eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been selling for two years, no problem, and then.....

Default Been selling for two years, no problem, and then.....

I've been selling here for about two years. I've sold about twice as many items as shown by my FB and never had a single problem. My FB is all+ and I try to give my buyers good service.

I'm in my sixties and my parents generation are all in their eighties. Last weekend I was told that an aunt had been taken into hospital, seriousy ill. I quickly wrapped a parcel for a sale that day and my partner posted it Monday morning. I have been back and forth to the hospital all week sometimes staying overnight. My partner posted the parcel Monday morning but when I got back I realised that I had failed to check the delivery address, something I usually do as many of my buyers are making their first purchase on Ebid. The Paypal address, to which I sent it, differed from the Ebid address. The postcodes are L23 and L22 so must be quite close. I messaged the buyer through Ebid and to their Email but have had no reply. I'm waiting for a message saying the parcel has not arrived.

The second problem is I think more serious. While I was away my partner, who has no interest in on-line selling (and usually has nothing to do with my selling)got a message through Ebid about an item. The would be buyer was local and wanted to collect in person. He gave a phone number so she phoned and arranged a time when I would be there to complete the sale. I said that was OK as I could edit the listing to give collection in person as a delivery option when I got back. The item has been listed RUS for months with very little interest so I thought that would be OK. I returned yesterday and found that another person had bought and paid for the same item.

The person who wants to collect will be here this afternoon and my instinct is to honour that sale (if they are happy with the item) as they arranged this first, to cancel the other sale and refund. Is this the best thing to do?

Both items are low value £5 and £5.50 and I'm more interested in protecting my account and FB than in keeping the proceeds, my selling here is getting better and I'm concerned that a couple of - FB will ruin a good reputation that has taken two years to establish.

Any advice about either problem would be much appreciated.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Been selling for two years, no problem, and then.....

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    I've been selling here for about two years. I've sold about twice as many items as shown by my FB and never had a single problem. My FB is all+ and I try to give my buyers good service.

I'm in my sixties and my parents generation are all in their eighties. Last weekend I was told that an aunt had been taken into hospital, seriousy ill. I quickly wrapped a parcel for a sale that day and my partner posted it Monday morning. I have been back and forth to the hospital all week sometimes staying overnight. My partner posted the parcel Monday morning but when I got back I realised that I had failed to check the delivery address, something I usually do as many of my buyers are making their first purchase on Ebid. The Paypal address, to which I sent it, differed from the Ebid address. The postcodes are L23 and L22 so must be quite close. I messaged the buyer through Ebid and to their Email but have had no reply. I'm waiting for a message saying the parcel has not arrived.

The second problem is I think more serious. While I was away my partner, who has no interest in on-line selling (and usually has nothing to do with my selling)got a message through Ebid about an item. The would be buyer was local and wanted to collect in person. He gave a phone number so she phoned and arranged a time when I would be there to complete the sale. I said that was OK as I could edit the listing to give collection in person as a delivery option when I got back. The item has been listed RUS for months with very little interest so I thought that would be OK. I returned yesterday and found that another person had bought and paid for the same item.

The person who wants to collect will be here this afternoon and my instinct is to honour that sale (if they are happy with the item) as they arranged this first, to cancel the other sale and refund. Is this the best thing to do?

Both items are low value £5 and £5.50 and I'm more interested in protecting my account and FB than in keeping the proceeds, my selling here is getting better and I'm concerned that a couple of - FB will ruin a good reputation that has taken two years to establish.

That's a difficult one. I can only answer through gut feeling. For me, the person who has paid for the item in good faith should have their transaction honoured. With regard to the collection, as they have not yet parted with any cash, I would telephone them, apologise and explain the situation. You have no registered transaction with that person yet, so they cannot leave you poor feedback. The person who has paid can!
    I had a situation a while ago that took me away at short notice. I was glad of smart phone, email and the ebid app to help me keep track of things.
    If you are juggling too many balls, better to stick your store on holiday settings for a couple of days.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post

Just my two pennerth ~ and other opinions may well differ.
    Issue 1: Assuming you messaged the Buyer via the ASL and not a PM then the Buyer should, given the personal issues you are suffering, be understanding. When emailing Buyer's I usually post a copy of it on the ASL also - to cover me should anything go pear-shaped. You have Paypal Seller's protection since you posted to PP address? (again, assuming you kept proof of postage?).
    Issue 2: Your 2nd Buyer has paid. Cancel that & you will be in for a very likely neg + will have the fees to find. Granted not much but it's the principle.
    I would contact the 1st Buyer, explain the personal issues you have & what has happened, and explain that you feel contractually bound to honour the sale to the person who has paid. Plenty of apologies & pleadings for understanding.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I feel that 100% positive feedback is desirable but we are none of us perfect (even buyers!) - the first one really hurts but, with the best will in the world, sooner or later you will make a mistake - don't worry about it too much. Your family and their health are MUCH more important.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Thankyou, Rame, Cheaver and Madelaine for your replies and advice. My aunt sadly passed away a few days after my post. She will be missed by all of us.

I did set up a holiday notification as advised but I'm not sure if it ever went active (anyway I've deleted it now). All the messages I sent except the personal email were on the ASL and I did send the statue to the PP address.

I thought about cancelling the collect sale but in the end cancelled the other one that had paid. I thought that as he was first to show interest I really should complete. I refunded, sent an apologetic message and offered a discount on their next purchase (if they make another)as a goodwill gesture.

So far I haven't got a neg or had a message from the buyer with different addresses so hopefully both are reasonably happy. As I sold the glasses by listing here I think Ebid is entitled to the fee which they will get but on the other sale.

On a lighter note I see my signatue has returned. Thanks again for your replies.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry to hear about your aunt. As Madelaine said, some things really are more important.

If the first one wanted it and to collect it why didn't he buy it and then collect it, have i got the wrong end of the stick ?

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11873)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

So sorry to hear of your recent loss.

In retrospect, when a differing address shows, I always contact the buyer via the ASL to confirm the correct address to post to. Normally it is an oversight on the buyer... worth noting that the buyer is not 'Paypal' protected if you send to an alternative address, so the onus is on the buyer to be up to date with their details.

As for the other concern, I would always go with the buyer who commits, especially using the eBid process.

Hope it helps, best wishes

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    If the first one wanted it and to collect it why didn't he buy it and then collect it, have i got the wrong end of the stick ?
    I think he bought it but didn't pay - personally, I only accept cash on collection when the item doesn't got through the post because Paypal will only accept proof of delivery, not a signed receipt, as proper proof - so no paypal when the item is collected.

So sorry to hear about your Aunt, OP,
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Yes, that's what happened. The first buyer wanted to collect and pay on collection. I've read about problems with other sales where payment is made through PP and then collected so was happy that he wanted to pay cash. After this was arranged but before he collected the second buyer bought and payed through PP.

It's weird that after so long without a problem, I usually check addresses and haven't had one that differed, I get two in one week and at the same time that I'm pre-occupied with my aunt.

Anyway both problems seem to have sorted themselves. No negative FB and no message from the buyer with two addresses.

My aunt was a lovely person but a bit eccentric and I was worried I would have another chaotic estate to sort out but she was more organised than I thought. The funeral arranged and pre-paid, her solicitor as executor and her son (the black sheep of the family) being very helpfull.

Thankyou to all for your kind messages.

Thread Information