Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There must be an easier way....

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: There must be an easier way....

A duvet is SOMEWHAT like a comforter in that it is a rather thick cover. But, UNLIKE a comforter, it has an envelope-type, sheet-like cover that can be removed for washing, as the thick comforter would not fit in a lot of home washing machines. In the UK, it seems people use the sheet-covered duvet directly on the bed as a top sheet, requiring a major engineering feat just to change your bed sheets.

Having lived in the UK now for about 10 years, I still have to wonder why on earth people put up with them. They are SUCH a pain to put in, take out, and fiddle with. I stick with regular sheets on my bed....one top sheet, one fitted bottom sheet, blankets, and a simple bedspread. For guest rooms I use the duvets that were here when I came, and just struggle with them occasionally to wash and replace the cover. It's one area of general life where I think Americans and some other countries got something right. Duvets are poorly designed, and it would at least help if the opening was on the longer edge, or smack down the middle. Much easier to have sheets on the bed that are easy to wash and put on every week or so without all the contortions.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I love down comforters, and fluffy duvet innerds! Just don't like taking the duvet cover off every time I change the sheets.....so I just use sheets, and then, if I use a duvet, it's like a thick blanket. but not touching the person, so I don't wash it as often as the sheets.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

i have a water bed

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    A duvet is SOMEWHAT like a comforter in that it is a rather thick cover. But, UNLIKE a comforter, it has an envelope-type, sheet-like cover that can be removed for washing, as the thick comforter would not fit in a lot of home washing machines. In the UK, it seems people use the sheet-covered duvet directly on the bed as a top sheet, requiring a major engineering feat just to change your bed sheets.

Having lived in the UK now for about 10 years, I still have to wonder why on earth people put up with them. They are SUCH a pain to put in, take out, and fiddle with. I stick with regular sheets on my bed....one top sheet, one fitted bottom sheet, blankets, and a simple bedspread. For guest rooms I use the duvets that were here when I came, and just struggle with them occasionally to wash and replace the cover. It's one area of general life where I think Americans and some other countries got something right. Duvets are poorly designed, and it would at least help if the opening was on the longer edge, or smack down the middle. Much easier to have sheets on the bed that are easy to wash and put on every week or so without all the contortions.
    I solve the problem by having sheets with my duvet so I don't have to change the cover so often. Btw I've also got duvet covers that do up along the long edge (only single ones though, I haven't yet found a double one that fastens along the long edge)

I use white cotton hotel type sheets but have duvets on top of the mattress as our bed has those buttons on that stick in you and hurt, mike has a top duvet on his side of the bed as he gets cold but i just have a cotton sheet and cotton blanket on top as i am hot stuff

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

we too sleep on top of the duvet and have a sheet and fleece for when it gets colder. The carer helps change mine and we do it the inside out, grab the corners and shake method
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I use white cotton hotel type sheets but have duvets on top of the mattress as our bed has those buttons on that stick in you and hurt, mike has a top duvet on his side of the bed as he gets cold but i just have a cotton sheet and cotton blanket on top as i am hot stuff
    Then why don't you keep Mike warm?

I bought my first duvet in France (the word is French) in 1959 having encountered them as a schoolboy in 1954. They are brilliant! The word originally referred to the down with which they were filled. (Think of "w" as being a double "v").

I've always used the two corner method shown me by a very old lady (or so it appeared to me) over half a century ago. The duvet itself is laid flat on the bed; I place my arms inside the cover which is inside out, and grasp the two nearer corners through the cover. Luckily my wrists still revolve in the normal way. A twist of the wrists pulls the end of the duvet into the cover. Moving back ward, the duvet starts to drop inside the cover, slipping down with the action of dragging. When it is about three quarters of the way along I reverse the whole item and simply pull the cover the rest of the way. Half a minute or so will then tidy up the whole thing.

The easiest way to practise is with a pillow and its case; "pillow case" is, in French, "envelope" - do have fun!

Getting married might not be an option anyway. I'm married but apparently it is on the list of jobs (that I have never seen) as one of my duties.

Thread Information