Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling Fee for Shipping

Forum Newbie
    View jbsales222's Feedback (+217)
    All-About jbsales222
    View jbsales222's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Handling Fee for Shipping

I would like to see a change to the Handling Fee that's added to Shipping Fee to allow negative numbers (with confirmation prompt when adding negative). Then, after doing this, that value would be subtracted from the shipping fee presented to the buyer. If that results in shipping fee of 0 or less, present "Free Shipping" to the buyer.

For example: Say I have a small item with a shipping weight of 2 ounces. The domestic 1st Class shipping fee for this would be $2.54 plus cost of a box (maybe $1.00 for box). If I could enter $3.54 into the field, the buyer would get offered "Free Shipping" if they choose the 1st Class option. Or, they could select option of paying an additional $2.21($5.95 - $3.74) to have it shipped in a Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box (box provided free by USPS). Or, if item is too large for that box, $3.54 off the USPS $5.75 to $8.35 (zone dependent) rate for a 1 pound Priority Mail package.

And, the "Free" Domestic shipping allotment (or part of it) could then be subtracted from the International Shipping rate computed for a non-USA buyer to not end up charging International buyers significantly more for items which are sold with "Free Shipping" to domestic buyers.
    Last edited by jbsales222; 14th January 2016 at 08:04 AM.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Handling Fee for Shipping

Sorry jb but I cannot understand the changes you are asking for.

Maybe this is a question for a US seller to answer.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can't see what's wrong with a straightforward shipping charge. Just put your shipping charge for the item you are selling. No complications, no chance of misunderstandings. Combine shipping for multiple purchases, yes. Anything else seems to be unnecessary.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Afraid I too am struggling to understand OP's issue. Basically the system is designed to allow the seller to enter a handling charge to cover the expenses while the actual postage is calculated according to what the carrier charges based on weight, size and distance. What precisely are you looking to change, OP.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

In other words:

In order to offer "Free Shipping", I must include cost of shipping, packaging, and higher eBid fee in my asking price for the item. I would like the ability to offer Priority Mail with the amount I add to cover "Free Shipping" via First-Class subtracted from the Priority Mail fee and have that computed so that it will auto-adjust when USPS has a rate increase.

On a related issue, some items I have listed for sale have to be shipped as a First-Class Letter or Large Envelope to be cost competitive with eBay. However, shipping them this way means there is no tracking or insurance. I would like to have the ability to offer buyer the option having these items shipped as a First-Class package and have these prices computed so that they auto adjust any time USPS has a rate increase. Plus the ability to add a handling fee if First-Class Letter is selected (no discount available for online purchase of postage) or no handling fee if higher priced First-Class package option is selected (handling fee covered by cost saving of purchasing postage online).

However, if a First-Class Letter or Large Envelope is selected, it is then no longer possible to define a First-Class package as an alternate to give the buyer the option of whether to have tracking and insurance on it nor indication as to whether or not tracking and insurance are included.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Another example:

I list an item with Free Shipping for USA buyers. This particular item will cost me $2.54 to ship to USA buyers. For international (non USA) buyers, I would like to enter -2.54 in the International Handling Fee field so that they are charged the international postage rate for their country minus the $2.54 which I have included in price of the item to cover my expense for "Free Shipping" for USA buyers of that item.

As for the prompt when negative is entered, that is to minimize the chances of a negative number being accidentally entered in that field.

Like you, I include a handling charge to cover part of the PayPal and shipping material cost. It would be nice to have this as a separate entry for each different shipping method. I did ask for it once in the Website Suggestions forum, but it hasn't happened.

I understand your question, but I'm afraid I don't agree with your idea. Your "free shipping" isn't really free, since you're including it in the sale price. Also, many online shoppers (like me) sort by price, lowest to highest, when looking for something, so your listings would probably be at the bottom because their cost would be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    ...ing it in the sale price. Also, many online shoppers (like me) sort by price, lowest to highest, when looking for something, so your listings would probably be at the bottom because their cost would be higher.
    Which is why it's important to have a "sort by price + postage" option.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I understand your question, but I'm afraid I don't agree with your idea. Your "free shipping" isn't really free, since you're including it in the sale price. Also, many online shoppers (like me) sort by price, lowest to highest, when looking for something, so your listings would probably be at the bottom because their cost would be higher.
    "Free Shipping" never is. If you list an item as having "Free Shipping" then your price for the item has to be high enough to cover your cost of shipping. Without that, you will lose money on the sale in which case, what's the point of selling anything?

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Which is why it's important to have a "sort by price + postage" option.
    I said that a long time ago in another post. As it is now, I find many "very low cost" items with very high shipping prices being listed way before mine which are actually significantly lower cost once shipping is added in.

Without shipping being added in, eBid could be loosing significant sales percentage income as buyers looking for low cost could be picking items with significantly higher shipping fees rather than continuing to look down the list if items to find the one that really is the lowest once shipping cost is added in.

Thread Information