his case before God, in order to be vindicated by God. (See Job 13:15, 18-19) Job's desire increases in intensity to an actual demand for vindication. His lament at times escalated into a complaint, to demands (Job 13:22-23), to actual accusations against God. (See Job 13:24-27)

It is important to understand that Job is speaking from an intense experience of suffering. He also has absolutely no knowledge of the interchanges that occurred in chapters 1-2 between God and Satan. Job's accusations are based on his perceptions; God had done none of those things to Job.

Throughout this incredible verbal exchange between Job and his three friends, God continues to maintain silence. He does not respond; he is not brought on the scene by the disputes,complaints, demands, or accusations. However, God is aware of every word that was spoken, and the attitudes of the heart, of each of the participants.

God seems to show up when he is praised and worshiped; he inhabits the praises of his people. Look at when God showed up and spoke to Job. It was immediately after the young observer Elihu's magnification of God in praise and adoration. (See Job 36:22---37:1-24) "Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:........" (Job 38:1)

Thread Information