Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal embargoed countries

Default PayPal embargoed countries

A couple of years ago my PayPal account was suspended because somehow it picked up that I sold a stamp issued by Sudan. The problem, and I was not aware of it, was that Sudan was an embargoed country along with others such as Cuba, Iran and North Korea. Does anyone know whether these embargoes have been lifted? Reason I ask is that there are still a number of stamp listings on eBid indicating Sudan, but some others list the stamps as South Sudan. Is South Sudan an allowed "get out of jail" ?

Ray

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: PayPal embargoed countries

he restricted countries vary depending on the country where your business is domiciled. In the US, you can generally expect that payments will not be accepted from the following countries:

• Belarus
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Cote d'Ivoire
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Liberia (Former Regime of Charles Taylor)
    • Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions
    • North Korea
    • Sierra Leone
    • Sudan
    • Syria
    • Western Balkans
    • Zimbabwe

this generally applies to the uk because PP PARENT COMPANY is US based as far as i understand,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    he restricted countries vary depending on the country where your business is domiciled. In the US, you can generally expect that payments will not be accepted from the following countries:

• Belarus
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Cote d'Ivoire
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Liberia (Former Regime of Charles Taylor)
    • Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions
    • North Korea
    • Sierra Leone
    • Sudan
    • Syria
    • Western Balkans
    • Zimbabwe

this generally applies to the uk because PP PARENT COMPANY is US based as far as i understand,
    You have missed out Cuba. Still embargoed by Paypal despite President Obama's visit.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    You have missed out Cuba. Still embargoed by Paypal despite President Obama's visit.
    Quite a list, much longer than I thought, and containing some countries I did not think of. Is this list published anywhere by PayPal ? I had a search of PayPal but could not find it - probably in an obvious place but I missed it. I just searched stamp listings on eBid for these countries and found that most of them have hundreds of listings many of which also allow payment by PayPal. If PayPal stick to the rules laid down by their US masters, I would have expected PayPal to have made it clear to their sellers.

Ray

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondwatkins View Post
    Quite a list, much longer than I thought, and containing some countries I did not think of. Is this list published anywhere by PayPal ? I had a search of PayPal but could not find it - probably in an obvious place but I missed it. I just searched stamp listings on eBid for these countries and found that most of them have hundreds of listings many of which also allow payment by PayPal. If PayPal stick to the rules laid down by their US masters, I would have expected PayPal to have made it clear to their sellers.

Ray
    You can list stamps from embargoed countries on any auction site. The problem comes when your buyer tries to pay using Paypal. I was caught for one Cuban stamp sold on eBid. The really ironic thing was that the stamp was issued in 1899, about 50 years before Castro and the embargo.
    I am not sure that there is a problem selling stamps issued by all the countries on Sid's list. There certainly would be problems using Paypal to send money to or from any of the countries Sid listed.
    I am certain that Paypal's embargo is not valid in the EU, especially if there is no US involvement . Trouble no-one has tested it in any court so they are allowed to get away with it.

Sledgehammers and walnuts come to mind. As if the sale of a stamp more than 100 years old between a UK seller and presumably a UK buyer would make any difference at all to the current embargo of a country. I wonder if any of those currently listing stamps issued by the embargoed countries that require payment via PayPal will meet with any problems - and there are hundreds of those listings spread over Sid's list ?

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

PayPal will start allowing money transfers to Cuba through its recently acquired service, Xoom.

As President Obama makes his historic visit to Cuba this week, online payments giant PayPal says it’s starting to bring its business to Cuba.
    The effort is part of a deluge of interest by U.S. companies in Cuba including airlines, hotels and other tourist interests following the loosening of trade restrictions. PayPal CEO Dan Schulman, who is visiting Cuba this week along with President Obama, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, and many other CEOs, said that PayPal PYPL -3.95% would start allowing money transfers to and from Cuba later this year.

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

PayPal will start allowing money transfers to Cuba through its recently acquired service, Xoom.

As President Obama makes his historic visit to Cuba this week, online payments giant PayPal says it’s starting to bring its business to Cuba.
    The effort is part of a deluge of interest by U.S. companies in Cuba including airlines, hotels and other tourist interests following the loosening of trade restrictions. PayPal CEO Dan Schulman, who is visiting Cuba this week along with President Obama, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, and many other CEOs, said that PayPal PYPL -3.95% would start allowing money transfers to and from Cuba later this year.
    The problem is not payments to and from embargoed countries. OP was writing about being sanctioned by Paypal for selling a stamp issued by an embargoed country. In his case, it was a stamp from Sudan: in my case, a stamp issued in 1899 by Cuba. This sanctioning by Paypal is even when the transaction is between two EU countries. The embargo is imposed by USA and incorrectly and illegally applied by Paypal.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    The problem is not payments to and from embargoed countries. OP was writing about being sanctioned by Paypal for selling a stamp issued by an embargoed country. In his case, it was a stamp from Sudan: in my case, a stamp issued in 1899 by Cuba. This sanctioning by Paypal is even when the transaction is between two EU countries. The embargo is imposed by USA and incorrectly and illegally applied by Paypal.
    but that is the whole essence, if there was not a embargo on certain payments from certain countries then trading with products named ie cuban stamp, would not be a problem within two countries or a country not named as a embargoed country,so until a embargo is lifted it will remain a problem for people trading were ever they are, the payment embargo is the problem,

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

but that is the whole essence, if there was not a embargo on certain payments from certain countries then trading with products named ie cuban stamp, would not be a problem within two countries or a country not named as a embargoed country,so until a embargo is lifted it will remain a problem for people trading were ever they are, the payment embargo is the problem,

You have missed my point.
    In your first post on this thread you said "he restricted countries vary depending on the country where your business is domiciled. In the US, you can generally expect that payments will not be accepted from the following countries.
    My point was that that the payments do not have to be FROM an embargoed country. It can be a payment from a non-embargoed to another non-embargoed country for a stamp issued by an embargoed country.
    I did make the point that I consider the embargo to be incorrect and illegal and as such is a problem

Thread Information