eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackberries

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Blackberries

I'm eating a punnet from Sainsburys atm.

When I was young, I used to occasionally eat the wild ones on the way to school. The wild ones seem sweeter than shop bought for some reason. One evening, my mother picked some as she was making a dessert. I asked her why she put them in warm, salty water and she told me it was to kill the maggots. An hour later, I saw all the little maggots floating on the top. That was the last time I picked blackberries on the way to school.

So this year, I was walkng through a park and saw thousands of plump, juicy blackberries growing wild. I saw two women collecting the berries in a bowl and eating them at the same time. I felt slightly compelled to tell them the fruit was probably infested with larvae but decided against it. Why ruin their fun? So I thought they can't all be infected. There were thousands of them. I picked one and ate it. The flavour was quite intense and I wanted to make a dessert with them. Maybe a blackberry sponge with cream or a smoothie. I brought a little bag with me the next day and picked a good handful. When I got home, I put them in a pint glass of warm water and salt and left them for an hour. When I returned, I saw about 15 maggots trying to squirm out of the berries but some were trapped in the fruit. They were translucent with black organs. I gagged at the thought of eating a berry the day before and threw the berries outside. There were still a few maggots crawling on the bottom of the glass.

So here I am, eating a punnet of blackberries from Sainsburys. I've decided not to immerse them in salty water, because ignorance is bliss

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Blackberries

Quote Originally Posted by Merking View Post
    I'm eating a punnet from Sainsburys atm.

When I was young, I used to occasionally eat the wild ones on the way to school. The wild ones seem sweeter than shop bought for some reason. One evening, my mother picked some as she was making a dessert. I asked her why she put them in warm, salty water and she told me it was to kill the maggots. An hour later, I saw all the little maggots floating on the top. That was the last time I picked blackberries on the way to school.

So this year, I was walkng through a park and saw thousands of plump, juicy blackberries growing wild. I saw two women collecting the berries in a bowl and eating them at the same time. I felt slightly compelled to tell them the fruit was probably infested with larvae but decided against it. Why ruin their fun? So I thought they can't all be infected. There were thousands of them. I picked one and ate it. The flavour was quite intense and I wanted to make a dessert with them. Maybe a blackberry sponge with cream or a smoothie. I brought a little bag with me the next day and picked a good handful. When I got home, I put them in a pint glass of warm water and salt and left them for an hour. When I returned, I saw about 15 maggots trying to squirm out of the berries but some were trapped in the fruit. They were translucent with black organs. I gagged at the thought of eating a berry the day before and threw the berries outside. There were still a few maggots crawling on the bottom of the glass.

So here I am, eating a punnet of blackberries from Sainsburys. I've decided not to immerse them in salty water, because ignorance is bliss
    well told to warn us

No idea what you're talking about, I've got a Samsung

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

I only ate half of the Sainsburys punnet and took the rest to work the next day.

Before eating the other half, I noticed the berry juice had run and there was clearly a few maggots cruising around in the juice against the plastic punnet. You couldn't mistake it for something else. They'll curl up and stretch out without agitation.

I thought supermarkets used pesticides on their non organic range of fruits and wasn't expecting to find them tbh. I'm sure they're harmless but it's bizarre to me. If you were it eat a fresh dessert like a cheesecake or gateaux that contained berries, chances are they contain a few maggots.

What are your thoughts on these maggots? Will you still eat blackberries and raspberries? I know fresh foods can legally contain a certain amount of live worms, like the long tapeworm looking ones that live in fresh cod fillets etc. I didn't believe that cod contained them until I saw it on YouTube. Someone's wife I know bought a cod fillet and took it home. A giant, white worm came out of it on her kitchen work surface. She returned it to the supermarket and the fishmonger told her it was perfectly natural and wouldn't have survived being cooked. I've been eating cod fillet all my life and thought that long, white , stringy bit I occasionally found was just a vein

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Merking View Post
    I only ate half of the Sainsburys punnet and took the rest to work the next day.

Before eating the other half, I noticed the berry juice had run and there was clearly a few maggots cruising around in the juice against the plastic punnet. You couldn't mistake it for something else. They'll curl up and stretch out without agitation.

I thought supermarkets used pesticides on their non organic range of fruits and wasn't expecting to find them tbh. I'm sure they're harmless but it's bizarre to me. If you were it eat a fresh dessert like a cheesecake or gateaux that contained berries, chances are they contain a few maggots.

What are your thoughts on these maggots? Will you still eat blackberries and raspberries? I know fresh foods can legally contain a certain amount of live worms, like the long tapeworm looking ones that live in fresh cod fillets etc. I didn't believe that cod contained them until I saw it on YouTube. Someone's wife I know bought a cod fillet and took it home. A giant, white worm came out of it on her kitchen work surface. She returned it to the supermarket and the fishmonger told her it was perfectly natural and wouldn't have survived being cooked. I've been eating cod fillet all my life and thought that long, white , stringy bit I occasionally found was just a vein
    i was told as a kid bb had maggots in them, so this always stuck with me, if i do pick one to eat i break it open to look, we had lots of bb pies over the autumn all cooked,

cant say the idea of dining on maggots is appealing, but they are rich in protein, some would have use eat them along with other bugs , good luck to them, il stick to real meat, thank you,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i feel sick now!
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

I went to a new restaurant on Saturday https://www.facebook.com/Grub-Kitche...93139/?fref=nf
    and I had the bug burger. It was very crunchy but not particularly appetising. My sister had the bug Wellington with wild mushrooms and spinach and that didn't look very appealing either but apparently the chef was invited to ITV on Friday to make this particular dish and you'll be able to see it on ITV on Boxing Day. I don't know which program it's on but it'll probably be on one of those morning cookery shows.

I don't like berries so won't be eating them, but i will gut a fresh caught trout remove innards and maggots and then sit and eat it, pork is said to have worms in as well and to soak it in coke to get them out, i refuse to soak pork in coke and just scoff it, should also not eat raw bacon but i can't resist a bit.

You eat raw pork and Bacon???

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

are cat threw up a worm once , about a foot long, with a head with teeth , it got burnt
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information